Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multi Car Insurance? NO!! What can we do about it?

• 09-06-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

The question has come up numerous times on this site already and we all know the answer that it's impossible to get proper multicar insurance for yourself. Best hope is to lie and try to get trade insurance or the sketchy drive cars as long as they're not registered to you third party.

The thing is that the same underwriters who refuse it here offer it quite freely in other markets like the UK and USA.

I think anything that makes it easier to own more cars could only possibly be good for the country as it could potentially generate more sales for people who would like to have weekend cars and the like.

What do you guys reckon, some kind of petition, Bulk emails to the relevant offices or brokers?

Maybe it'll never work but god damn it we could try!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I can't understand it either especially if you're the only person named on a policy - it's not like you can drive two cars at the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

eamon234 wrote: »
    I can't understand it either especially if you're the only person named on a policy - it's not like you can drive two cars at the same time!

+111111111111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

mate is with axa & they did 3 cars for him & mirrored the NCB for each vehicle.
    Beamer, 22b & saxo vtr.
    He's with them years so don't know if they do it for new customers.
    Try ringing around all the companies & also ask a broker do they have access to a market (uk maybe) that can underwrite it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I'd also really love to get this, opens the possibility of getting a second weekend car over the next year or two.. Don't fancy pretending to need a trade policy, but probably will if I have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

eamon234 wrote: »

I've an alfa 166, a 190E cos, a vanette.. I'd love to have a multicar policy..
    I also have 5 motorbikes, with carol nash I pay one premium and can take out any bike I want...
    Insurace has always been a racket here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 dainius

most comprehensive insurance policies allow the use of any other vehicle as long as you are not the legal OWNER of the vehicle and only third party is covered. So if you buy a 2nd/3rd car and register on your brothers/sisters/fathers/uncles/friends/etc name you are legaly covered to drive it. Fire&theft probably wont be covered. Check your insurance policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Just to clear this up for my brain which has not kicked in to gear yet today, if I bought myself a second car, it would be best to register it in, say my mother's name (only relation who does not have a car), and then use my own insurance to drive it?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Most insurance co's state that if you are driving another car, that car must have its own insurance policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

dainius wrote: »
    most comprehensive insurance policies allow the use of any other vehicle as long as you are not the legal OWNER of the vehicle and only third party is covered. So if you buy a 2nd/3rd car and register on your brothers/sisters/fathers/uncles/friends/etc name you are legaly covered to drive it. Fire&theft probably wont be covered. Check your insurance policy.

I don't think this is the full story. The other vehicle also has to be also insured by the registered vehicle owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Keith C wrote: »
    mate is with axa & they did 3 cars for him & mirrored the NCB for each vehicle.
    Beamer, 22b & saxo vtr.
    He's with them years so don't know if they do it for new customers.
    Try ringing around all the companies & also ask a broker do they have access to a market (uk maybe) that can underwrite it.

Can't let this escape unnoticed!! Legend!! I would absolutely love a spin in one! One of only a very few cars that are actually holding their value!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Biro wrote: »
    Can't let this escape unnoticed!! Legend!! I would absolutely love a spin in one! One of only a very few cars that are actually holding their value!!

Yeah I copped that too - very nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

DanGerMus wrote: »
    . Best hope is to lie and try to get trade insurance

That is never a solution, you may get a policy document, but there will be a world of grief heading your way if things go wrong or you have an accident. Trust me, it's not worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm not defending the insurance companies for a second, I too would love to have a multicar policy, but saying that you can "only drive one car at a time" is only half the story.

If you have three cars, then the insurance company is insuring your three cars, if all three are stolen, burnt out or burn down in your garage, then they have to pay for all three of them. It's not just about driving any one at any one time.

bazman wrote: »
    I don't think this is the full story. The other vehicle also has to be also insured by the registered vehicle owner.

I have a motor trade policy know but in my previous policy if I remember correctly there was a line..."the policy holder may also drive with owners permition any other vehicle provided such vehicle does not belong to him or a company he's an emploee off, is not hired by contract,... blah blah blah... Not a single word about that the other vehicle must have its own insurance or not a family members car. If there was a catch it has to be written in capital letters or at least in a small print.
    Myself and my gf had a car each but only one ins policy. I was a policy holder and she was a named driver. She was driving my car wich was fully comp and i was driving hers with HER PERMITION as stated on the same insurance policy. Breaking the law? Nope. We were both insured. The problem arises with the ins disc, cos there is only one per policy. But if you request they might send you one more.

Motor trade policy doesnt cover steam powered vehicles. Who would need that??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I'm not defending the insurance companies for a second, I too would love to have a multicar policy, but saying that you can "only drive one car at a time" is only half the story.

If you have three cars, then the insurance company is insuring your three cars, if all three are stolen, burnt out or burn down in your garage, then they have to pay for all three of them. It's not just about driving any one at any one time.
    Insurance Companies state that the main reason for high premiums is due to cost of litigation/compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Motor trade policy doesnt cover steam powered vehicles. Who would need that??? :D

damnit , who will insure my collection of steam cars now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Biro wrote: »

Don't get too excited ;)

22b.com says an M3 is better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

The problem is that most of the risk is while it's on the road not while it's parked.

