Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa Confederations Cup 2009

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned already but does anybody not think that this competition will slightly take away from the excitement of next years Worldcup?
    And by that I mean the likes of Spain and Brazil are gonna be 2 teams that are going to make it fairly far in the WC anyway. Plus one of the main factors of a Wordcup is seeing the new stadiums and new setup etc.
    It's obviously gonna be different because there'll be more teams involved but to me it just seems odd to have this tournament the year before.

Also, what's the deal with the weather? 2°C in the evening time? I thought Worldcups are supposed to be held in warm places!

The Confed Cups of 2001 and 2005 didn't take away from the subsequent WCs, so don't see why this time should be any different.

I think its great that they have a trial run, for everything from ticketing to transport to satellite transmission. It should help next summer run smoothly

Also specifically for WC2010 the trial run will hopefully mean the tiresome 'security question' has been laid to rest.
    If I have an hour sometime I'll hunt down the posts of the goons who guaranteed '100%' that the World Cup couldn't possibly take place in South Africa because every visitor would be butchered, or something like that.

Weather wise again its fantastic for football that'll it'll played at such a normal temperature, I'm sure most fans won't be too worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Also, what's the deal with the weather? 2°C in the evening time? I thought Worldcups are supposed to be held in warm places!

It's great for Ireland and England though. The more I think about it the more I think they'll win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

South Africa is in the southern hemisphere, and due to the tilt of Earth's rotation relative to the Sun and the ecliptic plane, summer is December 21 to March 21 and winter is June 21 to September 21. Basically, they have winter when we have summer.

Also, toilet water in the southern hemisphere moves in a clockwise direction- I read that ..... somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

mike65 wrote: »
    Sylvan Ebanks-Blakes day must surely come!

Well considering what's on offer to Capello at the moment I feel he might get himself an England cap or two this season. He was explosive in the championship for Plymouth and Wolves so if he can make the step up and do it again then I don't see a reason why he wouldn't be considered by Capello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Confed Cups of 2001 and 2005 didn't take away from the subsequent WCs, so don't see why this time should be any different
    I don't seem to remember the others been so widely covered. I might be wrong though.

As I've said, it's not a big deal, I just think it takes a bit of the gloss or the new element away from the main event by having a trial run with essentially the big teams competing.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's great for Ireland and England though. The more I think about it the more I think they'll win
    Definitely. Although when you hear "South Africa" you automatically think killer summers. It was just weird seeing people in the crowd wearing puffer jackets, hats and scarves.

South Africa is in the southern hemisphere, and due to the tilt of Earth's rotation relative to the Sun and the ecliptic plane, summer is December 21 to March 21 and winter is June 21 to September 21. Basically, they have winter when we have summer.
    That's for the climate lesson. ;):D

Also, toilet water in the southern hemisphere moves in a clockwise direction- I read that ..... somewhere!
    Most probably the Simpsons

Advertisement