Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

will my car last the weekend???

• 10-06-2009 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

hi guys, ive a 2002 tdi (red DI) bora. Just got it serviced and got a new filter on the turbo... its got about 93k on the clock and since i got it back from the service its struggling to start and when it does after approx 2 or 3 seconds theres a 'screetch' sound after it starts up... a mechanic that my dad uses listened to it, but didnt have a look, and said that it could be the starting motor about to go or it might need a clean. Problem is ive to drive it to my wedding down the country on thursday morning...
    i have it booked in for my own mechanic to have a quick look in the morning... my question is whether its a big job that willtake a few days and how much will it cost approx? or will it be a two hour nixer? aswell as that should i be looking at hiring a car for the weekend...

DISASTER :mad:
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭monster1

Sounds like the fuel pump might be gone, sisters pump went on her bora not too long ago,is it just start up thats the prob or is it running rough? symptoms sound the same anyway.. And what do you mean by changin the filter on the turbo?? Did you mean air filter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

hi guys, ive a 2002 tdi (red DI) bora. Just got it serviced and got a new filter on the turbo... its got about 93k on the clock and since i got it back from the service its struggling to start and when it does after approx 2 or 3 seconds theres a 'screetch' sound after it starts up... a mechanic that my dad uses listened to it, but didnt have a look, and said that it could be the starting motor about to go or it might need a clean. Problem is ive to drive it to my wedding down the country on thursday morning...
    i have it booked in for my own mechanic to have a quick look in the morning... my question is whether its a big job that willtake a few days and how much will it cost approx? or will it be a two hour nixer? aswell as that should i be looking at hiring a car for the weekend...

DISASTER :mad:
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

The screech is a common problem, my bro's car has it, along with the chugging first start of the day. Doesn't seem to affect the drivability though.

Edit: Both problems are intermittent on my brother's Bora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm no mechanic, but it sounds to me as though the starter motor is not disengaging. Add this to having trouble starting and you're probably looking at a reconditioned starter motor. It shouldn't cost the earth though, good luck with your wedding!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

yeah it was the air filter and some part of a tube that needed mending. The car drives fine once it starts and the 'screetch' happens each time i turn the key after it starts up... as i say it takes 2 or 3 secs to start whereas previously before the last service it had never had any 'screetchimg' noise or starting up issues.
    if the starter motor does need to be reconditioned can this be done in an hour or two tomorrow or am i looking at having to hire a car for the weekend?

Its not the pump so, i dont think its a big job to replace the starter..if you were to put in a new one, not sure how long it takes to recondition it, prob have to be sent off

• Advertisement

Have a look at this, might be some help. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2269482

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sounds like a fanbelt to me, but it IS almost 2 in the morning and I'm dead tired, so don't take that as gospel.

If it's the starter (and it sounds like the solenoid is sticky at the least), there are guys who do reconditioned ones on an exchange basis. I googled and came up with Myles Balfe Ltd, 24 Phibsboro rd, Dublin 7, 01 8307544. The same guy also seems to be at Red Cow, Naas rd, Clondalkin, 01 4592676. If you're in any way handy with cars you could probably fit it yourself. Mind you, you've probably got much better things to be doing on the day before your wedding - maybe better to see if your own mechanic can sort it out today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

A neighbour of mine has a Gold TDI & he had this screech at start up for 30 seconds or so from cold. We changed the fan belt tensioner but this made no difference.
    It seemed to be coming from the tensioner/alternator area or the engine, not sure what the status is with his problem now.
    OP did you open the bonnet & try to determine roughly where the screech is coming from, e.g front left hand corner (as you look at it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Its a common fault on the mk4 vw range, its not the starter motor on the way out anyway. My mk4 golf has been making that noise for the last year on cold starts up. I found out why it was happening before on google but cant seem to find it now.

Edit: Is this the noise op? ---> http://www.fallastarmedia.com/vortex/starter/starternoise.wav

If so read this http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2269482

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

hi guys, droped it down to the mechanic this morning. he just rang me and said that the starter was indeed shot and it needed replacing. he had a reconditioned one and put that in and says its fine now. 120euro for parts 60 euro for labour...havent a clue if this is expensive but i did NEED it to be done and he did stop all other work he was doing to get it done for me...

thanks for all the advice

hi guys, droped it down to the mechanic this morning. he just rang me and said that the starter was indeed shot and it needed replacing. he had a reconditioned one and put that in and says its fine now. 120euro for parts 60 euro for labour...havent a clue if this is expensive but i did NEED it to be done and he did stop all other work he was doing to get it done for me...

thanks for all the advice
    That sounds fair to me. Glad you got it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Definitely sounded like a starter issue to me - glad to hear you got it sorted. It may have just needed new parts (brushes etc) rather than replacing the unit, but at least you're motoring now.

I remember when a neighbour of ours called to my dad's garage to get his starter repaired. He'd driven 30 miles with the ignition constantly on in order to get home. Suffice to say that the starter motor was a bit worn.

Advertisement