Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa Confederations Cup 2009

• 10-06-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Team by team preview

We should be in for some good some entertainment here with Spain, Italy and Brazil all going at it this time around.

Spain completed their warm up with a 6-0 victory over Azerbaijan, their 12th consecutive victory since needing penalties to overcome Italy in the quarter finals of the European Championships last summer, and their 32nd match unbeaten since a 0-1 reverse to Romania all the way back in November 2006.

Soon to be madridista, David Villa, bagged a hat-trick today taking his internationl scoring record to 28 goals in 46 apps. Torres, Riera and Güiza got the others. All the goals can be seen here;

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20090609/jaque-mate-espana-los-azerbaiyanos/280334.shtml

Spain are also now only 3 games short of Brazil's 35 game unbeaten record. Personally I really believe they're good and young enough to go on and break just about every record. They have a great squad, a great manager, and a newly found winning menatality. Hopefully they will be able to light up the World Cup next summer as they did the European Championships last summer.

In the meantime we can hope for a Confederations goal fest and the possibility of a Spain-Brazil final. I think Spain have played and beaten just about every other nation in the last 2 years, but I don't recall them coming up against Brazil in my living memory. Should be good with Brazil in decent form after their historic 4-0 win in Montevideo at the weekend which placed them top of the SOuth American qualifying group. They have a tricky game against Paraguay tomorrow however. Anyway...

¡Vamos España!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Looking forward to this. Glad Spain are in it, love watching them play. Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Villa, Torres...mmm....

Spain to win, preferably against Brazil in the final. Imagine that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. Glad Spain are in it, love watching them play. Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Villa, Torres...mmm....

Spain to win, preferably against Brazil in the final. Imagine that!

Iniesta is out

afaik

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Will the matches be shown here and if so about what time?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

yes rte have it

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_fb_type&category=SOCCER&disp_cat_id=&ev_class_id=49&ev_type_id=2099

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not sure what time they'll be shown at but RTE definitely have the coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Xavi supplying Torres, two unstoppable forces combine...

http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/20090609/torres-lleva-premio-0-6/522605.shtml

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Unstoppable forces? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

SUN 14:45 South Africa v Iraq KO 15:00 RTE 1
    SUN 19:00 New Zealand v Spain KO 19:30 RTE 2

MON 14:45 Brazil v Egypt KO 15:00 RTE 2
    MON 19:00 USA v Italy KO 19:30 RTE 2

Looks like RTE are showing all the games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_FIFA_Confederations_Cup

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

SUN 14:45 South Africa v Iraq KO 15:00 RTE 1
    SUN 19:00 New Zealand v Spain KO 19:30 RTE 2

MON 14:45 Brazil v Egypt KO 15:00 RTE 2
    MON 19:00 USA v Italy KO 19:30 RTE 2

Looks like RTE are showing all the games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_FIFA_Confederations_Cup
    Wonderful!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Can i just say i love these tournaments. The summer tournament held in England in 1995 was the first i can remember savouring through the summer time. 2005 German one as well. i say kudos to Blatter for this midsummer oasis, who's with me?

• Advertisement

i would never say kudos to that him...

CHD wrote: »
    Unstoppable forces? lol
    Ok so tell me then, who can stop them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Headshot wrote: »
    i would never say kudos to that him...

Heresy.
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter has urged women footballers to wear skimpier kits to increase the popularity of the women's game....

"Let the women play in more feminine clothes like they do in volleyball," said the Fifa chief.

"They could, for example, have tighter shorts."

Blatter added: "Female players are pretty, if you excuse me for saying so, and they already have some different rules to men - such as playing with a lighter ball.

"That decision was taken to create a more female aesthetic, so why not do it in fashion?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/3402519.stm

I salute his foresight and nous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

kinaldo wrote: »
    Ok so tell me then, who can stop them?
    Prety sure Man United, Chelsea and Bolton at home could :)

Don't say something stupid like sure Barca beat United and Chelsea and Torres has scored against them, proves nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

At the above...
    doesn't it?

