Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Try running when afraid of dogs

• 09-06-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I've recently discovered the logs and have become a bit obsessed with reading them :D. So I think its time I start my own hopefully it will give me a bit more motivation.

I started jogging/running earlier this year after not doing much for near on 30 years! My first race was the St Patricks 5k which I surprised myself by running without having to stop and a time of 26:55. I also did the Great Ireland Run in 59:10 and the Docklands 8k in 45:20ish. I have now signed up for the 10 mile in the Phoenix Park and we'll see where it goes from there...

I run twice during the week and once at weekends, at the moment I also swim (badly) and play tag (badly) once a week.

As an added complication Im terrified of dogs and find it hard to find routes that avoid them :(. So I end up doing most of my training in the Phoenix Park where there are loads of dogs but usually on leads, its the loose ones outside peoples houses that get me:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Did 11.5k in about 1:08, nice evening felt hotter than it looked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done Beamgirl;)

Thanks Munster Gal

Tag last night so a different type of running - loads of stop, start running on the pitch. Its funny I can run now for over an hour easily enough but a 100m sprint kills me.:eek:

Did 5k did evening in 27:05 had hoped to do it quicker but legs were still feeling the effects of last night and it was hot. Well thats my excuse and im sticking with it!

Had to jump into car quickly mid post run stretches due to overly excited dog in vicinity :(

Longest run yet 12.6km, left awful after first 7k but stopped for a min or two had a drink and got a second wind for the last 5k actually left ok at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done beamgirl. Dogs can be a right pain. There's one fella is nearly always just cms away from taking a chunk from my calf. His buddy is usually hanging around too, otherwise I'd aim a kick at him. One of these days there's going to be a reckoning!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Awww how can you be afraid of dogs...I have a nice pal who follows me for about a mile on my runs till I get to the main road then he turns back. :D

Would you not like to try the 5 miler in July beamgirl? Be a good indication of how any improvements you've made since the Docklands run.

Krusty I'd claim self defence and have a go! In reality i'd prob change my route, had to do a quick crossing of road today to avoid dog that appeared out of nowhere.

RacoonQueen would love to do the 5mile but have a wedding in Galway same day so ruled out. Im thinking though of doing the 5k in Farmleigh to see how that compares against my St Paddys 5k time, it was my first race and first time to do the distance so there should be room for improvement but by my own timings I dont seem to have improved my speed much since then.

Hadnt planned on going for a run today but was reading some of the logs earlier and felt inspired, probably shouldnt have gone for such a long one after yesterday as felt tired enough during it but managed 9.7k in 59:30, finding it hard to find loops which are nice round figure distances!

Well my first week of logs is over and I managed 38.8k, happy with that, def my best week yet!

Good day for me today - got to work early this morning and as it was so nice out decided to go for a walk beforehand, managed 4k before I had to head in. This evening I did 11.6k in 1:05:49, passed 10k in 55 mins so delighted with that as its just short of 5 mins quicker than I did the Great Ireland Run 2 months ago.

Had a giggle to myself when a rollerblader threw a stick too forcefully to a dog and fell over but mocking is catching as within 1k I got a big bug in my eye!

Going to have to start counting in miles now as next race is a 10 mile but it will feel like a step backwards to be back in single digit runs it took me so long to get to double digits!

Tag this evening, had a bit of pain in my ankle, nothing serious i hope but throbbing a bit so may give tomorrow nights planned run a miss:(

Ankle felt better today so thought i'd chance a quick 3 miler;)
    Felt sore enough for first few hundred meters but grand after that and ended up doing 5.3 miles. Not sure if something is wrong with my watch as cant believe it took me 1:05:49, thats a fair bit off my regular pace and it didnt feel any slower:confused:....def blaming the watch!!

• Advertisement

Longest run todate today did 9.8 miles in 1:32:58, thrilled with that, wasnt sure of the distance when I was out as I def would have continued on to get to 10 miles. I had been thinking for the adidas 10 mile that i'd be happy with any time under 1:40 but based on todays run i think i'll be getting more ambitious!

2 mile hike on some mayo mountain, followed by 3:30 hr drive back to dublin...legs felt quick sore after yesterdays run so didnt push it too much today...def think i need new runners

Monday - 45 min swimming

Total for last week was 22.3 miles plus some other odds and ends

Tuesday - 4.7 miles in 43:48
    Beautiful evening for a run but must get some running shorts if there is such a thing as the ones I was wearing were not comfortable at all, very sore!

Lunch: Spinning class
    PM: tag Rugby Match - we lost :(, but I scored my first try of the season :D

I printed out HH half marathon training program - thinking of doing one. Unfortunately wont be in the country for the Adidas half or would do that, looks like it may have to be Longford. If anyone knows of any others please let me know. Stupid question but I assume you dont have to start on week one of the program?

