Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol pumps stopping when the tank is full

• 09-06-2009 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

How does it work? It's in the nossle of the bump I'm assuming and it stops on contact with further liquid indicating the tank is full - right?

Seen someone earlier at the garage and it didn't stop. It just splashed out at them. Looking at them the nossle seemed to be the whole way in too ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Yeh seems to be the way they all work, ensures success when filling a cannister too! The person you saw may have just continued to override it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Does the button usually make a loud clicking sound though and you have to actually release the handle and compress it again? (I was at the other side of the pump .. surely I'd have heard it?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

From another site:
    When your petrol tank is full, and the nozzle is actually sitting in petrol rather than air, the pipe will suck this petrol through the pipe, rather than air, causing a drop in pressure that is detected by a valve, which shuts off the petrol supply.

I try to fill right up to the brim, but even then I've not had it splash out.

Sounds like a faulty pump then, but next time be a bit more nosey, inform them that you are a mod on boards.ie serving the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

If you look into the end of the nozzle there is a smaller 'tube' opening at the bottom and if fuel goes into that it will sense fuel rather than air, and click the handle off. You have to release the handle and start pumping again to keep going.

Some people who stretch the pipe across their car, when they park on the wrong side, often put the pump in upside down and the tube thing isnt effective then. Also, if you have the pump in at the wrong angle/not far in enough, petrol can splash back into the tube and it will keep clicking off, even when the tank is empty. Just take out the pump and put it back in again, rather than shouting at the employee 'your ****ing pumps are ****in ****e'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Airlock followed by a blowback, the motoring equivalent of a belch.
    Not anything to worry about unless it's repeated in polite company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭beams

eoin wrote: »
    From another site:

I try to fill right up to the brim, but even then I've not had it splash out.

I've managed to do it before with an MR2 turbo. After playing petrol station roulette at 350km on a full tank I ignored the clicking/stopping mechanism and kept going... a bit of a spillage :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

FreeFallin wrote: »
    Sounds like a faulty pump then, but next time be a bit more nosey, inform them that you are a mod on boards.ie serving the people.

Explain please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Stee wrote: »
    Some people who stretch the pipe across their car, when they park on the wrong side, often put the pump in upside down and the tube thing isnt effective then.'

I can confirm this!!! :o:o:o

-Chris- wrote: »
    Explain please?

Basically, if the op had asked the victim exactly what had happened, all would be clear. Not having a stab at mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Stee wrote: »

Some people who stretch the pipe across their car, when they park on the wrong side, often put the pump in upside down and the tube thing isnt effective then.

Yup! Bought that tee-shirt

Al.

Advertisement