Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa Confederations Cup 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    As much as I like Spain, I'm absolutely chuffed to bits for the US side. They were far better over the 90 minutes. Spain were not up to scratch, & when it gets down to the nitty gritty they're not up to it - continue to play passing, no where to go football.

spain looked really narrow on the right hand side....should have put those last few corners into the box....and really dodgy at the back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Liam O wrote: »
    They have the same problem as Spain, they are very weak in defense. I feel that they wouldn't make it past the first quality attack they come up against. I dunno, I like Argentina and I feel England could be a good bet now that they have cut a lot of the inconsistencies from their game. Also, on their days, Germany, France and Portugal can beat anyone in world football. Also, Spain can't be discounted although they are constant bottlers in the WC. This is quite a weak Brazil team compared to many past ones and I just feel that other teams have better all round teams than them.

U havent watched france and portugal recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Spain are defensively better than Brazil imo.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Spain are defensively better than Brazil imo.

U know what im going to say they're more or less equal

Headshot wrote: »
    U know what im going to say they're more or less equal

and i think the world and its mother would agree that spain are miles better in midfield and up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Liam O wrote: »
    They have the same problem as Spain, they are very weak in defense. I feel that they wouldn't make it past the first quality attack they come up against. I dunno, I like Argentina and I feel England could be a good bet now that they have cut a lot of the inconsistencies from their game. Also, on their days, Germany, France and Portugal can beat anyone in world football. Also, Spain can't be discounted although they are constant bottlers in the WC. This is quite a weak Brazil team compared to many past ones and I just feel that other teams have better all round teams than them.

Firstly Germany and Portugal have no chance of winning the WC and on their day would not beat the best teams in the world. Portugal are crap, simple as, they wont even make it to the WC next year. Germany are mediocre at best and have no chance of winning the WC. Remember the WC is on in SA and no European team have won it outside out of Europe.

England are all hype. A blind man can see that Lampard and Gerrard cannot play together and Walcott is a dud. Brazil having no defense is about as plausible as when people were saying that Barca have no defense. Brazil's WC record is second to none. I'm getting sick of saying this whatever.

and i think the world and its mother would agree that spain are miles better in midfield and up front.

Go back Spain then and stfu

relax there Warper :rolleyes:

not really into betting on football tbh.

relax there Warper :rolleyes:

not really into betting on football tbh.

Apologies man, getting carried away there for a minute

Argentina would be my favourites because i think maradona will be gone soon and they'll get a proper manager in .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ooh you are in so much trouble! :p (no I haven't reported you!)

mike65 wrote: »
    Ooh you are in so much trouble! :p (no I haven't reported you!)

I think I'm gonna voluntarily put myself up for barring soon - mods bar me now ye shower of c**ts:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Warper wrote: »
    Firstly Germany have no chance of winning the WC. Germany are mediocre at best and have no chance of winning the WC.

I agree with most of what you said but are you seriously counting out the Germans? Have you never watched tournament football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Firstly Germany and Portugal have no chance of winning the WC and on their day would not beat the best teams in the world. Portugal are crap, simple as, they wont even make it to the WC next year. Germany are mediocre at best and have no chance of winning the WC. Remember the WC is on in SA and no European team have won it outside out of Europe.

England are all hype. A blind man can see that Lampard and Gerrard cannot play together and Walcott is a dud. Brazil having no defense is about as plausible as when people were saying that Barca have no defense. Brazil's WC record is second to none. I'm getting sick of saying this whatever.

Seems the history of International football and major competitions seems to have passed you by. I stopped reading your post there tbh.
    Go back Spain then and stfu
    I think I'm gonna voluntarily put myself up for barring soon - mods bar me now ye shower of c**ts:pac:

Easy tiger. If the USA hadn't won me a small fortune in their last two games I would ban you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So just because nobody has done it before means that it will never happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I spent the day celebrating :) I'm still a lightweight :(

On the game, USA gave everything, absolutely everything. I would say many of those players gave their career performance BUT Spain sucked inside the 18 yards.

The reminded me of Arsenal on a bad day in some ways, over passing and a terrible final ball and then weak in defense. Some of the passing was weak and sloppy (I stopped counting the number of under-hit passes) and their lack of urgency right up to the final whistle was puzzling.

Still, USA are a much underestimated side, Soccer has really grown in the US and we have some good players. I'd be happy with a good performance against Brazil.... hey, we're in the Final ahead of Italy and Spain.....I'm already happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ramos is a disgrace to defending. An absolute disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Des wrote: »
    Ramos is a disgrace to defending. An absolute disgrace.

