Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa Confederations Cup 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Dossena?

Brazil are ripping a poor Italy team apart. Hopeful from an Irish perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Dossena?

Brazil are ripping a poor Italy team apart. Hopeful from an Irish perspective.

Wouldn't get your hopes up too much. The likes of Kaka, Robinho and Fabiano might be able to rip Italy apart but we have Whelan, Duff and Leon Best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Unearthly wrote: »
    Wouldn't get your hopes up too much. The likes of Kaka, Robinho and Fabiano might be able to rip Italy apart but we have Whelan, Duff and Leon Best.

Don't forget Zidine Kilbane! He owes us a good game after those 2 errors in the games against Buglaria!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

What's the story with Italy's jerseys these days? In 2006 they looked like Scotland and now they look like Uruguay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

i wouldn't worry about Italy too much to be honest. I fully expect them to beat us if they've 11 on the field for 90 minutes as opposed to the 10 we couldn't beat in Italy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

a goal for italy or Usa now mean they pass Egypt into 2nd in the group but as is Egypt make the Semis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cant believe this game somtimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Sully wrote: »
    Whats the noise in the background? It sounds like the pitch has been invaded by wasps.

The crowd are buzzing, literally

3-0 USA who go 2nd on goal difference now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Unbelievable, USA sneaking in the back door!

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    cant believe this game somtimes

USA 3-0 up now and that puts them in second place!!! would have got decent odds on them getting through at the start of the night :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

What's the story with Italy's jerseys these days? In 2006 they looked like Scotland and now they look like Uruguay.
    It's to honour the Italian World Cup winning team of 34 & 38. Being worn for this competition only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Vuvuzela's

image003.jpgx44.3million

I seriously hope FIFA ban these things from the world cup. They're so annoying, create such an odd atmosphere as well. Can they not just blow them when a goal goes in or something? Honestly its really putting me off watching some of the games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

IvySlayer wrote: »
    US won't qualify no matter won't happens, Egypt possibly could with a good result if Brazil beat Italy. US will be deflated, while Egypt will be revved up.

Nice one :o:o

looks whose coming on for brazil

kleberson

Nice one :o:o

set yourself up nicely for that one alright :).

7 minutes to go!

:eek:Kleberson is alive.

who does he play for?

who does he play for?

wikipedia tells me Flamengo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Is it the real kleberson-son-son?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is it the real kleberson-son-son?

The one and only. 14 year old child bride and all

Im gob smacked by this result

well done usa

Italy deserve it! got screwed by red cards in both the other games and then beat the team that beat Italy 3-0

Usa vs Spain
    S.Africa vs Brazil

most likely Spain vs Brazil final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Fair play to USA, they've played pretty well , I've been impressed by them. Great little performance from Brasil. I thought they'd have got another goal or two though.

Lol at the kid rubbing a feast on his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Anyone else notice the young kid the camera's picked up in the crowd rubbing an ice cream all over his face during the Brazil game?? Hilarious....:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I, for one am enjoying this Confed Cup. Brazil-Spain final could be a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

eoin99 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the young kid the camera's picked up in the crowd rubbing an ice cream all over his face during the Brazil game?? Hilarious....:pac::pac:

Yes, and posted straight away, noting how George Hamilton used it to his super-powered-commentating advantage... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eoin99 wrote: »

He seemed quite.....special.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

JPA wrote: »
    He seemed quite.....special.

So special RTE included him in the highlights reel at the end of the programme...what a hero

Italy are out of the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup, after putting in arguably their worst performance of the past decade, which resulted in a 3-0 hammering at the hands of Brazil.

The Azzurri managed to score just three goals in the entire tournament, all of which came in their first match against the United States, the nation that will join the Brazilians in the final four.

Marcello Lippi was understandably disappointed following the contest, and one would expect that the his position as coach of the country will come under further scrutiny in the coming days.

“We are sorry to be out of the competition, but it is not because Brazil are stronger than us,” Lippi affirmed in a post match press conference.

“We knew that Brazil were always going to be strong, as they are one of the best in the world.”

The coach continued by responding to those who have criticized him for not selecting younger players for this particular tournament.

He added, “You speak about young players. Which young players? Do you just throw young players into these matches? Youngsters have to be introduced gradually.

“We must stay calm, and keep in mind that it is important to have experience in these types of matches.

“You can’t just throw in seven or eight young players, because they have to be mature. [Giuseppe] Rossi has played three games, not entirely, but he did, so I don’t know what you are talking about.

