Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tony Awards 2009

Options
  • 09-06-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

What a bunch of musical lovers we are, almost two days on and no mention of the winners of this years Tonys!! Will post a full list when I get to a pc but Billy Elliot stole the show musical wise with a spectaular 10 awards, though Elton John missed out on the best score award for the show. Next to Normal won a handful too with Shrek getting a costume award and West Side Story and Hair picking up a trophy too. Anyone have an opinion or is Broadway a little too far away to be note worthy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ooh good one yourself! that'd be great to get a list up thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Here you go - I've left the play winners in too as they might interest some people

Best Play: God of Carnage

Best Musical: Billy Elliot, The Musical

Best Book of a Musical: Lee Hall (Billy Elliot, The Musical)

Best Original Score: Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey (Next to Normal)

Best Revival of a Play: The Norman Conquests

Best Revival of a Musical: Hair

Best Special Theatrical Event: Liza’s at the Palace

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play: Geoffrey Rush (Exit the King)

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play: Marcia Gay Harden (God of Carnage)

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical: David Alvarez, Trent Kowalik and Kiril Kulish (Billy Elliot, The Musical)

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical: Alice Ripley (Next to Normal)

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play: Roger Robinson (Joe Turner’s Come and Gone)

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play: Angela Lansbury (Blithe Spirit)

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical: Geoffrey Jbara (Billy Elliot, The Musical)

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical: Karen Olivo (West Side Story)

Best Direction of a Play: Matthew Warchus (God of Carnage)

Best Direction of a Musical: Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot, The Musical)

Best Choreography: Peter Darling (Billy Elliot, The Musical)

Best Orchestration: (joint winners) Martin Koch (Billy Elliot, The Musical) and Michael Starobin and Tom Kitt (Next to Normal)

Best Scenic Design of a Play: Derek McLane (33 Variations)

Best Scenic Design of a Musical: Ian MacNeil (Billy Elliot, The Musical)

Best Costume Design of a Play: Anthony Ward (Mary Stuart)

Best Costume Design of a Musical: Tim Hatley (Shrek The Musical)

Best Lighting Design of a Play: Brian MacDevitt (Joe Turner’s come and Gone)

Best Lighting Design of a Musical: Rick Fisher (Billy Elliot, The Musical)

Best Sound Design of a Play: Gregory Clarke (Equus)

Best Sound Design of a Musical: Paul Arditti (Billy Elliot, The Musical)

Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre: Jerry Herman

Regional Theatre Tony Award: Signature Theatre, Arlington

Isabelle Stevenson Award: Phyllis Newman

Tony Honours for Excellence in the Theatre: Shirley Herz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eimear87

I loved the speech from the three Billy Elliot boys, made me laugh. and NPH was an amazing host, I would love to see him in a show, would have loved him in rent two of my favourite things together. Also delighted at the win by Hair for best revival, although it meant that Guys and Dolls finished its run on Broadway almost immediately after as it didnt win, but i'm sure it's one that will be back again.

Advertisement