Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to cut through a spax wood screw in an awkward position - reciprocating saw??

Options
  • 09-06-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Need to cut through a spax wood screw in an awkward position - reciprocating saw??

Not sure I'd even get one of those in position, and a mini one- €50 in woodies would prob not be powerful enough?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

If its not too visible and could be done roughly remove all wood around it and try to manipulate it with a small nail bar till it breaks

B

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Maybe try to get an angle grinder at it.

You could if you can get any access to it use a vice grip it and take it out by twisting it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

They are a b1thch to do. What i done was started to cut with a junior hacksaw then twisted and broke with a vicegrips the problem is there is usually a tiny bit left sticking out. But if the wall is solid enough a smack of the hammer should knock it in.. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade

k123456 wrote: »
    Use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade

Bounces like hell unless its in a good position and i dont think this is. I tried that as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jgoodman05

Cheers lads,

It's in a really awkward position, jigsaw nor hacksaw nor vicegrips will get at it, haven't used recip before, but seems like only possibility , but prob won't be able to rest the shoe well, so I'm not sure , I know spax are pretty tough screws so just wanted to check if they can be cut with recip at all, before I go forking out €35 for a days rental, just to find that even in a easy position they would't cut a spax.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

jgoodman05 wrote: »
    Cheers lads,

It's in a really awkward position, jigsaw nor hacksaw nor vicegrips will get at it, haven't used recip before, but seems like only possibility , but prob won't be able to rest the shoe well, so I'm not sure , I know spax are pretty tough screws so just wanted to check if they can be cut with recip at all, before I go forking out €35 for a days rental, just to find that even in a easy position they would't cut a spax.

where are you based i have one you could borrow i'm in enniscorthy Co. wexford

hop2it wrote: »
    where are you based i have one you could borrow i'm in enniscorthy Co. wexford

See this bestows my faith in the human spirit.... Well done

Advertisement