Never minding all that the fact that these companies offer this service in other countries and at not very expensive prices defeats any argument.

My honest opinion about this is that like most things WE are bad consumers and do not demand enough value for money as a nation and that it's down to us to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

What we are talking about is a discount on the driving risk portion of the premium, based on driving experience (ncb). The risk of fire/theft is fixed and charged accordingly which is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Myself and my gf had a car each but only one ins policy. I was a policy holder and she was a named driver. She was driving my car wich was fully comp and i was driving hers with HER PERMITION as stated on the same insurance policy. Breaking the law? Nope. We were both insured. The problem arises with the ins disc, cos there is only one per policy. But if you request they might send you one more.
    That's a really interesting idea. I'd definately run it past a lawyer first though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Not a single word about that the other vehicle must have its own insurance or not a family members car.

I questioned every insurance company i rang the last time i renewed my policy, all but Quinn D said the other car needed its own insurance. Quinn say the other car did not need to be insured, as if i'm driving it then it is insured by them 3rd party, i confirmed this a number of times with. Also the car can be own by a family member, anybody but yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

bazman wrote: »

My da got stoped by the gards when driving my car which i did not have insurance at the time, and as he had his own policy letter at the time which stated that he could drive a car registered to another owner he was fine. If its good enough for to gards, its good enough for me :)

Senna wrote: »
    I questioned every insurance company i rang the last time i renewed my policy, all but Quinn D said the other car needed its own insurance. Quinn say the other car did not need to be insured, as if i'm driving it then it is insured by them 3rd party, i confirmed this a number of times with. Also the car can be own by a family member, anybody but yourself.
    I've said it before elsewhere but the car has to be insured to provide full protection. If the cause of the accident is the condition of the car (e.g. brakes failing), your driving of other cars extension will not pick up the liability as it is only covering your DRIVING. The liability for losses incurred on account of the condition of the car will fall back on the owner and if they don't have insurance on the vehicle, they are screwed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Also looking to get insured on a second vehicle at the moment myself. I'm on a commercial policy and unfortunately mine doesn't even allow me to drive other vans at the moment so what I have to do each time I want to drive the other vehicle is do a temporary transfer. This is a bit of a pain as I'd like an insurance disc in it, with the reg on it, so I don't have to be explaining to Gardai and so I can get a parking permit for on the road aswell and park it without risking a ticket for non display of insurance. I was quoted something crazy like 3K for adding it to my policy! :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah having problems myself with getting insurance on a second car.. its a complete joke..

There is one company/broker who claims to offer a policy like this but when I contacted them and had a chat with the guy on the phone, it was merely a way of drumming up business.. the end result was "move both cars policies over here and I'll see what we can do".. some answer that is.. :rolleyes:

You want all the details of the cars, my driving history, license details etc..
    I was definite answers and quotes before I move a thing mate, not some half arsed attempt to get business.. :mad:

Do insurance companies not get how much more business they would get if they offered this?? People would be out buying cars for weekend use, cars that arent practical for everyday use but nice to cruise around in when the weather is good.. idiots!! :rolleyes:

I personally wouldnt mind paying a €100 or €200 more on a policy if I got covered for 2 vehicles fully and not being charged €600 for a second policy and my 10+ years of claim free driving being ignored because they want to milk you for every penny they can get.. I can only drive one car at a time, so the risk has not increased, its still me driving the same way I always drive!!

If any insurance company out there has an ounce of cop on, read this thread and it might give you an idea of a niche market that you can get some business from..

/rant over!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

oldyouth wrote: »
    I've said it before elsewhere but the car has to be insured to provide full protection. If the cause of the accident is the condition of the car (e.g. brakes failing), your driving of other cars extension will not pick up the liability as it is only covering your DRIVING. The liability for losses incurred on account of the condition of the car will fall back on the owner and if they don't have insurance on the vehicle, they are screwed

If you are driving another car on your policy it doesn't mater what cover the car has. If you crash/damage it is only covered TPO and the other persons insurance won't cover any damage to the vehicle. I rang up to check on this as I was driving an expensive car and read here that the other car wasn't covered and wanted to be sure. That doesn't change the requirement for the car to be insured on some policies
    landyman wrote: »
    My da got stoped by the gards when driving my car which i did not have insurance at the time, and as he had his own policy letter at the time which stated that he could drive a car registered to another owner he was fine. If its good enough for to gards, its good enough for me :)

And we all know how well the Gardai know the law. What's good enough for a Garda at the side of the road may not be worth the paper it's wrote on if the worst happens. Only sure way to know is to call your insurance company and ask as ignorance is never an excuse.

unkel wrote: »
    Don't get too excited ;)

22b.com says an M3 is better...

Ah that's missing the point. I wouldn't compare the two to be honest. I'd like each car for different reasons. It's almost like comparing an M5 to an Aerial Atom and saying the M5 is better cause it has a higher top speed and a roof. It's missing the point!
    The 22B is a savage car! Unique in a way that only the Evo 6 Extreme can match!

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you are driving another car on your policy it doesn't mater what cover the car has. If you crash/damage it is only covered TPO and the other persons insurance won't cover any damage to the vehicle. I rang up to check on this as I was driving an expensive car and read here that the other car wasn't covered and wanted to be sure. That doesn't change the requirement for the car to be insured on some policies

And we all know how well the Gardai know the law. What's good enough for a Garda at the side of the road may not be worth the paper it's wrote on if the worst happens. Only sure way to know is to call your insurance company and ask as ignorance is never an excuse.

There's also the whole thing of having a main car. If an uninsured car is your main car, then despite the driving other cars extension, it'll be uninsured as technically you're using it as your main car. Now in most circumstances it won't be an issue, but if there is a large enough claim in you can be sure a private investigator will be employed to find a way out of paying. And typically they'll win.
    As said above, ignorance is never an excuse.

• Advertisement

My uncle has two cars insured without any problem he is not even paying a high premium. I will asked him who he is with the next time I'm talking to him and post it here.

If you are driving another car on your policy it doesn't mater what cover the car has. If you crash/damage it is only covered TPO and the other persons insurance won't cover any damage to the vehicle. I rang up to check on this as I was driving an expensive car and read here that the other car wasn't covered and wanted to be sure. That doesn't change the requirement for the car to be insured on some policies.
    Read my post, I said nothing about damage to the car you are driving, I referred to damage caused by defects in the car you are driving to others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

oldyouth wrote: »
    Read my post, I said nothing about damage to the car you are driving, I referred to damage caused by defects in the car you are driving to others

OK miss read your post. But when you are driving a different car on your policy it doesn't mater if the other person has insurance, though some companies insist it does, as the only policy in effect is your TPO extentsion.

If you are driving a car with dodgy breaks third party claims will be covered but they can come back after you, not the owner, for any money as reguardless of who owns or insures the vehicle it's always the drivers responsibitly to ensure the vehicle is road worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

No point trying to guess what might be covered if such a policy were available, i don't see why it couldn't be customizable.
    It might be best for all of you here that want a multi car policy to pick the same broker or company to email to really get the message across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'd be up for that.

So one customer so far. Any more?

cormie wrote: »
    I'd be up for that.

So one customer so far. Any more?

Count me in even though i have no need for a multi car policy at the moment they won't know that:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have two cars insured with Axa, neither car is in any way "sporty" and neither policy has any named drivers. When I was getting the 2nd policy they mirrored the full NCB from my 1st policy.

Would be v interested in a multi car policy anyway. To be useful it would need to be substantially cheaper than the cost of insuring each vehicle separately - even with mirroring of NCBs.

What's probably needed is to write to all insurance companies with a detailed proposal on multi car polciies. I'd envisage it would be quite different to a trade polciy. The policyholder would have to supply the insurance company with registrations and details of any cars they wanted to drive. There would probably have to be lots of terms and conditions too.

If you are driving a car with dodgy breaks third party claims will be covered but they can come back after you, not the owner, for any money as reguardless of who owns or insures the vehicle it's always the drivers responsibitly to ensure the vehicle is road worthy.
    You are not correct there, there is nothing more I can say to you about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

macshadow wrote: »
    No point trying to guess what might be covered if such a policy were available, i don't see why it couldn't be customizable.
    It might be best for all of you here that want a multi car policy to pick the same broker or company to email to really get the message across.

That's what i'm talking about. Ideas people.
    I was also thinking about setting up a website that people could register on to show their interest.
    That way then all we'd need to do is link brokers and insurers to it. The advantage is that they could have a real time view as word spreads and interest grows.

www.multicarinsurance.ie
    or just
    www.multicar.ie

I wouldn't mind registering it but i've no idea how to setup a website.
    Techy people needed for this. Free hosting.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    That's what i'm talking about. Ideas people.
    I was also thinking about setting up a website that people could register on to show their interest.
    That way then all we'd need to do is link brokers and insurers to it. The advantage is that they could have a real time view as word spreads and interest grows.

www.multicarinsurance.ie
    or just
    www.multicar.ie

I wouldn't mind registering it but i've no idea how to setup a website.
    Techy people needed for this. Free hosting.

Ted i want out, i didn't know you had to follow up an idea with lots more little ideas:D only joking.
    I just thought of a good name for such a site, www.irequire.ie just put your requirement up on site with some details and sit back and let the brokers slug it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Just to clear this up for my brain which has not kicked in to gear yet today, if I bought myself a second car, it would be best to register it in, say my mother's name (only relation who does not have a car), and then use my own insurance to drive it?

Your mother would have to have an insurance policy on the car too. The car has to be insured for you to transfer your insurance to it, go figure.

Also if you were unlucky enough to crash your mothers car & have your car stolen at the same time only one claim could be prosessed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement