Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My plan...please read

Options
  • 10-06-2009 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi

Im just MCSA certified plus Security+ as part of this. Im on Level 1 and hoping to move to another company as no opportunities in current company.

I also hope to finish Exchange MCP and MCP 70-299 Security in a Windows 2003 Network plus Linux + pre November.Then maybe upgrade exam to 2008.

I would really appreciate some advice on the following:

1 With Exchange and also Security mcp plus linux + from a cert point of view how will my cv look?
    2 Would it be worth getting some work experience for cv?
    3 Will I leave in/out a primary degree(non IT) some people look for this but those that do not do I leave out?
    4 With certs how am I fixed to move?Moving with economy as it is maybe risky?

What do ye think of sending out cv and doing a few interviews if they come up? I do not want to burn my bridges either with companies if I do not decide to move but could do with experience not worried about recruitment companies.

Thanks a mill,
    Noel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

noel123ie wrote: »
    1 With Exchange and also Security mcp plus linux + from a cert point of view how will my cv look?
    2 Would it be worth getting some work experience for cv?
    3 Will I leave in/out a primary degree(non IT) some people look for this but those that do not do I leave out?
    4 With certs how am I fixed to move?Moving with economy as it is maybe risky?

1.Exchange 2003 is completely different to 2007 I have the MCP in 2003 it can help you get in the door and does look good on your CV.

2. You have to get work experience more than a year before I'd even ask a person for interview. but its important that you write in what you have experience with ie.. 2003 server, 2008 server, applications.

3. Always put in your degree you worked hard enough for it. It may not prove that you have IT skills but it proves you are dedicated to a goal.

4. The economy at the moment is terrible but there's always jobs out there. You have to take a risk if you want more money. Recruitment agencies are the devil if you work with them expect them to waste your time. Demand the name of the company your going to, google them find out if they are in trouble. Tweet ask questions about them just to be sure. If no ones heard of them think twice but going for an interview isnt like sleeping with your best mates sister. Its just a date/meeting to see if your compatible :)

5. Keep going forward with education, dont get left behind if you need help.. Ask :)

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Jaoibh wrote: »
    1.Exchange 2003 is completely different to 2007 I have the MCP in 2003 it can help you get in the door and does look good on your CV.

2. You have to get work experience more than a year before I'd even ask a person for interview. but its important that you write in what you have experience with ie.. 2003 server, 2008 server, applications.

3. Always put in your degree you worked hard enough for it. It may not prove that you have IT skills but it proves you are dedicated to a goal.

4. The economy at the moment is terrible but there's always jobs out there. You have to take a risk if you want more money. Recruitment agencies are the devil if you work with them expect them to waste your time. Demand the name of the company your going to, google them find out if they are in trouble. Tweet ask questions about them just to be sure. If no ones heard of them think twice but going for an interview isnt like sleeping with your best mates sister. Its just a date/meeting to see if your compatible :)

5. Keep going forward with education, dont get left behind if you need help.. Ask :)

Dave

Cheers Dave very helpful

Noel

Advertisement