"Like Paul McShane on steroids."

SA v brazil tonight

just cant see another upset

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

SA v brazil tonight

We said that about the USA yesterday as well, look how that turned out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Can't see an upset happening either.

SA don't have the forward presence upfront to hold up the ball like USA had with Altidore.

Best they can hope for I think is a win on penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

SA v brazil tonight

I'll have to agree, and I can't see Brazil being complacent enough to lose tonight.

i see usa are 4/1 to win the final (betfair)

if Bradley wasn't suspended I'd be all over that but im 50-50 now

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/06/four-keys-to-stopping-spain.html

1. Clog the middle, concede the flanks

Spain’s intricate passing can befuddle any opponent, but the short-passing style of Xavi and co. is most effective through the centre of the pitch. That’s why it makes sense to tuck your full backs inside and defend more narrowly. This will make it far more difficult for Spain to work their way through into your area.

The flipside of this, of course, is that you will concede space on the wings. That’s fine. You should be able to handle their crosses. Spain do not pose much of an aerial threat, except possibly on set-pieces when guys like Gerard Pique or Sergio Ramos advance. The real danger from wide areas come from the cut-backs which find runners from midfield. That’s why it’s essential to have bodies in the middle ready to pick up any late runs into the box.

2. Defend deep and resist the temptation to press

There are various schools of thought regarding pressing but it’s generally accepted that it’s not a good idea to do it against very technical opponents. And the fact of the matter is that Spain may well be the most technical side in the world, with the guile and passing ability to break any press you throw their way.

Instead, it’s better to defend deep, denying Fernando Torres and David Villa the space behind your defenders. This will help you deal with their pace and it will also make Spain less effective on the counter-attack.

3 Take the full backs out of the game, make the central defenders work instead

Sergio Ramos and Joan Capdevila are outstanding going forward and are often Iker Casillas’ first option. They are tough to handle because they are equally adept at running at opponents as they are at picking out teammates with a pass.

Therefore, encourage your strikers to pick up the fullbacks at goal-kicks and restarts. This will force Spain to involve the central defenders (Carles Puyol and Gerard Pique or possibly Marchena or Albiol) who are simply not as technically accomplished. It will also naturally drive them towards the centre of the pitch, which you will presciently have clogged (see 1).4.

4.Be lucky

I appreciate that this one will likely be out of your control but it’s a huge part of the game. The fact of the matter is that Spain are so gifted that they can create chances against anyone, even when they’re being out-fought and out-thought. We saw it against the US, when they continued to generate dozens of goalscoring opportunities.

You just have to accept that sometimes your best laid plans can be shattered by a moment of individual genius.

some may agree,some may not
    the idea of flooding the midfield is interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

is it me or is the white guy from south africa being booed in tonights game. Say no to racism my arse

• Advertisement

pipeliner wrote: »
    is it me or is the white guy from south africa being booed in tonights game. Say no to racism my arse

:D

booooooth

my favourite player of the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Booooooth?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

:D

booooooth

my favourite player of the tournament
    Oh right!
    Im going to stick to my original idea though, more contraversal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I was shouting boo-urns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

could see another upset here, sa playing some great stuff!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    could see another upset here, sa playing some great stuff!

Id agree but dont see where the goals will come from SA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Note to Kaka. YOU ARE allowed pass. What a waste of a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

We might get our Brazil Spain game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Go on the South Africans! Big chance for them here. Great to see them putting it up to Brazil.

Is it just me or are the headwreckin horns quieter tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

We might get our Brazil Spain game yet.

i like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

SA are in with a good shout here ..they are playing well at the mo

hope we're not in for another 30 minutes of this. Very boring game.

you'd think brazil will use 1 or 2 subs by now at least :confused:

i'd like to see one bit of magic..c'mon

• Advertisement

LOLz

22/1 to score and i was just about too

cant win :pac:

syngindub wrote: »
    i'd like to see one bit of magic..c'mon

boom

theres your magic

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Doesnt look like Brazil v Spain now - great free kick from Alves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Now i'm depressed :(
    Gowan SA - still hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Some goal....keeper left that side a bit open though!!

boom

theres your magic

that was worth the wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Some free kick - feel sorry for SA though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Best thing about that goal was the 20 seconds of horn-free silence that followed

nice one for the wallet

SA manager fu'cked up badly

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the achievment by the USA team is getting much press / media coverage over there. I know it's not the world cup but even still.

Why does everyone refer to the USA Manager as the USA coach ??

Advertisement