Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Try running when afraid of dogs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

beamgirl wrote: »
    Sunday 12th July

Had planned a long run this morning but my blasted ankle is playing up again.
    Managed 4.8 miles in 44:02 - part of into a strong headwind.
    try running on soft ground. should be okay. Or do a quick walk instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

try running on soft ground. should be okay.

Telling someone with a sore leg to run on it isn't the most sensible advice. If it persists they may be best to get it looked at.

Tingle wrote: »
    Telling someone with a sore leg to run on it isn't the most sensible advice. If it persists they may be best to get it looked at.
    Depends how sore it is. Have run with a few injuries. Sometimes you can run through the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Depends how sore it is

Exactly, and I assume you haven't consulted with the OP on this in person so you are not in a position to make a call on it.
    . Have run with a few injuries. Sometimes you can run through the pain.

This is really bad advice and while you should sometimes not be afraid to push something, making calls like that should only be done in consultation with a professional who knows exactly what is wrong with you and knows what kind of work is required to help you recover.

OP - please ignore the advice of bayviewclose on this as there is a ban on giving medical advice on boards.ie across all fora and saying someone should run through pain, is in my eyes, some of the worst medical advice you can give on running. Not saying you should stop running as you have a niggle, but just be careful with it and ideally get someone to have a proper look at it if it concerns you and if it persists.

Tingle wrote: »
    Exactly, and I assume you haven't consulted with the OP on this in person so you are not in a position to make a call on it.

This is really bad advice and while you should sometimes not be afraid to push something, making calls like that should only be done in consultation with a professional who knows exactly what is wrong with you and knows what kind of work is required to help you recover.

OP - please ignore the advice of bayviewclose on this as there is a ban on giving medical advice on boards.ie across all fora and saying someone should run through pain, is in my eyes, some of the worst medical advice you can give on running. Not saying you should stop running as you have a niggle, but just be careful with it and ideally get someone to have a proper look at it if it concerns you and if it persists.
    I said "try" running on soft ground. Never said run on soft ground. less of the personalized attacks please!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Thanks for advice above i have been hoping that the ankle will heal by itself but at this stage i think its time to head for the physio. I hadnt run since sunday so hoped ankle would be ok at this stage and thought i'd give it a go this morning, 10.6 miles in 1:44:12, ankle played up in last five miles and really slowed me down. It used to be that the ankle would be sore when i started but after a mile i'd run it off and it would be fine whereas now i start ok and then develop the pain which worsens.

Took the last week off to recover and also had a few days holidays and a wedding down the country, so it suited!

Went for first run this evening in nearly a week
    5.3miles in 47:02
    Just checked back on log and this is 2 mins faster than I did the same route a few weeks ago, felt great to be running again:D

Cross training day

Spinning class at lunch - new instructor and harder than usual
    Tag match this evening - we won and got a cup and all! Tag now over for the season, need something else to replace it with or I could concentrate more on running;)

6.8 miles in 58:30

10.7 miles in 1:37:49 :D
    Felt great today would have continued on for 11 miles but didnt realise I was short til I checked when I got home. Did first 6 miles in 52 mins took a 2 min break for some lucozade while contemplating weather to continue on or not. Seemed to get a second wind and completed the final 4.7 miles in 44 mins. Delighted with todays run, my longest run yet if only by .1mile!

My main purpose of running is to get fit but a nice side affect was that I lost a few lbs however I weighted myself yesterday and after the bad previous week Ive put on 5 lbs:eek:, I really dont know how I managed that in one week:confused:. Going to give myself til the Longford half to lose it, going to take about 5 weeks to lose what I put on in one!! not fair!!

• Advertisement

5.3 miles in 43:59 really happy with this time

Good Idea - go to park on way home saving valuable time
    Bad Idea - not taking time to take makeup off, sweat causing eyemakeup to run into eyes leading to running with eyes closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

beamgirl wrote: »
    Good Idea - go to park on way home saving valuable time
    Bad Idea - not taking time to take makeup off, sweat causing eyemakeup to run into eyes leading to running with eyes closed

:p Classic, lesson learned... :rolleyes:

4.4 miles in 37:00 exactly
    Did spinning at lunch today and really felt it in the legs this evening, not sure how tri/dualers do it...

