Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C and/or focus / depth of field question

• 09-06-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having a whole lot of fun using film cameras, but I'm seeing out of focus parts to my photographs more regularly. Whilst the camera is a manual focus, I think its more a problem with incorrect aperture choice by me. But in the first two photos I can't imagine how it would have exposed properly on such a sunny day if i had used an excessively wide aperture (btw used a Nikon FE with a top shutter speed of 1/1000s with ISO200 film). At other times the photos are tack sharp, i.e photo 3. And the lens itself, a 50mm f/1.4, seems to gives great performance on a digital body, photo 4.

Any thoughts or suggestions (or even C&C on the photo's) would be most appreciated!

Thanks

Oh btw - the film I used was that free film they're giving away in Unicare pharmacies

1. Top of the church looks soft - As a photo it still kinda works though???
    3611208869_774329d9a9.jpg?v=0

2. People are out of focus - photo is poor due to this I think
    3612067410_a49aba3308.jpg?v=0

3. Check out that class bumper sticker!
    3611211579_764e721a2c.jpg?v=0

4. Yet another church
    3612012116_c6141684a3.jpg?v=0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Don't forget that, for a given aperture and field of view, the depth of field will be shallower for film or full-frame digital than for a crop sensor, due to the larger area that the image is projected onto. Having said that, pics 1 and 2 look very strange so I'm not sure there isn't something else going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

of course - definitely forgot about the impact of the "full-frame" versus crop on the dof

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Really like that affect in pic 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

What arpeture were you using on 2? If you were using, lets say, f4, the depth of field my not have extended from infinity to 6 feet from the camera.

Alas no exif data for no. 2 :-) but doing some quick calculations (on the basis of sunny 16 rule) it might have been possible that the aperture was 5.6 -though I think that's the lowest it could have been and still be properly exposed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

looks like your focus points are a tad off for framing...maybe move ap up to 8-11 for more detail overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Number 2 is confusing the hell out of me. At first it looks exactly like motion blur, but it's clearly way too bright for such a long exposure.

It's almost like you used a ND filter and came here to confuse us :D

Seriously though, the steps just behind the lady in the foreground look pretty sharp, but she herself is extremely blurry. I'm confused.

Er, could it be a printing error?

Zillah wrote: »
    Number 2 is confusing the hell out of me. At first it looks exactly like motion blur, but it's clearly way too bright for such a long exposure.

Seriously though, the steps just behind the lady in the foreground look pretty sharp, but she herself is extremely blurry. I'm confused.

Hi Zillah, alas no, I didn't have a grad filter or tripod with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Zillah wrote: »

looks to me as though the focal point was on the church or infinity, and everything else is gradually more and more out of focus approaching the camera as you'd expect. The problem is in the OP, where trican seems to imply that she/he is shooting at as wide an aperture as possible. If you want stuff from near to far in focus then stop down to f/16 and focus at the hyperfocal distance. Checking out the ever useful DOFMaster site (http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html) for a 50mm thats about 17 feet, and everything from about 9 feet to infinity will be in acceptable focus.

Otherwise you just ahve to start making compromises with what you want in focus and out of focus ...

Advertisement