Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube very slow

Options
  • 09-06-2009 11:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Hey all, Ive been using Perlico 1mb broadband for the last 2 years now and its served my purpose well, boards, general browsing, youtubing etc but lately (last 2-3 weeks) youtube has been just awful, I have to pause the video for 30 seconds to let it load a bit before playing or else its stop-start. It was working fine before then. Its only youtube thats slow too for some reason, every other site I go on seems very fast in comparison.

Any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated. Perlico hardly throttle your youtube usage??

Thx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Do a speedtest
    http://www.speedtest.net/
    When done, click "copy forum link", then paste the result into Your next reply

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

493050550.png
    Thats the lowest my ping has ever been, usually 130+, and my youtube isnt as slow 2nite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thats the full speed a 1mbit connection is going to give.
    You're not going to get full speed all the time, You will notice slowdowns in the evening as You share Your connection with many others and the contention ratio on 1mbit is 48:1.
    Ping times can't be judged from speedtest results, they're usually miles off and anyway ping times don't affect Youtube streaming. Ping www.boards.ie from command prompt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Try updating the flash player ;http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If does not help then try updating the router firmware , this can help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Did you maybe turn on the HD version of YouTube?

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thats the full speed a 1mbit connection is going to give.
    You're not going to get full speed all the time, You will notice slowdowns in the evening as You share Your connection with many others and the contention ratio on 1mbit is 48:1.
    Ping times can't be judged from speedtest results, they're usually miles off and anyway ping times don't affect Youtube streaming. Ping www.boards.ie from command prompt
    mixednuts wrote: »
    Try updating the flash player ;http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If does not help then try updating the router firmware , this can help
    crawler wrote: »
    Did you maybe turn on the HD version of YouTube?

Ok so heres what happens when I ping www.boards.ie from cmd.
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Annemarie>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [xx.xxx.xx.xxx] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=51
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=51
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=51
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for xx.xxx.xx.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 55ms, Maximum = 59ms, Average = 57ms

C:\Users\Annemarie>

I wouldnt know where to start with updating firmware on my router.
    Im paying 40 a month with Perlico at the moment, Im with them for 2+ years, is it possible get faster broadband for the same price without having to buy out a contract etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Perlico are crap what about eircom?

Dumb wrote: »
    Perlico are crap what about eircom?
    Im not paying line rental at the moment... and I dont intend on starting, also I had eircom broadband about 3 years ago and to say I had a horrible experience was an understatement. (Signed up for broadband only three weeks later I had a phone installed while I was out, charged for 6 months line rental + broadband I never got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

FearDark wrote: »
    Im not paying line rental at the moment... and I dont intend on starting, also I had eircom broadband about 3 years ago and to say I had a horrible experience was an understatement. (Signed up for broadband only three weeks later I had a phone installed while I was out, charged for 6 months line rental + broadband I never got.

Oh right. Well I wouldn't be changing seeing as I have free broadband

Advertisement