Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diagnostic ?

• 09-06-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Failed the NCT today. The guy,fair play to him,said he heard a knock at 3K when doing the smoke test and it blew a bit of white smoke so he abandoned the smoke test. Passed on every thing else. Brought the car up to a mate and reved it up to 4k but didn't hear any knock, although at one stage it did blow a little smoke. He rekoned it was perhaps a blocked injector,a build up of diesel creating the smoke intermittantly. The nct guy thought the knock was probably a timing chain tensioner. My question is will one of those diagnostic machines show up what the problem is,be it a blocked injector or tensioner,or is it a strip down job. Trouble is I'm heading to France at the weekend,so a possible 3 or 4K Km trip ahead. The car has given me no trouble lately at all,I'm not hard on it, rarely go's over 2K in revs.The car is an 06 rodeus diesel with 110K on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

dubtom wrote: »
    Failed the NCT today. The guy,fair play to him,said he heard a knock at 3K when doing the smoke test and it blew a bit of white smoke so he abandoned the smoke test. Passed on every thing else. Brought the car up to a mate and reved it up to 4k but didn't hear any knock, although at one stage it did blow a little smoke. He rekoned it was perhaps a blocked injector,a build up of diesel creating the smoke intermittantly. The nct guy thought the knock was probably a timing chain tensioner. My question is will one of those diagnostic machines show up what the problem is,be it a blocked injector or tensioner,or is it a strip down job. Trouble is I'm heading to France at the weekend,so a possible 3 or 4K Km trip ahead. The car has given me no trouble lately at all,I'm not hard on it, rarely go's over 2K in revs.The car is an 06 rodeus diesel with 110K on it.

Sounds like a headgasket/cooling system issue to me mate.
    White smoke is water.
    Definitely get the car fixed before you go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Never had an issue with cooling,the needle never moves over the half mark. Back to original question,would a diagnostic show that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Your car prob got a fright when he hit 3k rpm during the smoke test :D

The best thing you can do for an engine is use the revs, that's what there there for. Not going over 2k rpm and your engine is prob all coked up. Give it an Italian tune up, drive the ring out of it (once oil is up to temp), use all the revs up to the redline. Won't do your car any harm once you know it's not the t-belt tensioner that's on it's way out.

dubtom wrote: »
    Never had an issue with cooling,the needle never moves over the half mark. Back to original question,would a diagnostic show that up?

Mate you have water in your engine, it has to come from somewhere.
    Diagnostics might give you an answer or not, this is the first step to take anyway. So yes do one and you will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 solo1484

Neilw wrote: »
    Your car prob got a fright when he hit 3k rpm during the smoke test :D

The best thing you can do for an engine is use the revs, that's what there there for. Not going over 2k rpm and your engine is prob all coked up. Give it an Italian tune up, drive the ring out of it (once oil is up to temp), use all the revs up to the redline. Won't do your car any harm once you know it's not the t-belt tensioner that's on it's way out.

Sounds like the rite advice-if its never put through its paces it'll prob be blocked up...check out Dipetane fuel additive-it significantly reduces your emissions and flushes the fuel system-get it from any factors...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Dubtom, don’t even consider an “Italian tune up” or driving “the ring out of it”.

So far, the only person who seems to know anything about engines and has actually seen it has told you he thought it may be a timing chain tensioner. If he is right, a good rev could finish the engine. Get it looked at asap.

BTW, white smoke from a diesel is often timing and could well tie in with the NCT testers opinion.

So far, the only person who seems to know anything about engines and has actually seen it has told you he thought it may be a timing chain tensioner. If he is right, a good rev could finish the engine. Get it looked at asap.

BTW, white smoke from a diesel is often timing and could well tie in with the NCT testers opinion.

Thanks for the insult mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mick.fr wrote: »
    Thanks for the insult mate
    Please don't start this again - Mr.Diagnostic is offering the OP a professional opinion based on what he's been told about the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Insult??

Hmmm..... let me see, why is it I usually dont post here any more.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Dubtom, don’t even consider an “Italian tune up” or driving “the ring out of it”.

I mentioned not to do it until the t-belt parts were ruled out :rolleyes:

Do you not agree that it's good for an engine to be driven hard once in a while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Neilw wrote: »
    I mentioned not to do it until the t-belt parts were ruled out :rolleyes:

Do you not agree that it's good for an engine to be driven hard once in a while?
    Perhaps not when it's knocking.:)

Advertisement