Got new runners today - Mizuno, a change from my usual Asics so had to take them for a spin this evening.

Did 5 miles in 45:00:00, really pushed in the last mile for <45mins and nearly got there but not quiet!! I seem to be able to increase my distances but my times are sticking the same:rolleyes:

Runners seem grand, very light

Sat - two hour hike in Ticknock Forest with himself, I say hike he says walk

Sun
    alcohol on previous night + very hot weather + niggly ankle + intention to run 10 miles = 4.7 miles and a limp in time of 43:13

Mon - 45 mins swim

Tues - ankle still sore so will do what I did for most of my life and it never gave me any injuries - sit on couch for evening

Total for past week 14.4miles -crap:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Feeling your pain Beamgirl, hope your ankle is better tomorrow. Think I might have given myself shin splints :( so I'll be joining you on the couch tonight - anything good on the telly?

Right after taking it easy for the past few days and watching some American teen drama the rest is over! I played a game of tag tonight and the ankle was grand was also supposed to go spinning today but even though I remembered to pack my gear I forget to bring it to work with me.;)

I had been thinking of doing the DCM this year, getting inspiration from a lot of the training logs here, but have now decided not to attempt it for this year. My new plan is to do a half marathon, prob Longford as the date suits and then concentrate on getting my times down in all my other distances - do a few 8k, 10ks, 10 miles races. I hope to build up a good base so that when I attempt a marathon next year I'll have a good chance of doing my best in it.

5.3 miles in 49 mins 25 secs

Lesson learnt - 5 miles is max in heat without taking in water

• Advertisement

On way out of park on friday evening noticed sign for 5k in Farmleigh. I had thought about this race before but hadnt done anything about it. However I was in Dublin for the weekend with no plans so thought sure I'll give it a go. Had planned a long run for sat but gave it a miss as wanted the legs to be fresh for today.

As I had to enter on the day got there in plenty of time so loads of waiting around on my own beforehand - family fun day more like family dog day, had to keep moving to avoid very active dogs!

I'd only done a 5k race once before and that was my very first one back in March I had managed that in 26:55 so was hoping to go under 25 mins this time. Very complicated maths here ;) but I reckoned I had to do each k on or under 5 mins - easier said than done with no k markers on the route! Any how I had my trusty stop watch and as I do all my training in the park I had a good idea of where each k should be and seemed to be on target. Faded (i think) in last k but got burst of pace in last 100 m to pass under in 24:57 I think, still waiting on official time.

Delighted with time however I think eur25 was a bit overpriced plus goody bag had no chocolate - only fruit:( and tshirt has big mcdonalds logo all over it, dont think I'll be wearing it, always feel nausous when i see that big M!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

That's great progress between march and now, good run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Well done on the PB. Buy yourself a big bar of chocolate as a reward:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats! Sub-25 5k, I'm jealous! :)

First of all got official time for 5k yesterday and of course I was right did it in 24:57 :D

Was going to take today as a rest day but yesterdays result encouraged me so headed out, ended up doing 10 miles on the nose in a time of 1:35:05.
    Longest run yet so all in all a good two days running :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

beamgirl wrote: »
    5.3 miles in 49 mins 25 secs

Lesson learnt - 5 miles is max in heat without taking in water
    obvious problems drinking water while you are out running. In terms of heat try running in a sheltered area. St Annes in Raheny a good spot. plenty of trees there.

Thanks BVC I'll bear that in mind...I passed a runner the other day carrying a 2 litre bottle of bottle while on the go - i dont know how he did it the weight alone never mind the distraction of something in my hand would kill me.

Tuesday 7th July
    Rest Day

Wednesday 8th July
    Cross Training Day
    Breakfast - 4k brisk walk
    Lunch - Spinning Class
    Dinner - Tag Match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

beamgirl wrote: »
    Thanks BVC I'll bear that in mind...I passed a runner the other day carrying a 2 litre bottle of bottle while on the go - i dont know how he did it the weight alone never mind the distraction of something in my hand would kill me.

Tuesday 7th July
    Rest Day

Wednesday 8th July
    Cross Training Day
    Breakfast - 4k brisk walk
    Lunch - Spinning Class
    Dinner - Tag Match
    those spinning classes are killers. which class do you take?

There is a gym near my work that does an advanced class at lunch - its only half an hour so not too bad, but you'd feel it in the afternoon.

Thursday 9th July
    5.9 miles in 53:05 mins

• Advertisement

Sunday 12th July

Had planned a long run this morning but my blasted ankle is playing up again.
    Managed 4.8 miles in 44:02 - part of into a strong headwind.

Advertisement