Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa Confederations Cup 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Headshot wrote: »
    this tournament should be used to blood the youngsters for Italy

Definately, I'm interested to see what their under-21 team has in terms of defensive talent, as Santon and Chiellini are the only youngsters there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What did RTE mean by the constant "drone"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What did RTE mean by the constant "drone"?

Those bollickin horns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

A7X wrote: »
    Those bollickin horns

jaysus

what drone...lol

theres bleeding horns blowing since the 1st minute of the first game non stop

i guess thats the drone they are on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The only good thing I can take out of todays game is that we will definitely not have to play be embarrassed by Spain :(

• Advertisement

I fear South Africa won't be a favoured World Cup host next year, not only the "drone"y atmosphere, but there's something about it...

Anyone here planning on going, that's if we get through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ah, bitch, bitch, bitch.

God forbid you lot are exposed to a different football culture.

Have you ever watched a Russian/Ukrainian match? They also have horns like that. It's just their way of supporting the team. Obviously it doesn't piss them off, so why are you lot so upset about it? Jesus, get a life lads. If it's so bad, put it on mute.

On the tournament, first match aside, it's been pretty good. Brazil got really lucky earlier on. It was a peno and there can be no complaints there.

Egypt USA should be some match. USA did really well against Italy but the ref got it all wrong. No way was it a red in a million years. My only guess is that he thought Clark caught the Italian above or around the knee (his foot was high up). Italy did well in the second half and the third goal was absolutely sensational from Pirlo and Rossi. Two class players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What the ****? So the last time the USA play Italy they have two ****ing players sent off contentiously and are forced to turn in a "**** you" backs to the wall performance to get a point. And now, again, they are getting ****ed by the ref. Ridiculous bull****. :mad:

Gutted USA Soccerball team couldn't convert there go ahead 1st period lead into a W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I must be the only one that doesn't mind the sound of those noisy horns. I feel it adds to the atmosphere somewhat, making it seem more hostile, and even further away, in a strange, remote country, on an unknown continent in a different hemisphere.

Perhaps it'll start to grate on me after a while, as it grows on others...

Anyway, what happened to Italy's kit? It's nice, but it reminds me very much of Argentina's from EA Sports' first ever Fifa Soccer game on the Sega MegaDrive around '94/95... bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kinaldo wrote: »
    I must be the only one that doesn't mind the sound of those noisy horns..

The match tonight was the first I've watched and it was pissing me off inside 5 minutes. It's a constant drone.

I'm sure they could lower the crowd noise and up the commentators a touch , no? As it is it's on a level and very annoying.

It's like haveing someone sit beside you going "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" for 45 mins at a stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ah, bitch, bitch, bitch.

God forbid you lot are exposed to a different football culture.

Have you ever watched a Russian/Ukrainian match? They also have horns like that. It's just their way of supporting the team. Obviously it doesn't piss them off, so why are you lot so upset about it? Jesus, get a life lads. If it's so bad, put it on mute.

You sure it doesn't piss them off? I saw this post on another board from a South African:
    hahaha, prepare yourself man! Because that is the noise the soccer crowd in SA makes every single game. Why do you think soccer is not popular here in SA? Because eveybody gets so irritated with this horrible noise the crowd makes!

Believe me I know, I live in SA! I wasn't surprised to hear that noise at the SA Iraq game, but even at the Spain NZ game. Prepare to be dissapointed.

Though I must say the opening ceremony was above expectations, though the empty stadiums is a big reason for concern.

http://www.pesgaming.com/showpost.php?p=1484408&postcount=42

I don't give a f*ck what the Russians and Ukrainians do at games, it's about as pleasant on the ear as a Daniel O'Donnell concert.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The match tonight was the first I've watched and it was pissing me off inside 5 minutes. It's a constant drone.

I'm sure they could lower the crowd noise and up the commentators a touch , no? As it is it's on a level and very annoying.

It's like haveing someone sit beside you going "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" for 45 mins at a stretch.
    I find the horns at Lansdowne Road Stadium far more annoying.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I must be the only one that doesn't mind the sound of those noisy horns. I feel it adds to the atmosphere somewhat, making it seem more hostile, and even further away, in a strange, remote country, on an unknown continent in a different hemisphere.

Perhaps it'll start to grate on me after a while, as it grows on others...

Whats your favourite humming noise? Would it be mmm-mmmmm or would it be mmmm-mm? The first one there, now thats the sound of a fridge; and the second one, thats the sound of a man humming. You never hear a woman humming. I knew a woman once, but she died soon afterwards.

Whats your favourite humming noise? Would it be mmm-mmmmm or would it be mmmm-mm? The first one there, now thats the sound of a fridge; and the second one, thats the sound of a man humming. You never hear a woman humming. I knew a woman once, but she died soon afterwards.
    So are you are bothered by the fact that this noise doesn't bother me? Haha, some people... :)

You sure it doesn't piss them off?
    How about the fact that the things are so prevalent in SA football? I read somewhere it was part of their whole football culture.

Its exactly like being exposed to white noise as a form of torture! I drift in and out of it annoying me though, i start ignoring it after a while.

I find it's worse when the match is SHíTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

So are you are bothered by the fact that this noise doesn't bother me? Haha, some people... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

How about the fact that the things are so prevalent in SA football? I read somewhere it was part of their whole football culture.
    Oh you "read that somewhere" did you? Lol. So, so unbearable. I think that perhaps when they're hosting the world cup they might respect the rest of the footballing worlds' cultures and STFU with those stupid horns.

http://www.southafrica.info/2010/vuvuzela.htm

I thought I read a better one on the BBC though but can't find it.

Why should SA have to drop one of their footballing things because it makes a few Europeans unhappy? FFS, the whinging about it is getting unbearable. Get over it or don't watch, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Why should SA have to drop one of their footballing things because it makes a few Europeans unhappy? FFS, the whinging about it is getting unbearable. Get over it or don't watch, simple as.
    A few? Really?

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i saw the complaints here while i was watching the match with no sound. i was thinking "what a bunch of moaners, it can't be that bad".

Then i turned on the Italy game last night and got sick of it i just switched off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

spain v Iraq starting soon

*moans about the horns preemptively so others don't have to*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Cazorla and Mata on the wings it looks like.

****ing horns.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Jesus shut up about the horns. Other countries have different football cultures, get over it.

is the rte stream stuttering for anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

CiaranC wrote: »
    Jesus shut up about the horns. Other countries have different football cultures, get over it.
    What horns?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BZZZ BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BBBBZZZZZZZZZZZ

I'm actually finding it hilarious in a giddy kind of way.

It's ridiculous. Culture me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pedestrian start from Spain.

The good news is that, according to the BBC commentary, the drones will be with us next year, apparently its part of the authentic atmosphere according to the SA FA. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

18 minutes and no goals. Spain are overrated. ;)

Ger Canning really should just pop the question to Torres. Everytime Torres touches it he has a mini orgasm

mike65 wrote: »

The good news is that, according to the BBC commentary, the drones will be with us next year, apparently its part of the authentic atmosphere according to the SA FA. :(
    Presumably the grounds will have more fans of the actual national teams in them so it will be less prevalent

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Liam O wrote: »
    18 minutes and no goals. Spain are overrated. ;)

Ger Canning really should just pop the question to Torres. Everytime Torres touches it he has a mini orgasm

I don't think Ger Canning is even commentating....

Cant believe villa miss that

wish Iran would invade and do something to all them morons with blowers.

Iraq will get a draw here, 6.5/1 pp

Serious lack of overlapping on the left side, Ramos is not much good really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

The World Cup is just that, the WORLD cup, not the South African Authentic Atmosphere Cup. Culture or not, that drone is absolutely ridiculous, beyond a joke. Is there not something the broadcasters can do to cancel that sound?

On topic,

Spain lacking, Iraq solid at the back. Yawn.

Goalie is a disgrace

I love the horns

LOVE them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I've given up listening to the drone, and now watch matches on mute. Are you happy now, South Africa?

Great acting from the Iraqi keeper there.

I had high hopes after the Brazil-Egypt and US-Italy games. This is a disappointment.

Spain have been found out! Seriously though, horribly slow build up, they need a Gerrard/Ronaldo type driving force to give them some umph.

• Advertisement

Spain have been found out!

Yup all you have to do is not play football and you might get a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Xavi started slowly with a couple of misplaced passes:eek:

I think Spain's problem is Mata and Carzola aren't realy offering anything, which is causing Spain to try and play through Iraq. Ramos has offered move from the right than Carzola and Mata has been pretty quiet.

Iraq sitting back and defending well.

A draw would be a massive result for Iraq, even a one or two nil loss isn't that poor a result given the way the group is going.

I wonder will Spain's greater fitness make a difference towards the end of the match.

Spain have been found out! Seriously though, horribly slow build up, they need a Gerrard/Ronaldo type driving force to give them some umph.

anyone gonna lump on a draw....

i got it on mute also, **** this, absolute joke. i would order saddam hussen down there to sort them blowers out in an instant if i could bring him back

legs11 wrote: »
    outlook-not-good.jpg

legs11 wrote: »

i got it on mute also, **** this, absolute joke. i would order saddam hussen down there to sort them blowers out in an instant if i could bring him back

Ah come on now! The buzzing is no where near as bad today as in other matches.

Spain will still win this

if they get an early goal,I still see 4-5 goals for spain

Spain 2 - 0 Iraq is how it'll finish.

totally agree

Iraq are a disgrace to the tournament

Headshot wrote: »
    totally agree

Iraq are a disgrace to the tournament

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Daragh Moloney doing a decent impression of Billo with the old devil's advocate to rile up Ronnie and Razor :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement