Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Goverment needs to BanOnline poker.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Its quiet sad really that people are deluding themselves that they can win long term at poker. I really feel sorry for them and they will certainly learn the error of there ways, i would presume that a lot of the poker players on here have lost a lot of money on online poker but yet they deny it and think they can win long term, its really sad and they are only fooling themselves while the online poker room is laughing all the way to the bank.

I will certainly not give up on my campaign to have online poker banned in this country, altough i feel online poker is not as popular as it was because people are finally getting sense that they cant win long term. As i said before its mostly young men with big echos that think they can win long term at poker, god help if they get married or have kids or have a mortagage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

lol i admire your persistence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I'm sure I'm a winner at poker. Admittedly, since I started playing I'm down a healthy 5 figures, but I was assured by the online poker rooms this was what's called a 'downswing' and was just 'variance', so I must be due a good run. I recently sold my car and remortgaged the house and stuck all the money online. Now my kids wont be able to eat for a while, but I'm due a good run, so they wont care about going hungry for now given the vast riches that await them soon, frankly I'd be a bad parent to deprive them of that, law of averages says I have to win big soon!

Its quiet sad really that people are deluding themselves that they can win long term at poker. I really feel sorry for them and they will certainly learn the error of there ways, i would presume that a lot of the poker players on here have lost a lot of money on online poker but yet they deny it and think they can win long term, its really sad and they are only fooling themselves while the online poker room is laughing all the way to the bank.

OK I call BS. I have spoken to Spectre and he has asked me not to make accusations of a specific nature and so I shall not but you are 100% not interested in debating this issue, you just want to start an argument.

You have failed to address any points put to you, even after I, in particular, have gone to great lengths to answer yours.

I am officially done with this thread until you respond to my earlier posts with a counter argument of your own beyond re-asserting your ideas without giving any real evidence whatsoever.

• Advertisement

As i said before its mostly young men with big echos that think they can win long term at poker, god help if they get married or have kids or have a mortagage.

I have a massive echo...echo...echo...echo...echo...echo...echo...

To all the poker players here, here is a question?
    Do you think if you went into a bank for a mortgage that the bank would give you one if you told them you were a online poker player?
    You could be there arguing all you wanted that it is not gambling but you certainly would not be getting that mortgage:D

Oh and by the way since the credit crunch has hit and this is to all the poker players in here, the bank will not give a mortgage or even a car loan to anybody that has put money into a online poker or online bookie site in the previous year. Now what does that tell you? Thats right the bank knows that you are a huge risk if you play online poker, so to all the poker players keep deluding yeselves away but dont think ye will be getting a mortgage anytime soon.

Do you think if you went into a bank for a mortgage that the bank would give you one if you told them you were a online poker player?
    You could be there arguing all you wanted that it is not gambling but you certainly would not be getting that mortgage:D

Oh and by the way since the credit crunch has hit and this is to all the poker players in here, the bank will not give a mortgage or even a car loan to anybody that has put money into a online poker or online bookie site in the previous year. Now what does that tell you? Thats right the bank knows that you are a huge risk if you play online poker, so to all the poker players keep deluding yeselves away but dont think ye will be getting a mortgage anytime soon.

Still dodging the question.

EDIT: Also, LOL at naming the Irish banking sector as some sort of moral compass.

Still dodging the question.

Lets see you go into a Bank looking for a loan and arguing that poker is a skill and not gambling. The person would be laughed out of it by the bank manager.

Lets see you go into a Bank looking for a loan and arguing that poker is a skill and not gambling. The person would be laughed out of it by the bank manager.

So would someone trying to open a small business or re-mortgage their home if they were a building contractor. I was unaware that the bank's stupidity was somehow a point in this issue.

Oh, and you are STILL dodging the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

Whatever about the argument the above statement is true, it was in the Irish Indepentent i think (cant find a link:o) they were saying that this will really hit home in the next few years because the demographics are mostly young single men who will be settling down and wanting a mortgage pretty soon. And here was I wanting a loan to go to wsop next year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

You wont need a loan, you make 200 a day playing on-line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Yeah I lost like a grand on it over the space of a year a while ago but thankfully I was just able to stop which I know not everybody can do because it is really addictive. That said I regularly play live poker and have no problems so it's an interesting issue as they appear to have different tracts of addiction.

Banning it isn't the answer, I think that's too extreme, but I would agree that some people do get sucked into it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

The simple answer is yes. I'm not going to bother explaining to you how someone who is self employed goes about proving their income in order to prove they can have the ability to repay because frankly you don't care, but professional Poker players, who might be seeking a mortgage, are not degenerate gamblers with no records or people who belong to the sub-set of internet users who start threads merely to get reactions and to feed their constant need for attention, even if they are talented at that pastime and manage to rack up an impressive 200 post thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

patmac wrote: »
    George Bush Jnr used to be an alcholic , drug taker and he turned out all right.

