Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your first guitar

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Very lucky in that my dad gave me his 70's Yamaha F335 acoustic when I was 13. "Yours this is now, young Padawan. Play Stairway on it, you will." I still have it. Sounds great.

First electric was a early 80's Westone Concord I "borrowed" off one of my cousins until I got an Epi LP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Old thread buzz.
    I was going to post pretty much the same thing :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Learned to play on a couple of guitars, a Fender acoustic and a Samick acoustic, my first guitar was a BC Rich Warlock. One of those pack jobs. Never improved a day with it. It was almost like my guitar education stopped when I bought it.

Things improved greatly when I bought a Big Baby Taylor. I freakin' love that guitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

first guitar was a 3/4 size spanish guitar that i saw being made in the factory. Still have it!

First bass was a squier p-bass special. Woeful guitar...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Still have my first 2 guitars and playing both all the time 28 (acoustic) and 25 (electric) years later. Pics somewhere in the show your gear thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

it was bought when epiphone had gibson on the truss rod cover

I had an SG bass with 'Gibson' on the truss plate! When/why did they stop doing that?

First bass was a tanglewood p-bass, with a cardboard shim under the e-string to control fret buzz :)

First guitar was a cherry burst epiphone les paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

this tele was the first one I paid for!

4587086834_9dfec37df2_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

Yamaha Pacifica like two years ago...
    Still have to get my second though..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

My first one was a black Samick something or other I got when I was 12 (jesus, nearly a decade ago now). Did the trick in those aul formative years. Would post a picture, but I took it apart a while ago to tinker with (repaint, scallop frets etc.), still a "project in progress" though, however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

I played my father guitars since I was about 7 or 8 (not that I appreciated the fact I was playing Gibson Les Pauls and USA Strat Plus, under very careful supervision I maight add!! :D)

But then when I was about 12, the folks got me my very own a BC Rich Mick Thompson Warlock, and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread!! :rolleyes:

It has action that leaves alot to be desired, painfully average pickups, and the one knob on the guitar (master volume) fell off.

But I still play it to this day, and I would never, EVER sell it. To much of that sentimental value stuff. (As opposed to monetary value :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

First acoustic was a Century (?). Rubbish really, It had steel strings but was obviously designed for nylon strings. No truss rod so really thick neck, the bridge was the type you'd find on a nylon strung guitar. It's still around but the body is completely warped.

First electric was a Samick Les Paul copy. Again it wasn't great but I still have it.

First bass was a Squier Affinity Bass, which still gets a look in now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Borrowed my sister's Hohner nylon-stringed acoustic at the start - it was slightly bigger than a ukelele and felt like it was made of Lino. NEver sounded right playing Metallica on it. First guitar of my own was a 2nd hand Marlin loner, strat-a-like in glittery silver with red binding and red marlins up the neck. The pickups were rusty, the locking nut was busted and it stayed in tune for a maximum of about 3 minutes at a time but I loved that glamtastic beast. No idea if it was any good but it sounded good to me through my 10W Park-by-Marshall :) Don't have it any more, gave it to my wife's cousin out of a misguided sense of lefty solidarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

A crappy spanish guitar with 2 strings, both G, and both steel. cost me 20 pound, robbing feckers.

anyway it was worth it as I learned alot on that piece of junk:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My first ever guitar was an aria pro II JS series. Brand new in Music Maker capel st, for £127 irish pounds!!
    Compared to the hand me downs a lot of my friends had it was a beaut, looked pure metal and played great, just cheapo pickups and light body.

i used to make people believe the JS stood for Joe Satch!
    a few weeks later i bought a samic 10w amp.....

savage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

1981 Suzuki Strat' copy.....with a very crackly Vox amp..

Eventually, and 4 or 5 guitars later, bought a real Strat' (albeit of Japanese manufacture) in 1996 and have had it since.

First classical was an entry level Yamaha back in 1980.. now have a nice Manuel Rodriguez MCR11.

First bass was an Ibanez SR300 bought on 2007 - now have a SR700, a Ministar Basstar travel bass and a DIY-defretted Vintage V940......saving for an SR4000e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement