Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busking in Quay street

Options
  • 09-06-2009 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Anyone know whether a permit is needed or is it first in kinda thing?!

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's an audition process that happens one Friday a month at the Blue Note in front of Boardsies..:p

Nope, seriously, no permit required. Respect for volume and other buskers. People seem to rotate 'pitch' and it's not polite (and probably not as lucrative) to plonk next to someone already there. Also it helps a bit if you are good;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

No permit required. Not sure if there is a law about it but it's definately not enforced.

Only thing though, if you start busking with an amplifier, I'll be coming after you with a big stick! :mad: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

gary82 wrote: »
    I'll be coming after you with a big stick! :mad: ;)

Didgeridoo player eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

pflaumer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

gary82 wrote: »
    No permit required. Not sure if there is a law about it but it's definately not enforced.

Only thing though, if you start busking with an amplifier, I'll be coming after you with a big stick! :mad: ;)

My understanding is that there is a permit required, but given the holiday atmosphere / tourist on that street, it is not enforced.
    Some of the are actually very entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask the next busker you see :)

I asked two. No permit required. They tried it a few years ago and it failed.

I think the amp thing is a survival technique for some year round buskers.
    Come summer, they haven't a hope in hell to be heard when (some) of the out of towners come in with huge 'spectacle' busking and huge amps.

Unfortunately not all instruments suit an amp. Most of the buskers I know seem to respect each other in terms of a spot and noise (with one or two a-hole notable exceptions who care not!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Buskers with Amps WRECK my head.

Ya well that's pretty much 90% of 'em for the summer!:rolleyes:

Some do my head in too..there's a big diff between someone amped,singing with 'acoustic' guitar / playing flamenco, to 5 lads and a djembe turned up to '11' playing smoke on the water on repeat!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

As long as you don't have a bongo drum you're welcome ...god dam hippies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

no permit required.

Just mind the asshole buskers who will set up beside you if you're doing well and try to drown you out. Most though are grand, and will follow the unwritten rules.

And do try and have a large repertoire of stuff. It really pisses of those who work nearby to hear the same 3 or 4 songs over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJRocket

There will be a lot more buskers on the street for Arts Fest, so may be hard to get a good spot. Looking forward to seeing Plink Plonk man outside Murphys if he decides to pay a visit! Tough Competition for u!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

JJRocket wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Plink Plonk man outside Murphys if he decides to pay a visit!

There's one guys who needs no amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

....Looking forward to seeing Plink Plonk man outside Murphys if he decides to pay a visit! Tough Competition for u!:D

He annoys me

Legally.. you do. But the Gardai never enforce it. As long as you're not making a scene/blocking the flow of traffic there's no problem

A guard told us so

Legally.. you do. But the Gardai never enforce it. As long as you're not making a scene/blocking the flow of traffic there's no problem

A guard told us so

That guard was - ahem - misinformed. I have heard of guards randomly saying this. My friend went in to Mill St to get a final clarification a few years ago because of a certain guard. They referred him to the City Council who are the folks who 'police' any permits. The pilot scheme years ago (which never happened) was to counteract the influx of folks from a certain close-by country who, when challenged about begging, would claim they were busking.

Anyway. You can ring City Council to check. You do not need a permit to busk.

Where they may get you is a noise ordinance infringement if you busk later at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

A guard told us so

Sure on Thursday night i was outside Eason's and two guards strolled up, stopped me, , ,and demanded, , , ,, and i mean DEMANDED, , , , ,that i play some Pearl Jam.:D

Pissed me'hole laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

friend was woundering about a permit, so we went to the city council. There is no such thing as a busking permit, but guards can tell you to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

There will be a lot more buskers on the street for Arts Fest, so may be hard to get a good spot. Looking forward to seeing Plink Plonk man outside Murphys if he decides to pay a visit! Tough Competition for u!:D
    Those are brilliant provided they are not too loud. The loud one should be banned and invite the traditional ones encouraged / supported more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 plinkplonk

I'll be there, the dog's had pups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

plinkplonk wrote: »
    I'll be there, the dog's had pups.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

rarnes1, he has cardboard cut-outs of a guitar and a dog.
    The plink plonk man has found boards!

Hmm, it could be a plink plonk cover band..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Or Plink and the Plonkettes.

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Or Plink and the Plonkettes.

once it's not Plink and the Plonkers..nothing like bad techno;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Magnus wrote: »
    rarnes1, he has cardboard cut-outs of a guitar and a dog.
    The plink plonk man has found boards!

Gotcha :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gotcha :cool:
    is your man still singing falling slowly on Grafton Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

god I love that plink plonk man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

there really ought to be some kind of quality control brought in imo

some of the utter gash that passes for busking in town these days is really quite shocking

that guy with the ponytail and the voilin who does the bendy thing with his legs when he's playing for instance

and do not get me started on the panpipe guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement