Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studying in Germany

• 09-06-2009 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Dear All

I am planning on moving to Germany to study. I am wondering if there is anybody on here with any advice or suggestions? I am not looking for anything in particular just curious to hear from others who have made the move or are planning it.

Would love to hear from anybody

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hsharz

hi there,

I´m studying in germany (but i´m German too ;-) )

but still i guess i could help you with questions as i was in the same position apllying for college in ireland.

what you have to keep in mind is that there are two different types of colleges one being Universität (university), the other Fachhochschule/Hochschule (sth. like Institue of technology).

Depending on what you want to study you will have to choose. Except for medecine, law there is no general apllication. you have to aplly at each college seperatly.
    most colleges in the west and south have tution fees of 500€ per semestre. colleges in the east and north often don´t.

maybe ask concrete question, and i try to help you.

also some colleges still use the old degree system, which means there is no bachelor/master, but instead "Diplom".

if you have an irish leaving cert. you should generally be allowed to apply providing sufficiant German. but you will have to ask every collge individually how they accept your leaving cert.

good luck...and by the way studying in germany is great :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hiya, I'm in the same boat, trying to arrange doing my masters over there, although I'll be doing mine in English. There seem to be plenty of courses taught in english in science at least dunno bout other subjects, what you doing? Is it a masters or a bachelors?
    I'd say start getting onto the college websites, they almost all have an english version of the site and a section specifically for international students.
    Fees seem reasonable over there too, I'm planning on saving for mine before I go so I don't have to be too stressed out bout getting a job immediately, maybe you should consider going over early to settle in and get used to the place before the college year starts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 khn10ur3bogzpa

Hiya, I'm in the same boat, trying to arrange doing my masters over there, although I'll be doing mine in English. There seem to be plenty of courses taught in english in science at least dunno bout other subjects, what you doing? Is it a masters or a bachelors?
    I'd say start getting onto the college websites, they almost all have an english version of the site and a section specifically for international students.
    Fees seem reasonable over there too, I'm planning on saving for mine before I go so I don't have to be too stressed out bout getting a job immediately, maybe you should consider going over early to settle in and get used to the place before the college year starts too.

I am actually doing a PhD over there. I have my University and Supervisor already lined up and my application is just being rubber stamped.

I am moving next month to Hamburg and was hoping others who have made the move could give some specific advice.

Thanks for your help anyway though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm starting a Masters here in Ireland next October but I would like to do a PhD in Germany, what way do you go about applying? My German isn't great (C2 at Pass level in the Leaving Cert) so will this be a factor or what way does it work? I have ideas, references, a good degree (a 1st) etc... but I'm unsure of the application process in Deutschland. I looked up those language courses at the Goethe Institut but I don't have the time or money to be spending on learning German when I'm doing a masters. If anyone's got any information on the whole PhD application process in Germany, I'd really appreciate it!

Advertisement