Rest Day and feeling guilty for it
    Spend my evening on internet and have signed up for Longford half and Lakelands 10k - I do love shopping!
    I find it good to have a race to aim towards otherwises the motivation can wane a bit. Longford will be my first half whereas I have ran 10k before, first race this year was Great Ireland Run where I just broke 1 hr - 59:21 would hope to break 55 mins now.

Headed to the gym at lunch with a friend, she does triathlons but only runs once a week. She was curious to see if she could do 5k in < 20 mins - turns out she can in 19:30 to be precise. I had a more modest target to break 24 mins and did it in 23:25, absolutely wreaked after and not very productive at work this evening!

Headed to the park today with the aim of doing 12 miles, had to change route twice due to loose dogs and at one stage even met an Irish wolfhound. Had a route planned out but due to the unscheduled changes I wasnt sure of what distance I had done, I just kept running for 2 hours, just checked the route I did and it seems I did bang on 13 miles in 2hrs 2 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice running :)

4.7 miles in 41'08

Often get asked for directions in the Park -usually the zoo, today on Chesterfield Avenue was asked for directions to the Phoenix Park!

Wed 05.08.09

5.3 miles 47:26

Started off nice and slow and time actually includes a min or two when i stopped to tie my shoelace and stretch but...
    about half way through i caught up on a girl who had been ahead of me passed her easily enough and found myself catching a guy who had been ahead of her passed him ok but then had to push hard to stay ahead of him could feel him behind me -i'd pull away on downhill and flat and he'd pull me back on the hills - i could have just slowed down and let him pass me but my stupid competitive nature wouldnt let me even though this was a supposed slow run! Anyhow he didnt get past me :D

Saturday 8th Aug 2009

Forgot my watch and due to motor race in park route was all over the place, but i reckon approx 6 miles in 58 mins. Should have done a longer run but just wasnt in the form for it and with the diversions all seeming to lead me up hills it was the most I could manage.

• Advertisement

6.9 miles in 58:54, avg pace 8.55

ran the first loop of this weekends 10mile race and then added a bit on chesterfield avenue. Was kinda hoping of being sub 90 mins this weekend which would be avg 9 min miles, dont really think im there yet as those hills really get me each time and i'd need to be building up time in the earlier miles to have a cushion for when my legs go to jelly on the second lap!

4 miles approx 40 mins

Forgot to stop watch so just an approximation, took it nice and easy, shin a bit sore so tried to run as much as possible on grass

Saturday 15th August 2009

Just home from race and absolutely knackered but delighted with time. Was aiming for sub 90 mins but really wasnt confident about it had told myself would be happy with sub 95, actually managed it in 88:38:D and cant stop smiling! Really enjoyed race (besides water in cups) and even high fived a kid on the home stretch who had his hand out!

I ran this race with a plan which is quiet unusual for me (well i've only ran 5 races!) and kept an eye on my mile time as I went so knew I was on target for sub 90 and just needed to hang on in there for last 2 miles... Bring on the half!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Magnificent effort BG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

88:38! Thats an excellent time, well done Beamgirl, you must be thrilled

3.3 miles
    Forgot to set watch so no idea of time just took it nice and easy. Am still very sore from saturdays race, just wanted to loosen up a bit, felt fine while running but going up the stairs afterwards still hurt...if this sore after 10 miles dont wanna think of the pain after the half:rolleyes:

Disaster of a week, forces conspired against me (visitors and laziness) and I didnt get a chance to do a tap, also ate absolute crap for the week and am really feeling the affects.

Longford is only a week away and going by todays performance I havnt a hope of breaking 2 hrs - 6.7 miles in 01:02:56.
    Need to cop on to myself for the next while and step away from the junk food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Hmm I wouldn't rule out that goal just yet. You consistently train at faster paces than I do and I ran 1:58 in a half-mara last weekend. It's surprising what you can pull out of the bag on race day!! I have every faith :)

Thanks for the encouragement goofygirl, and congrats on your fab time, im jealous!

Ate better for the past few days and feeling the benefits already. Did the same route as saturday 6.7 miles but this time in 59:45, 3 mins off in 3 days isnt bad, if i could just keep up this pattern;). Besides the time I really enjoyed the run and had a smile on my face throughout it, even up the hills!

• Advertisement

5.2 miles 46:57

Left it a bit late to head out so ended up doing half the run in the dark, quiet enjoyed it...

Advertisement