You what!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This'll give you an insight into the mind of trailerparkboy, from another thread:
    lets see:
    Food:120 per month
    Rent: 76 per month
    drink/pub: 500 per month
    Internet: 25 per month

Yep it's a man who spends four times as much on drink as he does on food each month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

This'll give you an insight into the mind of trailerparkboy, from another thread:

Yep it's a man who spends four times as much on drink as he does on food each month :)

Good point. Lets ban drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

the op makes a valid point

poker is a no skill gamble which only destroys lives

On another topic op ,

What ever happened to your plan to play poker online professionaly ?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055457969

Ste05 wrote: »
    The simple answer is yes. I'm not going to bother explaining to you how someone who is self employed goes about proving their income in order to prove they can have the ability to repay because frankly you don't care, but professional Poker players, who might be seeking a mortgage, are not degenerate gamblers with no records or people who belong to the sub-set of internet users who start threads merely to get reactions and to feed their constant need for attention, even if they are talented at that pastime and manage to rack up an impressive 200 post thread.

I really have heard it all now. Yot think you can go into a bank and get a mortgage if u play poker or gamble?:D:D:D The bank have in the last year put in new guidlines whereby they check back on your debit and credit card history and if you have deposited into a online poker or Bookie site in the last few years, thats it no mortgage for you, you will be laughed outa the bank.

• Advertisement

I really have heard it all now. Yot think you can go into a bank and get a mortgage if u play poker or gamble?:D:D:D The bank have in the last year put in new guidlines whereby they check back on your debit and credit card history and if you have deposited into a online poker or Bookie site in the last few years, thats it no mortgage for you, you will be laughed outa the bank.

Well you will be anyway. Large deposits and no withdrawals.

Plus they'll probably want you to be able to spell your name on the form..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ha ha now that's funny. Almost as funny as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The bank have in the last year put in new guidlines whereby they check back on your debit and credit card history and if you have deposited into a online poker or Bookie site in the last few years, thats it no mortgage for you, you will be laughed outa the bank.
    I'm going to need some evidence for that. Linking to the new guidelines would be best. Quoting from the new guidelines might be acceptable. In the absence of either, it's completely unsubstantiated.

sceptre wrote: »
    I'm going to need some evidence for that. Linking to the new guidelines would be best. Quoting from the new guidelines might be acceptable. In the absence of either, it's completely unsubstantiated.

To be fair he is the right on this one.

But it's about all online gambling , and not just poker.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0304/presswatch.html

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0304/presswatch.html

Yes indeed thats the link, now id love to see some of the poker players go to there bank and argue that poker is a skill and not gambling, id love to see how far they would get.

Ste05 wrote: »

Thats not what the banks think, they will think degenerate gamblers of anyone who has regular amounts going to online poker or Bookie sites. So it wouls appear my dear man that the simple answer is no yo wont get a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Thats not what the banks think, they will think degenerate gamblers of anyone who has regular amounts going to online poker or Bookie sites. So it wouls appear my dear man that the simple answer is no yo wont get a mortgage.

Please be quiet.
    Your a hypocritical alcoholic. If something is "bad" you don't just ban it, you inform people of the dangers and possibly regulate it. You sould concentrate on regulating your drinking instead of taking on the online irish gambling community.

€500 a month? 25 pints a week..?

You sound like an American; like a moron.

Are those the same banks who lost all their money on dogey financial dealings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The trouble is that that link says nothing about debit or credit cards, which you mentioned, though it mentions current accounts.

It says that banks are looking for any excuse to refuse a mortgage and this is one of their criteria but doesn't say that you're automatically laughed out of the bank if you've deposited in the last few years, which you stated, though it does mention regular payments as a possible factor (it actually states explicitly that it doesn't mean an automatic refusal, which is not what you said at all).

Still, what the report actually states is hardly surprising.

Anyone got anything new?

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote: »
    The trouble is that that link says nothing about debit or credit cards, which you mentioned, though it mentions current accounts.

It says that banks are looking for any excuse to refuse a mortgage and this is one of their criteria but doesn't say that you're automatically laughed out of the bank if you've deposited in the last few years, which you stated, though it does mention regular payments as a possible factor (it actually states explicitly that it doesn't mean an automatic refusal, which is not what you said at all).

Still, what the report actually states is hardly surprising.

Anyone got anything new?

That was it afaik.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement