Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blown Headgasket

• 09-06-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

I'm half way through getting the head off a car that has a blown headgasket. At the moment the only thing thats left is to remove the headbolts but the cam sprocket and cam shaft are still in place in the cyclinder head.

My question is, can I remove the sprocket and shaft together ? or will I have to remove the sprocket first. The head has to be skimmed so they both have to be taken out but don't want to have to go to the hassle of getting the sprocket off if I dont have to.

This doesn't seem to be covered in the haynes and its the first time I've tackled this job.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Usually you can remove the shaft and sprocket without separating them- you might have to part them anyway when fitting a new belt ( if it has one)

Sometimes they are not "keyed" to each other , so you'd synch stuff on re-assembly by locking the crank at say TDC and lining up a mark on the camshaft itself with something on the head - more accurate from the "engines point of view" than a non-adjustable camsprocket.

Those Haynes manuals do a bit too much of the " re-assembly is the reverse of removal - have fun - k bai thx " sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You don't specify what car and engine your working on..... :o

Depending on the engine you may well have to remove the cams to get at the head bolts. I was doing the head on a DOHC 16V engine recently and both cams had to come out to get at the head bolts. On most SOHC you don't have to take out the cam shaft. If you don't have to take out the cam shaft, don't... less to go wrong...

By the sounds of it you have a timing chain, i would cable tie the sprocket to the chain in the correct place and remove the bolt(s) holding it to the end of the crank shaft.

I'm half way through getting the head off a car that has a blown headgasket. At the moment the only thing thats left is to remove the headbolts but the cam sprocket and cam shaft are still in place in the cyclinder head.

My question is, can I remove the sprocket and shaft together ? or will I have to remove the sprocket first. The head has to be skimmed so they both have to be taken out but don't want to have to go to the hassle of getting the sprocket off if I dont have to.

This doesn't seem to be covered in the haynes and its the first time I've tackled this job.

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Bu11et_Proof

Sorry lads its an 8v Mk1 Fiat Punto SOHC, the reason I need to remove the camshaft and sprocket is that the head needs be skimmed and the chap doing the work said they will need to be taken out before I bring it to him.

It would be easier for me to remove them attached in one piece as getting the sprocket bolt off can be a pain in the arse. No point doin unnecessary work, if I don't have to.

I can get at all the headbolts no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You might have to remove the cam sprocket anyway to set the timing up accurately , when the head is skimmed the relationship between the cam sprocket and crank sprocket changes slightly.

Advertisement