Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krav Maga Social Network Ning Site Good Self Defence Krav Maga Video Clips etc..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

The fact that i counted 16 guns on the homepage makes me worry about the effect this site will have on the reputation of KM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

tallaght01 wrote: »
    The fact that i counted 16 guns on the homepage makes me worry about the effect this site will have on the reputation of KM.

I never noticed them! lol! (never mind count them).

What do you mean about guns & reputation of KM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I never noticed them! lol! (never mind count them).

What do you mean about guns & reputation of KM?

Well, there are a lot of KM schools that sell you promises about being able to disarm attackers who are wielding AK47s etc. It's often the first picture you'll see on a website. This gives people the view that KM is full of walter mitty types.

The reality, of course, is that this kind of stuff isn't (and shouldn't be) taught early on to beginners. They should be learning basic combatives. If you're going to grab a gun and follow up with an elbow, it's not much use if your elbow misses by a country mile.

That website shows a lot of blokes shooting guns and displaying guns, which I just don't think does us any favours. It's only a minor point, though. I haven't looked at the site properly, and I'm sure you've done a good job with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

Good point (except for, not is not my site kravstation.com if you look it you will see the site belongs to Ivan someone in Eastern European country. Do check up properly before diagnosis please. ;))

There is 500+ krav maga people. I do not spend much time on there, but its a friendly krav maga online community. A few of the guys on there in the USA who train with same top people, are Cops (of various types, USA has so many different LEO agencies, depts etc).

This brings to comment you say about guns. World does not stop nor finish in Ireland, meaning laws are very different in many countries e.g. easiest example the USA as regards the decent ordinary civilian (clean background checked person) rights to self defense of person & home. (As you probably know they vary from State to State.)

Firstly re guns, a few of the guys I contact with in USA (they train under Itay Gil right hand man Moshe Kate & here is 300+ page Krav Maga web site free full of top class information. Hours of learning on there, & have a look, it explains many relevant points.
    www.your-krav-maga-expert.com

The Cops, will spend more of their time, instead of bursting & chaining an attacker with a punch to throat with chain of strikes, instead will train, to defend, but then make slight distance to draw firearm, depending on contingency of force re a specific situation may shoot etc (no different than the Gardai a few weeks ago, open fire after warnings on criminal who held up cash truck & pointed shot guns at gardai. Lucky with 4 shots the gardai killed one & unfortunately other survived). , or tazer or whatever form of CS Spray they use & baton type weapon.
    So Guns are very relevant to those guns...

Ok, so what about the rest of us..
    Well in USA many states pro gun, good citizen once checked can have licensed gun at home of personal protection & self defense. Florida re personally seeing this, many people, single office working women even, have their own hand gun licensed at home. Criminal breaks in, I think once 1 warning is given by civilian to criminal to get out of the house or they will shoot, criminal ignores, its open season. Shoot him. (dead too). Law is totally in favor of clean good citizen , cops, system etc, its your right legally to defend yourself, family & home. I checked up on this a bit, & was told once your a decent person, & crim is know bad ass, its not a major issue, even if you kill the criminal.

One Step up from this, in many states, a normal citizen of good character with background check clean, (not talking cops or army here either.) average joe if he has done proper training course in shooting with certifications etc, he or she can get a license up to the level of carrying a "concealed fire arm" on their person, in public at all times. One provision is, if entering a licensed premises bar etc, your supposed to declare to manager that your "packing a gun" & I think technically their supposed to put your weapon in cloak room, but law has provision, that this does not have to happen. So that dude next to some hot head on the bar stool could have Glock 17 on him , hot head causes confrontation outside after for example, citizen with that gun license can pull their gun & shoot. (in extreme cases, but I have been told, depending on the ins & outs of it, one can get away with alot).

So Guns are very relevant, outside of countries with restrictive self defense laws like Ireland. As part of me Tactical Krav Maga Instructor certification, I had to get certified in combat hand gun shooting & keep it to a certain level annually.

Thailand here, (I feel gun licensing is way to lax here but...) a clean citizen can get a hand gun revolver or semi auto pistol for the home for self defense, & loosely law is & more flex if a night like, an intruder is about the home, 1 warning verbal if they do not leave you can shoot them.

There is much gun crime here in Thailand, Pattaya where i live there is several gun murders or shoot ups a night, esp away from tourist area. I was cornering a Muay Thai fighter from camp I was training in up in NE Thailand (Isan) at a out door festival (Thai version of big culchies like I am, all whisked up) , fight breaks out beside outdoor muay thai ring & dudes pull guns, luckily too drunk to aim, but fire at each other 2 meters from us in corner of ring, until crowd got them to settle down. (no repurcussions either :eek: )

My Mrs. over here licensed got a S&W .38 revolver for the "house hold" here, (she wants a Glock but I won't pay for one! lol! bad for me maybe). But in reality of a break in, she may not be the one using it...

Again very relevant, use of proactive self defense hand gun, In fact in Thailand here, anyone can go up to the local Army Base, dirty cheap, costs minimal & get fully trained from short arm up to M16s etc my the Army or sometimes police instructors.

Cambodia??? LOL! almost as bad as Bandit Country in the 80s! AK-47s from the Kymer Rouge days by the 1000s all over the place, & used alot during an ATM mugging.

When I Ireland, (which I won't be no more) I was perfectly happy with our laws of anti gun & still am, though I think for self defense with baton under the bed, the law should be more flexible.. etc re self defense.

But over here in Thailand, expect a gun to be drawn on break in, or ATM mugging, thugs about, especially the 18- early 20s age group of young "toughie" type who go about in gangs, several will more than likely have illegal pistols etc on them. (shoots outs happy btwn rival gangs basically when their out "knacker drinking".

When I realized all of this, I went from anti-gun to "yes, its prudent to have one" but I m not Texas Cowboy Magnum revolver type, about it either.

That is where you will have a very different angle to Krav Maga as Self Protection, moving towards learning combat shooting as well as all the other stuff.

A full replica, looks 100% like the real thing, semi auto, hard BB gun, high gas powered, to get "shot" its 100 times worse than a painball hitting bone up close, & bruises big. Get up to advanced level & (with proper face eye protection) use those for gun removal krav maga training (M16s too, only on BB etc) & be amazed to discover how fast one can (in close in hold gun simulation) deflect the line of fire... (I did not believe gun removals had potential to work, until I did this training. they have some potential! ;-) )

I could go on & on, & non km read about South African of www.Amok.com (now I think knifefighting.com) where use of blade for street self defense fight is permitted. Good resource of proactive knife work www.knifefighting.com

Still, aside from guns,, one must be up to standard of unarmed strikes & training them hard where you hit & get hit, to really get there.. No different than any full contact kick boxer, or Muay Thai guy or MMA chap in Dublin trains..

Cheers

G

Advertisement