Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need a new motherboard

Options
  • 09-06-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My brothers computer has been freezing constantly even in safe mode and i think it may need a new motherboard.I have ran spybot malwarebytes and avg but turned nothing up.I then thought it may be running too hot so downloaded speedfan to check it but it is not running hot.I also thought it may be the graphics card but i put my one in his pc and it still froze.I also took out all network cards and sound card to run it on bare essentials and it still froze.I have looked at the motherboard and some of the capacitors are humped on top which i think may be the trouble.The pc has a pentium 4 cpu so new motherboard would have to suit this.Any help with this would be great and thanks a million.

regards,
    Redriddcik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

It could be the hard drive dying.
    Check the system log for any warning or error messages.

It also could be software related so you could try boot from a linux live cd and see if the machine still freezes when using that.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Given everything keeps freezzing my first port of call would be to get all the data off the computer.
    Then run a fresh install of the OS, if it freezes during your install it could very well be a hardware fault.
    Generally if there are issues with the RAM or Graphics the board will beep. If the mobo is fooked then nothing will run, same will apply to the CPU. Networking cards wouldnt cause your system to freeze but incompatible or bad drivers would.
    The problem with this is that there is no one solution. I'd check if you can get into your OS the amount of memory available in case one of the sticks of RAM failed and the system is trying to use its virtual memory (hard drive) to operate which often causes systems to crash.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try a minimum boot but keep the HDD hooked up so you can then go to OS. It'll probably crash. Try again with a second HDD (and a Linux no-install OS CD if there 's no OS on said disc) and see if you still have the problem. Also try and run MemTest86 to see if your RAM is behaving itself. Freezing is often bad drivers and/or bad RAM arther than the mobo (although that could also be on the way out...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

somakasvh wrote: »
    It could be the hard drive dying.
    Check the system log for any warning or error messages.

It also could be software related so you could try boot from a linux live cd and see if the machine still freezes when using that.

Hi tried the ubcd4win this evening and it still crashed.I even tried it again with the hard drive disconnected but still no luck.it must be a hardware issue?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

First up: Just check the connections over and make sure all power and data cables are securely fastened and that no expansion cards are coming loose. Then remove the CMOS battery on the mobo, leave for ~30 seconds and replace. That should clear the CMOS settings and force the BIOS back to its "true" default state. So don't forget to reconfigure any essential timing changes, boot device selection etc. afterward!

Anyway, next component to test is... the case. No, really! Failed contacts in the power or reset switches are very easy to miss and are good at causing absolute havoc! The way to test the case is simple though: Yank off all and any frontpanel connectors then test your rig's stability. Just bear in mind that while in this state you need to short together the mobo's frontpanel connector pins that correspond to the power switch to turn the machine on and off!

If its not stable without the hard drive try seeing if you can keep it stable long enough to run MemTest with just one stick of RAM on each try until you get one stick to pass or it either fails or simply crashes and burns on each individual RAM module.

Final "easy swap" victim is the PSU - swap it for a mate's or a spare or old one and see if you're still getting crashes.

If it somehow gets this far then it really is either the mobo or the CPU. So now you need to get your hands on a spare CPU compatible with your mobo. That or steal a mate's old P4 rig for dissection so you can test the current CPU ;) In either case it's going to involve mucking about with thermal paste and the CPU cooler :P If it continues to fail its the part you're still testing that's at fault, if it (finally!) works then obviously the last part you just dumped was the culprit.

You can of course skip that last step if you end up there... but then you'd need a new mobo and CPU :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement