Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space and Mouse Control

Options
  • 10-06-2009 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

So I recently got my hands on some better hardware and decided to give some of the well received games that I missed a go. First up; Dead Space.

And my God what's going on with the cursor? Even in the menu system it drags and staggers about like it's drunk and walking in treacle. In game the trend continues as I laboriously try to cajole the reticule to stand up straight and shoot a monster in the leg. I did a little googling and all I could find was one or two threads on game forums where people complained about it. Is this just a feature of the PC version or is there a way around it?

Game looks like a lot of fun but the treacle-cursor is ruining my ability to enjoy it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Try turning off v-sync. That sorted the major mouse-lag for me.

Even so when right click aiming it feels weird. Some people dont mind it but it pissed me off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

never had any problems like that.

whats your system spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You need to turn v-sync off. The screen tearing bugged me however, so I ended up leaving it turned on, and using an xbox 360 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I just returned it...if a dev is not going to bother porting a game properly and ensuring it runs ok on PC then fcuk you...ur not getting my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im pretty sure its a feature and no you can't "fix" it

I hated it at first too. It doesnt really make sense that the menu would have it too. But I got used to it after an hour of play, so Id say stick with it for a while longer.

I think the reason it was added is because its a horror game, simple as that. If it allowed easy mouse movement it would probably be like every other FPS game. The fact that it takes nearly a full second to turn around adds a bit of tension to the game.

edit: Its also on the console version too I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

V-Sync does nothing! Or maybe helped a tiny bit but it's still awful. I see where you're coming from Krieg but if it was deliberate then its a pretty ****ing piss poor decision to be honest.
    never had any problems like that.

whats your system spec?

Its a brand new laptop, so pretty good but still not great. Overall the game runs fairly smoothly, fps and load times are fine, its just the cursor that gives me problems.

I'm gonna move on to Empire Total War for now. Which I've heard has horrible stability issues so hurrah for Zillah's failed gaming adventures.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I had the same problem - mouse lagged horribly - it was unplayable.

Switched off v-sync and it was perfect. Maybe turn down all the graphics options to see if that helps isolate the problem.

If that doesn't work I don't know - update your drivers maybe, which you probably have. I guess you have patched it too.

Check out Dead Space forums - I know that's where I found the answers. It's a common problem.

Lastly, do persevere with it. It's an absolutely fantastic game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

really i dont know what the problem is with this game. the controls work fantastically on the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Get a 360 controller. The game plays a lot better with it anyway. You don't really need a mouse for the aiming also as a lot of the weapons have a huge range. Plus you'll probably spend most of your time running away from the baddies and locking yourself in a room :P

Plus the rumble is really used well in this game, which you'll be missing out on with a keyboard. The 360 controller is also supported as standard now in all "games for windows" titles.

the controls work fantastically on the pc

For you. Is it too hard to conceive that your experience is different than other people's?

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    For you. Is it too hard to conceive that your experience is different than other people's?

Maybe it's perspective. Have you played RE4 or DMC3 on the PC with a KB/M? Do, and then come back to Dead Space and marvel at how well it has been ported to the pc.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

In fairness, Dead Space works absolutely fine on the PC and I would be someone who completely hates PC games that suffer from consolitis.

You have some kind of technical issue with this game, which is annoying but probably fixable.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Krieg wrote: »
    I think the reason it was added is because its a horror game, simple as that. If it allowed easy mouse movement it would probably be like every other FPS game. The fact that it takes nearly a full second to turn around adds a bit of tension to the game.
    Thats .... well, thats ridiculous reasoning. If you want to make a game scary you do it in other ways. Frustrating your player to death is not a great way to accomplish this.

Im having the same problem. All the specs are running on low and V-sync is off. Makes walking around even a pain. 360 controller does **** all as well.

Quick update on this:

It's mouse acceleration causing it. I tried an FPS game and I knew acceleration was on straight away. I did some research and turns out Vista can force mouse acceleration on games even if it's turned off in Vista and the game. Luckily the counterstrike community (if any is going to hate mouse acceleration...) have created a registry fix that completely kills all mouse acceleration. Presto chango the mouse works fine in the FPS I was playing and it occurs to me to try Deadspace again. Also presto chango the situation is 90% improved and quite playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Vista is gay !

have created a registry fix that completely kills all mouse acceleration.

you got a link? Might help with anyone else having the issue.

Also, we play CS1.6 in work on Friday and I have to continually switch to a DELL ball mouse as my current optical mouse feels like moving through treacle in game. I'd say it's this acceleration bug in Vista that you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you could of told me that a week ago and it would have made a big difference :p im not downloading that **** again. Not until ive grown bored of Oblivion at least.

Advertisement