Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to replace my trusted Psion 5mx. But for what?

• 09-06-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a PDA with either a digital QWERTY keyboard (available on the screen) that can be used with fingers rather than a wand, or preferably a built-in keyboard. The 5mx PDA is used for personal contacts, banking spreadsheets, diary etc but wouldn't mind web browsing which is pretty standard now on all platforms. Considered the cheap Acer notebooks but it's too bulky. Want something that is palm sized and instant on for quick use.

Nokia N97 looks too small and very expensive; Nokia E75 looks good but small and expensive, the new Apple player maybe an option with excel ability spreadsheet apps. Has anyone any practical advice for a product that can replace this faithful gem.

All suggestions greatly appreciated. Hate to lose the mx but the screens on the way out and it's the nth time fixing. Btw above functions from 5mx are the most important features needed.

HELP!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

mang those things are old school. i remember a guy showed me one when i was just a wee boi and i thought it was the coolest thign ever.

have u looked at the E90? its like the E75, but better

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭md23040

towel401 wrote: »
    have u looked at the E90? its like the E75, but better

The E90 for the price tag sucks in my opinion. The screen is fairly small and keyboard fidgety. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Any other idea's, please help, or is that it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Vaio P :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Check out the article on www.allaboutsymbian.com

Topical, innit ?

HTC TyTn 2 or similar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

md23040 wrote: »

The E90 for the price tag sucks in my opinion. The screen is fairly small and keyboard fidgety. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Any other idea's, please help, or is that it?

I think that is it really. Nothing really replaced the 5mx. Bear in mind the 5mx wasn't cheap either. The iPod Touch keyboard is grand. But as far as I know there not much in the way of editing office docs on it. I think to do that you really need a windows mobile device. The HTC Touch Pro 2 might be decent. Some reviews here. http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/c25/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭md23040

towel401 wrote: »
    Vaio P

The Vaio P is very similar to the Acer and viewed both of these in detail. In my opinion the Acer had the edge on Vaio since it's a lot cheaper with the same sort of features. Unfortunately both are in-between laptops and palms tops and really are small note books rather than useful or portable devices.

BostonB wrote: »
    I think that is it really. Nothing really replaced the 5mx.

Indeed why no one developed a serious business tool device on the design principle of a palm top sized laptop with fully functioning QWERTY keyboard same size of 5mx is beyond me. It's baffling with the plethora of devices within the marketplace that no one followed this path but instead went for convergent multi media technology.

BostonB wrote: »
    The iPod Touch keyboard is grand. But as far as I know there not much in the way of editing office docs on it. I think to do that you really need a windows mobile device.

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/browserRedirect?url=itms%3A%2F%2Fax.itunes.apple.com%2FWebObjects%2FMZStore.woa%2Fwa%2FviewSoftware%3Fid%3D291175981%26mt%3D8

Hopefully this link works but does this app allow for the creation and editing of spreadsheets.

Finally the HTC looks functionally good, well worth considering. Think I read an article in Stuff magazine and it got the thumbs up. But like the Nokia is it on the small size with a screen of three inches or is the pixelation sharp enough to make up for this. The 5mx has a screen size of 7x3 inches comapred to the overall dimensions of the HTC at 116 X 59.2 X 17.25 mm (4.57 X 2.33 X 0.68 inches).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have an iPod touch and somethings I like, some I don't. Not entirely sure how you can backup all the data in applications though.

Advertisement