Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa Confederations Cup 2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

elshambo wrote: »
    Channel only starts at 7

Ah lovely, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Lets see how patronizing keown is to the south africans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

RTE have it as a web stream

http://www.rte.ie/live/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

how class is booooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

South Africa doing very well here. Get the feeling we're on for 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Anyone elses BBC 3 suddenly turn into the New Zealand - Iraq game where the Spain - South Africa match should be? I have it on both options via the red button now and no spanish match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

spain V SA has a draw written all over it

Villa is missing some amount of howlers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

bbc3 showing the spain game here anyway

• Advertisement

Puyol needs to be moved out of right back, completely out of his depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spain are a one man team and Alonso is that man!

mike65 wrote: »
    Spain are a one man team and Alonso is that man!

i was knocked back by that comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Xavi and Villa are having a "quiet" day, as mentioned Puyol is rubbish-ish. Buscuits is average.

Have not been impressed by Fabregas in this tournament either.

With Villa and Torres off, S.A. have a chance.

Have not been impressed by Fabregas in this tournament either.

I was thinking the same

very poor tournament so far

SA really playing some good stuff

• Advertisement

Did I just see a South African wearing a Shamrock Rovers shirt?

Have to say, Xavi has been immaculate as usual, tackled three times in the space of a few seconds but still came away with the ball.

The real "best player in the world" if you ask me.

Have to say, Xavi has been immaculate as usual, tackled three times in the space of a few seconds but still came away with the ball.

The real "best player in the world" if you ask me.
    Wonderful free-kick to set up Llorente for 2-0.

Pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I noticed that as well and I am pretty sure it was a Rovers shirt :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Sporting Lisbon I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Spain's never ending winning streak / unbeaten run continues... bring on the Brazilians.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jun/20/confederations-cup-world-cup-vuvuzela

With a year to go before the start of the World Cup, I can boldly predict what televisual phenomenon is going to sweep the nation next June and July: the mute button. It will be to football broadcasting what Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie would be to the live performance of rap music: great to look at, a nightmare to listen to.

If you don't know what a vuvuzela is, you will soon. It is a long, trumpet-like instrument made of plastic, which has been used by fans at the Confederations Cup in South Africa to make a din so horrific that even television coverage is almost insufferable. It sounds like a platoon of ninja bumblebees with a bad mobile signal have left you a 45-minute answerphone message. Or like your ears have developed the ability to filter out all sound except for that produced by Vespa scooters, to which they have become incredibly sensitive.

Some people say the vuvuzela originates in a tribal instrument made from the horn of the kudu, blown to summon villagers to important meetings. Others say the vuvuzela originates in a plastics factory in China. The truth is unclear.

"I think they should be banned," says Liverpool's Xabi Alonso, who has been experiencing the full vuvuzela treatment while playing for Spain. "We're used to people shouting but not to this trumpet noise which doesn't allow you to concentrate and is unbearable. They make it very difficult for the players to communicate with each other. They are a distraction and do nothing for the atmosphere."

Fifa, however, ruled out a ban last week after the host nation –who had featured the horns prominently in their advertising campaign for the event – protested that they were essential for "an authentic South African footballing experience". There was a time when an authentic English footballing experience involved hiding from marauding gangs of booted brutes before paying to stand in a bit of a crush with a close-up view of the back of someone's head and another man's urine dripping down the back of your trousers, and I don't recall Fifa standing up for that.

They will reconsider their decision only if the bugles are used in acts of violence. I'm not usually one to encourage hooliganism but in this case I would gladly take the blow myself, on behalf of the 400,000 people planning to go to the World Cup. Besides, one vuvuzela being used to assault me is one less vuvuzela being used to make an infernal racket.

"It's not for Fifa to say stop making noise in football grounds," said world soccer supremo Sepp Blatter. "It is not damaging. If you go to a disco in the night your hearing would be much more challenged." What's being challenged right now is my ability to ignore the mental image of Sepp Blatter at a disco.

"I always said that when we go to South Africa, it is Africa," Blatter added. "It's noisy, it's energy, rhythm, music, dance, drums. This is Africa. We have to adapt a little."

This seems to me an unacceptable use of popular stereotype. Africans – they're noisy and they dance a lot. What would Blatter say if the trumpets became popular in the US? "It's true that they are a bit annoying, but this is America, and the people are complete morons. We have to adapt a little"?

South Africa are not the first hosts to introduce into World Cup stadiums something that is not to international tastes, as anyone who tried the squid-flavoured peanuts on offer at many 2002 games will testify. It is just that a global television audience was always much less likely to get worked up about, or even notice, the unusual aroma produced when you combine nut and cephalopod.

Johannesburg's Soccer City stadium, site of next year's final, has been designed to send the crowd's noise echoing back over those inside. I can only imagine what the 94,000 present will experience as the tournament reaches its climax – and what I'm imagining is a massively over-amplified Metallica concert where the music is performed entirely on kazoo. "It will be the noisiest World Cup ever," boasted organising honcho Danny Jordaan. "They will come with their vuvuzelas, That noise will be captured in the dome." By all means capture it, but then keep it in custody and never, ever let the bugger out.

It's not that English fans are perfect – indeed they have their own musical irritant in the shape of a brass band that parps the theme to The Great Escape, often for hours at a time. But perhaps South Africa can learn from the loud wooden rattles that soundtracked British football in the post-war era – and fell out of favour when everyone realised just how annoying they were. I can only hope that one day soon a similar fate will befall the vuvuzelas. And Sepp Blatter, for that matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Ah so he returns! Noticed him in the first match but wasn't sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Bring on Italy vs Brazil. *checks watch* :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I sat in a bar the other day with vuvuzela's going off all around me. If you think they're annoying over tv, and you're planning to come over to the world cup, bring ear plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Beans_On

I sat in a bar the other day with vuvuzela's going off all around me. If you think they're annoying over tv, and you're planning to come over to the world cup, bring ear plugs.

they are banned for the world cup apparently.
    thank god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A7X wrote: »
    Ah so he returns! Noticed him in the first match but wasn't sure.
    Pretty sure it's a Bloemfontein Celtic one. Saw loads of them at the match in Bloemfontein.

Beans_On wrote: »
    thank god

Link ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Pretty sure it's a Bloemfontein Celtic one. Saw loads of them at the match in Bloemfontein.

More than likely. Think it has a vodafone sponsor thingy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

mayordenis wrote: »
    nope it ends the group - egypt will beat usa and brazil will beat italy -end of story :)

You sure about that?

• Advertisement

ill go for Egypt to beat usa and italy to draw against brazil

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You sure about that?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

mayordenis wrote: »
    Yes.

Well, the yanks have a lot of heart- they should put up a good fight.

US won't qualify no matter won't happens, Egypt possibly could with a good result if Brazil beat Italy. US will be deflated, while Egypt will be revved up.

come on Egypt

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Gotta love that Italian National Anthem - gets the juices going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Beans_On wrote: »
    thank god

I searched google there and couldn't find any confirmation that they are banned. I suppose the one good thing about england qualifying for the world cup is that their fans are likely to beat the sh1te out of anyone with a Vuvuzela. I predict a riot or 2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

No brown shorts this evening for Italy :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I always dislike having to hear Kenny Cunningham doing Commentary of punditry but atleast we get the F'n Legend that is George Hamilton

http://www.dangerhere.com/hallofguff/george_hamilton.php

some of his classic lines :D

George: "Roy Carsley has it"
    Jim: "Lee Carsley, George"
    George: "Ah yes, perhaps it's because his head reminds me of Ray Wilkins"

"Real Madrid are like a rabbit in the glare of the headlights in the face of Manchester United's attacks. But this rabbit comes with a suit of armour in the shape of two precious away goals."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats the noise in the background? It sounds like the pitch has been invaded by wasps.

Sully wrote: »
    Whats the noise in the background? It sounds like the pitch has been invaded by wasps.

Haven't read this thead much have you :p They're some African horns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Vuvuzela's

image003.jpgx44.3million

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Haven't read this thead much have you :p They're some African horns.

lol nope. I just flicked on, saw the match which I have little interest in and wondered wtf the noise was. Thought it was an RTE cock up tbh.

dammit any way

usa 1 up

Buffon saving Italy with a few good saves.

EDIT: 1-0 Brazil, Fabiano!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

excellent touch and finish

2-0, Fabiano, brilliant goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

IvySlayer wrote: »
    2-0, Fabiano, brilliant goal.

Italy in Real Trouble! Egypt going through at the mo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

3-0 what an OG!

Italy in Real Trouble! Egypt going through at the mo!

Indeed 3-0!!! OG by Dossena.

• Advertisement
Advertisement