Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to Clean Old Engine for Rebuild

Options
  • 09-06-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi,

I am just wondering does anyone have ideas for the best method to clean an old engine in preperation for repairing it and rebuilding it, The engines are from 2 jeeps, a 90 & 91 so they are old and very dirty,

It would be nice to have a clean engine when finished but also easier to identify potential problems while the engine is out,

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

ste2006 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am just wondering does anyone have ideas for the best method to clean an old engine in preperation for repairing it and rebuilding it, The engines are from 2 jeeps, a 90 & 91 so they are old and very dirty,

It would be nice to have a clean engine when finished but also easier to identify potential problems while the engine is out,

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,
    Moved to Classics.

These guys will give better advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

i persume the engine is out of the keep so.... Then just hotwater and engine degreaser.... If ur feelin up for it ya can get the high temp engine paint !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...some engine recon places have steam or hot wash machines (kind of like a v.large dishwasher). Maybe they'd clean it, for a fee ?

Something like this: http://www.betterengineering.com/parts-washers/leno.html

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Or else lots of scraping, hot water and elbow grease. Make sure any electrics are well protected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Block all the hoses with plugs, make sure the engine is as waterproof as you can get it.
    Mix kerosene and and detergent and apply with a brush working it well into all areas of heavy grease.
    Rinse, repeat until clean.
    OR go to a hot pressure wash and blast away with hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

'Gunk' engine degreaser. Savage stuff.

Pour some into a metal paint kettle and brush it on with a paintbrush. Agitate it, then rinse off. Super stuff altogether.

If you want to stick with less aggressive but equally effective degreaser, the Autoglym Engine Cleaner is also really, really good. Takes a bit more work, but will get the job done well.

Don't power hose it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    'Gunk' engine degreaser. Savage stuff.
    +1 for GUNK. It really is good stuff.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

some meguires APC ,
    cover up electrics with cling film use a wheel brush and poor wter over aggitated area from a watereing can

dont use a hose or power washer

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Gunk sounds good,

Where would i get some of that???

I have two jeeps hence two engines, One is fairly stripped down, The other is just bolted to my engine stand, Would it be safe to use Gunk on the stripped down engine or better to keep away from it???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

ste2006 wrote: »
    Gunk sounds good,

Where would i get some of that???

I have two jeeps hence two engines, One is fairly stripped down, The other is just bolted to my engine stand, Would it be safe to use Gunk on the stripped down engine or better to keep away from it???

Thanks

Any local motor factor should stock Gunk.

Good stuff as others have already said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Halfords usually have it.

Advertisement