Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa Confederations Cup 2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

This is a chnace for the USA to their class and 3-1 up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

It's on like Donkey Kong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Headshot wrote: »
    iv been keeping an eye on kaka during the this whole tourament and including the qualifiers

he must do wonders for AC Milan to justify that price of €67.2 million

he just doesnt impress me that much

He is grossly overrated to be honest.
    Drifts in and out of games alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Jesus...just got into the shower when the 2nd half was kickin off...get out and it's 2-1...who scored?!?!?! Any good?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kmart6 wrote: »
    Jesus...just got into the shower when the 2nd half was kickin off...get out and it's 2-1...who scored?!?!?! Any good?!

fabiano scored

very well taken goal

I still think usa have a 3rd goal in them but am i not brave enough to bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

iv been keeping an eye on kaka during the this whole tourament and including the qualifiers

he must do wonders for AC Milan to justify that price of €67.2 million

he just doesnt impress me that much
    He had a cracking game in the match against Egypt. He kept calm and composed when it mattered most for them as well. I thought he did well in the Italy match as well, creating a few chances for them. I honestly can't remember how he did in the other two, which is probably a bad sign.

I didn't catch the Paraguay match, it was on at some ungodly hour but he was outstanding in the Uruguay match when they won 4-0. But for him, and Julio Cesar, they probably should have lost.

I can also think of times when he's stepped up for his club and made the difference (he was top-scorer in the CL in 07 with ten goals, including crucial ones against Man U and Celtic).

There's a reason why he is considered one of the top midfielders in the world. And he does justify being one of the most expensive footballers of all-time.

fabiano scored

very well taken goal

I still think usa have a 3rd goal in them but am i not brave enough to bet
    Lol!

Gilberto shoulda done better there!

I can see Howard frustrating them for the night!

That didn't cross the line though!

Mile over the line actually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

We woz robbed!! Shades of 66'. That looks like a goal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Think it was over the line.

He punched it out and up and it struck the crossbar before going back into play.

Mile over the line actually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah no, wasn't quite a mile. A kilometer or a furlong prehaps.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Ah no, wasn't quite a mile. A kilometer or a furlong prehaps.
    Screw the metric system!!!!!!

Fair enough. It was the American line after all.

Let compromise- It was at least half a gallon over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

A mile equals half a foot in metric terms?

There ya go!

kaka did somthing :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Those ****ing horns in the crowd. Someone make them stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1 euro bet on 4-2 Brazil. 12/1 (that should ensure a USA win)

**** ya

money in the bank

thank you mike ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

got to give credit to brazil!

Alves you tit!

what a come back

delighted for my wallet, sad for usa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

ffs

USA really needs to work on its defense..!!

pissed away the game

nothing to fear for england next yr so says the bbc commentator

that's a joke right

About who? Brazil or USA

mike65 wrote: »
    About who? Brazil or USA

I think he ment brazil afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Brazil won 3-2 for the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

that's a joke right

England have one of the best teams in the world and one of the best managers. What he means is that they have a chance and that their are no overwhelming favourites at this stage which is certainly true

• Advertisement

Kaka as player of the tournament?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    England have one of the best teams in the world and one of the best managers. What he means is that they have a chance and that their are no overwhelming favourites at this stage which is certainly true

England do have a good team but their lacking quality strikers bar rooney, unless they can get owen fit and a fit ashton they'll be in trouble

Howard ftw

Jaysus

Brazil would make you sick...! wearing them ghey things around the kneck, jerseys back to front, loving jesus t shirts, golden boots, player of the tourney [kaka my a$$], bah...

!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Howard ftw

Kaka won it, he was just checking to see if he heard it right, i'd imagine.Dempsey came 3rd and Luis Fabiano 2nd.Howard won best goalkeeper and Luis Fabiano was top scorer

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Originally Posted by Headshot viewpost.gif

that's a joke right

IIRC he was talking more about Italy and Spain

• Advertisement

IIRC he was talking more about Italy and Spain

?

So england wont fear spain ?

?

Not until they go a goal down against them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Joke tbh, totally undeserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

England do have a good team but their lacking quality strikers bar rooney, unless they can get owen fit and a fit ashton they'll be in trouble

Even at that, Rooney is a quality forward but he can't offer them the goals that they. Nor do they have the player to compliment him and take the pressure of scoring off of him.

Saying that, it is their lack of a world class holding midfielder that will be their major problem. Could also affect Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

?

Defensively, England are superior to Spain in my opinion. Spain are more of a threat going forward though. Could go either way I think.

• Advertisement

Even at that, Rooney is a quality forward but he can't offer them the goals that they. Nor do they have the player to compliment him and take the pressure of scoring off of him.

Saying that, it is their lack of a world class holding midfielder that will be their major problem. Could also affect Spain.

hargreaves should be back for england so they'll be ok on that front,but I totally agree about the lack of goals
    Defensively, England are superior to Spain in my opinion. Spain are more of a threat going forward though. Could go either way I think.

draw written all over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

hargreaves should be back for england so they'll be ok on that front,but I totally agree about the lack of goals

Hargreaves has 25 starts in two years at Man United. Wouldn't count on him being there for England.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Hargreaves has 25 starts in two years at Man United. Wouldn't count on him being there for England.

we'll see

he's back in October so time will tell

Mezcita wrote: »

He makes Owen look good. Hargreaves playing in the WC next year?, almost impossible. In fact LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think Ronaldo leaving could really help England. If all Man Utd fans are to be believed on this board Rooney was the reason Ronaldo did so well there and without him I assume Rooney will have to take the mantel of goalscorer. As for holding midfielder Barry does the job fine as seen in qualification and they have without a doubt one of the two best managers there (Capello or Lippi, I'd say Lippi but it's a crap shoot). Not to mention all their players play in the one league which helped Italy last year. Goalkeeper is the only weak spot in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I think Ronaldo leaving could really help England. If all Man Utd fans are to be believed on this board Rooney was the reason Ronaldo did so well there and without him I assume Rooney will have to take the mantel of goalscorer. As for holding midfielder Barry does the job fine as seen in qualification and they have without a doubt one of the two best managers there (Capello or Lippi, I'd say Lippi but it's a crap shoot). Not to mention all their players play in the one league which helped Italy last year. Goalkeeper is the only weak spot in the team

In Robert Green, England have possibly the most underrated goalkeeper around. He has been phenomenally consistent in the last 4-5 years at least and last season in particular was outstanding for the Hammers.

Scott Carson is also a good keeper but his confidence takes a lot of knocks, especially after Croatia game and not to mention getting relegated with WBA.

David James, no matter how many world class saves he makes there is always a but about him. He can make a double save then rush out of his goal like a mad man. He will always have the air of calamity about him and to be honest at his age, he shouldn't really be considered much these days.

Joe Hart, is a very excellent prospect, one of the future greats in my opinion. His confidence looked to have taken a knock when Man City signed Given but he seems to have bounced back at the U-21's Euros and with a whole season under his belt at Birmingham will have the necessary experience to help in his career.

Scott Loach of Watford also looks quite good and will possibly get the position for the U-21 Euros final cos Hart is suspended.

And then there's also Joe Lewis of Peterborough. This lad looks exceptional and apparently over the last two years Everton, Man Utd and Liverpool have all looked at him. He is definitely one for the future.

Barry is a very good performer for England and I would select him ahead of Carrick and probably Hargreaves as well. It's no disrespect to either, it's just I think Barry is a more consistent player and seems to have a better understanding with Gerrard and Lampard than either of the two mentioned.

As for strikers, there is a definite problem for England. Defoe has never been able to reproduce his club form.

Crouch is there or there abouts but he won't score too many against top teams.

Darren Bent looks lost.

Heskey doesn't have the goals in him.

Owen as sad as it is to say looks past it.

Dean Ashton would give Owen a run for his money injury wise.

Andy Johnson? It's a possibility but I don't see Capello going for it, nor Zamora either to be honest.

Theo Walcott should be moved up front in a few years a-la Henry and will be devastating when he does but needs to work on his first touch.

Other than those it's hard to find any other top England strikers in 1st team football at the moment.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blakes day must surely come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Delighted with the tournament. Fantastically entertaining. And a good indication that next year's competition will be reminiscint of the 2002 WC in Korea.

Fixed? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but does anybody not think that this competition will slightly take away from the excitement of next years Worldcup?
    And by that I mean the likes of Spain and Brazil are gonna be 2 teams that are going to make it fairly far in the WC anyway. Plus one of the main factors of a Wordcup is seeing the new stadiums and new setup etc.
    It's obviously gonna be different because there'll be more teams involved but to me it just seems odd to have this tournament the year before.

Also, what's the deal with the weather? 2°C in the evening time? I thought Worldcups are supposed to be held in warm places!

• Advertisement
Advertisement