CHD wrote: »
    Prety sure Man United, Chelsea and Bolton at home could :)

Don't say something stupid like sure Barca beat United and Chelsea and Torres has scored against them, proves nothing.
    Well I won't mention Bolton, they clearly know how to stop the best, but it would be folly not to point out Torres' impressive record against The Reds and The Blues, or Xavi's successes/performances against them this season.

Proves nothing indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Villa to be top-scorer again - he works great with Torres. He is Spain's main goal-threat with Torres supplying him and Xavi in behind. Shame Iniesta is out.

Looking like a Spain-Brazil final. I actually fancy Egypt to beat Italy as the Italians suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Anyone have a link to the full squad lists? Would be interesting to see what young players Brazil are bringing along that may make a name for themselves.

I'm gonna predict that Pato gets Top Goalscorer with Torres a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Vokes wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the full squad lists? Would be interesting to see what young players Brazil are bringing along that may make a name for themselves.

I'm gonna predict that Pato gets Top Goalscorer with Torres a close second.

Brazil squad list here (other squads there too)

http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/teams/team=43924/squadlist.html

Doesn't look like there's too many young unknowns in the squad tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Can i just say i love these tournaments. The summer tournament held in England in 1995 was the first i can remember savouring through the summer time. 2005 German one as well. i say kudos to Blatter for this midsummer oasis, who's with me?

If nothing else, at least it will provide a welcome distraction to the bogball and the toffs at Wimbledon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

My god that spainish midfield is sexual....centre midfield alone is orgasmic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking forwards to this, normally I take no interest but should be good. BBC3 has games at 7 pm through the week, dunno whats lurking behind the red button.

Just as an aside the weather in SA is obviously in Winter Mode so will this hand European teams an advantage either now or next summer I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

Soby wrote: »
    My god that spainish midfield is sexual....centre midfield alone is orgasmic

You might want to wipe your computer screen when you are done!:D

Dont forget this is starting today,KO 3.00 .south africa v iraq

How come RTE are only advertising for the Italy game tomorrow?

All games are on BBC, the early games are behind the Red button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Headshot wrote: »
    Dont forget this is starting today,KO 3.00 .south africa v iraq

South Africa 2-0. Sets up nicely for half 8 between Spain and New Zealand, when I read Spains starting 11 I get sexually excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Here's hoping for a USA v Iraq final- the battle of Baghdad Part II and revenge for an illegal occupation!

no not really

its a pity its not showing on bbc hd

Johnny Utah, politics forum is....not here.

pity no Eamon Dunphy

come on south africa

South African jersey is class.

Its handy that Mathew Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth is the only white guy! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

im finding the crowd noise a little distracting.

is it just me or is the commentary/picture out of sync?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

Bah RTE commentry is a couple of seconds ahead of the picture!:mad:

Bloody rte ahead of the game

Is it me or are the buzzing bees getting annoying :pac: Great save by the Iraqi keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Yeah it sounds like there is swarms of killer bees circulating the stadium. I hope next years world cup doesnt sound like that for every game.

Also sounds like im watching F1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

This game is awful and those horns are wreckin my nut. . Think I'll give it 5 more minutes

This game is awful and those horns are wreckin my nut. . Think I'll give it 5 more minutes

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yep I've bailed out, it better not be like this the whole tournie. As for the game, its like Boro v Bolton but without the sparkle of such a tie.

Pitch is a disgrace,god help the world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

As usual RTE cant get the pics and the sound to match up....40 mins into the game.....do you think anyone in RTE has even noticed? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

im finding the crowd noise a little distracting.

is it just me or is the commentary/picture out of sync?
    Yeah same here. Thought I was being a bit sensitive letting the noise distract me but it's incessant. Plus the commentary being out of sync is unforgiveable. Peter Collins telling you that the ball has gone wide before it's been kicked just makes a mockery of the commentary. :rolleyes:

Game on BBC interactive if they dont fix it during HT. Did they mention the temps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Peter Collins telling you that the ball has gone wide before it's been kicked just makes a mockery of the commentary. :rolleyes:

Peter Collins makes a mockery of commentary full stop!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

mike65 wrote: »
    Game on BBC interactive if they dont fix it during HT. Did they mention the temps?

not all of us have the BBC channel :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement