Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Happy With Haircut

Options
  • 09-06-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Ok so basically 2 days ago I went to get my hair done(Colour and Cut), So after asking my friends about cheap places they recommend the academy after them going there..

I wasn't sure but I though I would give it a go, Went there. Everything was grand until I got to the till, I couldn't believe it, €65 and these aren't even qualified hairdessers yet, They are graduating.
    Also my friend got her whole her dyed from blonde to brown(Length down to shoulders) and a cut for €70 yet I get charged almost as much for not half the work..

The girl had to be told how much an inch was to cut off my hair and didn't even cut off an inch, And she charged me 65 euro?! I'm shocked, The recepionist called down to confirm the price at the till and all because she too msut have thought it was very high.

Basically, I know hair can be dear but my main gripe is my hair isn't even long and usually I can go get my hair cut from another barbers who is trained etc for 50.. And someone in training costs more? I don't understand..

I am going to go back tommorrow to ask about it but I have never done things like this so I'm just looking for some advice, Am I entitled to money back or anything at all? Should I just leave it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Hi,

I don't think you are "entitled" to a refund as a consumer, unless the service was not as described. Did you ask her the price before she started?

I'd just cut my losses and not go back there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

all of these situations can be avoided by simply asking how much it will cost BEFORE you get it done

I find it hard to believe people go in somewhere and are too lazy to enquire how much its going to cost

theres very little point in complaining after the fact since your in a much stronger position to negeotiate before the work is done

if you went into a restaurant and ate a €30 meal without asking the price would you try and haggle them down to €15 AFTER youve eaten it ?

a trader can charge whatever they want and its a buyers market out there especially at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I did ask how much would it cost, she kinda brushed it off saying something like "Not much" and I figured it wouldn't be too dear.. Which yes I know was my mistake.

And since my friend got her whole head coloured and a cut for €70(As in that is very cheap for a girl) I figured mine would be about 40/50-55 max.

65 euro just doesn't sit right with me especially since she wasn't graduated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Cut your losses and dont go back . theses things happen and you learn your lesson. Its not as if they can put your hair back on and give you a refund.

:D

True I know I was just wondering though but thanks I won't be going back there again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Resi12 wrote: »
    Also my friend got her whole her dyed from blonde to brown(Length down to shoulders) and a cut for €70 yet I get charged almost as much for not half the work..

So because your friend got what you believe is a deal you assumed you wouldn't have to pay much?
    Am I entitled to money back or anything at all? Should I just leave it?

Frankly I don't see how, if you wanted more cut off you should have asked this while your hair was being cut.

In addition you should have asked the price before you got your hair cut instead of assuming you get a "bargain", as much as it sucks simply learn and move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

So let me get this straight, nowhere in your post do you say you're unhappy with the cut you got, you're just unhappy with the cost ? Maybe a thread title change is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

delllat wrote: »
    if you went into a restaurant and ate a €30 meal without asking the price would you try and haggle them down to €15 AFTER youve eaten it ?
    +1 you check the menu outside.

What did the price list say at the hairdressers? seems they are legally obliged to have one.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Prices/Specific_price_displays.html
    Specific Price Displays
    Certain businesses are required by law to display their prices in a specific way. Their price notices should be visible from the street or immediately inside the entrance to the premises, and should be legible and up-to-date.

The idea is that consumers should be in a position to compare prices in various premises and to inform themselves of the price in a particular premises before they decide to enter.

These premises include:
    • Service stations
    • Pubs, wine bars, hotels and other licensed premises (but not off-licences)
    • Restaurants and any other businesses (e.g. hotels, pubs, cafés) that offer food for sale and consumption on the premises
    • Hairdressers and barber shops

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1976/en/si/0156.html
    S.I. No. 156/1976:

CHARGES (HAIRDRESSING) DISPLAY ORDER, 1976

3. A hairdresser shall display a notice setting out the charges for every service rendered by him in his capacity as a hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'm guessing this is the first time you went to a hairdressers or a salon rather than a barbers. The last time I went to a salon for a cut and colour it cost me almost 200. Now the colour was a big job but I reckon around 90 would be standard for that these days. You keep referring to your friend getting her whole head coloured so maybe you had highlights??? which are in fact a lot more expensive than a full head due to the fact it is a lot harder to do and get right.

I think I know the academy you went to, George Street? The girls pay to get trained so you are not even paying them for your hair do you are paying the academy and the teachers. Of course the girl would need to be told what to do as she was in training.

Its a lesson hard learnt but next time ensure you know the full price before getting anything done.

My job heavily involves selling and the only custommers who dont ask for prices upfront are the people who are "well heeled" so to speak as they generally can afford whatever price the price may be

when youve already gotten your hair cut and coloured the time for negeotiations is over

you wouldnt pay a man to paint your house or change the engine in your car and after it was done decide to ask a lower price,would you ?

visit the doctor for 5 minutes and he still wants €55 euro, You cant say i wasnt very sick so heres €20 ,keep the change u filthy animal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ok so basically 2 days ago I went to get my hair done(Colour and Cut), So after asking my friends about cheap places they recommend the academy after them going there..

I wasn't sure but I though I would give it a go, Went there. Everything was grand until I got to the till, I couldn't believe it, €65 and these aren't even qualified hairdessers yet, They are graduating.

The girl had to be told how much an inch was to cut off my hair and didn't even cut off an inch, And she charged me 65 euro?! I'm shocked, The recepionist called down to confirm the price at the till and all because she too msut have thought it was very high.

Basically, I know hair can be dear but my main gripe is my hair isn't even long and usually I can go get my hair cut from another barbers who is trained etc for 50.. And someone in training costs more? I don't understand..

I am going to go back tommorrow to ask about it but I have never done things like this so I'm just looking for some advice, Am I entitled to money back or anything at all? Should I just leave it?

Maybe you should e-mail michael.oleary@ryanair.com and see if they can bring a revolutionary per inch billing system to hairdressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hairdressers are obliged to display a price list. This should be clearly visible.

The thing with going to hairdressing schools is that sometimes prices are very low because you have a student and other times you will pay more. You should always ask upfront.

If you're getting your hair coloured by a trainee you still have to pay for the cost of the materials but usually nothing (or very little) to the time of the person involved.

Wow, Why are some people being so venomous? I was only asking a question.

I understand now and as many people have said I will cut my loss's and not be going again. I have no gripe with the actual hairdresser even though she didn't give me the exact cut I wanted or the type of colour.

I just found it a bit much to be paying. Thanks to people who came on to actually answer or help and not to just be a troll.

Wow, Why are some people being so venomous? I was only asking a question.

I understand now and as many people have said I will cut my loss's and not be going again. I have no gripe with the actual hairdresser even though she didn't give me the exact cut I wanted or the type of colour.

I just found it a bit much to be paying. Thanks to people who came on to actually answer or help and not to just be a troll.

if anyones behaviour is troll-like its yours

people like you shouldnt be allowed out to interact with others

you are now trying to justify your earlier statemnts by saying that cut and colour were both wrong although previously no mention of this made

only that you were "overcharged" which is complete garbage since you didnt even check the price :rolleyes:

go back to your cave

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

dellat Please respect other posters.

dudara

I never said I was overcharged? In fact I was but mainly my point was I just didn't agree with the price and because of that I won't be going back there again.

The cut and colour weren't wrong, Just not exactly what I wanted but it's not the end of the world I was talking about minor things like the length over my ear which my handy scissors took to.

And I did check the price,
    From PDF:
    Graduate Stylist €15.00
    Academy Full Head of Lites & Blow-dry €40

And I was charged €65, therefore why I started this topic to get advice as I said in my first post,
    "Am I entitled to money back or anything at all? Should I just leave it?"

So delllat I am not sure what your problem is or why you have taken this so personally but I don't really care what you say especially calling me a liar because I know what I meant. And you might want to look up the meaning of troll.

you are now trying to justify your earlier statemnts by saying that cut and colour were both wrong although previously no mention of this made

Go look at the title of the thread.. :rolleyes:

dudara wrote: »
    dellat Please respect other posters.

dudara

Thank you. :)

Advertisement