“My plan is not going to change. I am sticking to my plan. I feel sad, as do the players because they were unable to portray Italy in the right manner tonight, but we know that we can do better.”

Lippi was finally asked about whether or not he would bring a number of younger players with him to next year’s World Cup, and in response he simply stated “goodbye”.

The Italians will resume their World Cup qualifying campaign for 2010 in September, with a match away to Georgia.

great news from an ireland point of view

• Advertisement

[After Egypt beat Italy...........]
    That throws the group wide open.

mayordenis wrote: »
    nope it ends the group - egypt will beat usa and brazil will beat italy -end of story :)
    ill go for Egypt to beat usa and italy to draw against brazil
    Well, the yanks have a lot of heart- they should put up a good fight.
    US won't qualify no matter won't happens, Egypt possibly could with a good result if Brazil beat Italy. US will be deflated, while Egypt will be revved up.

:rolleyes: Do you lot ever get tired of being wrong all the time?

Well, the Egyptians have a mountain pyramid to climb after their opening day defeat. Do they have enough guile to break down the steely Italian stalwarts?

I don't think so- Italian win.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Does anyone know what the odds of the USA qualifying were before the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

That's some truly exquisite quotage. So, and don't lie now, did ye both save them, waiting til they were relevant to unleash them?

I was half expecting this, after seeing people write off usa so much.

lol

Lucky win, in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Morzadec wrote: »
    I seriously hope FIFA ban these things from the world cup. They're so annoying, create such an odd atmosphere as well. Can they not just blow them when a goal goes in or something? Honestly its really putting me off watching some of the games

They probably are annoying but I bet any of us that are over there next Summer will buy one, because it will be a case of 'if you can't beat them...'

Lucky win, in fairness

doesnt matter you still got it wrong

just shows your human after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

doesnt matter you still got it wrong

just shows your human after all
    Good call Headshot, show up the.... person..... for what he is

/locked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Posted by myself five minutes before USA vs Egypt kicked off. :)

Of course, I didn't forsee that being good enough to qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Italy are f*cking sh*te

• Advertisement

Go to bed dave. Sleep it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

great news from an ireland point of view

Depends how it plays. New manager or not, Italy will have a lot to prove come Sept. and could be really fired up for those games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I hate to say I told you so.... :)
    shane86 wrote: »
    I fronted an opinion (namely that our main big worry is an injection of talented youth into the sluggish Italians fronted by overated types from middling leagues like Luca Toni), people disagreed,
    Bollocks. They are a largely past it gang of chancers who coughed and stuttered their way through their qualifiers and Euro 08. They were shockingly bad. The last Italy match I watched sober was the Brazil game, they were found out by a Brazil squad who themselves have been having a rocky patch.
    . Luckily for the time being at least Lippi like many Italians before him sticks to his more mature squads, but Marcheda is without a doubt the most dangerous player any of our rivals have at their disposal.

To think nobody agreed with any of this :rolleyes:

How many fecking times does the curent team show that as a single unit they are over the hill before people will get it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Couldn't be happier to be wrong about the USA match - glad I didn't put money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Luckily for the time being at least Lippi like many Italians before him sticks to his more mature squads, but Marcheda is without a doubt the most dangerous player any of our rivals have at their disposal.

I still pretty heartily disagree with this (assuming you mean Macheda?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

GuanYin wrote: »
    The only good thing I can take out of todays game is that we will definitely not have to play be embarrassed by Spain :(

DARN IT!!!!

errr, I mean *YAAAAY*

Spain v usa tomorrow

should be good game

still think Spain will win but it's going to be hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If Spain score first, somewhat early, i think they'll win comfortably, passing the ball around USA.

If US sneak the first though...never know, they've got a lot of spirit..

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If Spain score first, somewhat early, i think they'll win comfortably, passing the ball around USA.

If US sneak the first though...never know, they've got a lot of spirit..

im going for a tight win for Spain

maybe 1-0 or 2-0 spain

villa to score

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

im going for a tight win for Spain

maybe 1-0 or 2-0 spain

villa to score[/QUOTE]

I hope youre right - I backed him @ 9-2 to be top scorer at the start of the tournament. That looked dodgy after 30 mins of the opening match. Villa seems to be the more consistent goal-scorer than Torres. Even in this Confed Cup they both have 3 but Torres got all of his in the first match whereas Villa has scored in every match.

Spain should win tonight but they are not playing great. You have to admire Del Bosque - when he got sacked from Real after guiding them to the CL he thanked the club for allowing him to be part of it all. Now he is saluting Aragones "Luis left me the toy with the battery in".

Advertisement