Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bold Fenian Men

Options
  • 09-06-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys!!

Seriously having problems finding this on youtube, I'm not talking about Down by the Glenside.. you know the one where lyrics go something like:

down the hill twining their blessed steel shining like rivers of beauty that run from each glen come mountain and valley tis liberty's rally, must out and make way for the bold fenian men.

Im just looking for a youtube recording of it! anyone have it or seen it on youtube??

Thanks
    Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Boxman

You can hear a bit of it here, recorded by Seamus Kennedy
    http://bitmunk.com/media/6815908

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

thats the one :) would love a full length youtube vid.. would be nice havent heard it in years... and that one is not the same version i have heard, cant remember who sung it before. the imagery in the lyrics is something else...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dwaincasey

The wolfetonnes did a version of this. Tommy sang it on at least one of their albums.
    His version is absolutely class. I would highly recommend a listen. Particularly if you like this song.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

dwaincasey wrote: »
    The wolfetonnes did a version of this. Tommy sang it on at least one of their albums.
    His version is absolutely class. I would highly recommend a listen. Particularly if you like this song.

I would suggest that you do not listen to this version if you like the song. :)

There's a great Dubliners version - can't remember which album it's on. I'm sure I have it at home - I'll pm you when I get a chance. ;)

there was fella that used to sing it in a pub in finglas.. done a great version but hes long gone.

I cannot believe youtube does not have this song, considering how good it is, the words are brilliant.

The only recording i heard was neither wolfetones or the dubliners.. dont know who!

AHHH!! this is driving me nuts now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Read the charter. No linking to illegal downloads.

ill have a look and see if i can find it there :) thanks!

I would suggest that you do not listen to this version if you like the song. :)

There's a great Dubliners version - can't remember which album it's on. I'm sure I have it at home - I'll pm you when I get a chance. ;)
    I must say that I haven't heard the Dubliners version of it. I would be interested in having a listen as its a great song. Do you know what Album it is be on?

My opinion is that the wolfetones version of this is fantastic, particularly when it was recorded back in the day when Tommy's voice was pretty much pitch perfect.
    I'd advise people to at least listen to this version and make up their own mind if they like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Lads,

Completely forgot about it.. I'll have to check when I'm back in Drogheda - probably won't be 'til next week.

Dwain,

I didn't realise it was that version you were referring to. I've heard a more recent recording by the Wolfe Tones 3 which was appaling. So I retract the above comment.

Great tune. :)

Hi Whiskey devil,
    I should have made that clear in my first post.
    The wolfetones in the 1980's were a terrific band.
    I agree with you 100%, the wolfetones 3 today are pretty poor. Sadly time has not been kind to them. That's old age for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Yeah was at a Tones gig recently and there voices are not as good as they once were, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy the night, the craic was still as good as ever!!

Once Derek left the band they never had the same sound but even it they were back together I don't think they would reach the standard they were at in the '80's.

All'n'All I still think they are one of the best trad. bands of all time!

Advertisement