Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

opinions please

• 10-06-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/910786

After several false starts, this looks like it could be the one for me and yer man sounds good.

No history though

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Has he proof that the TB & water pump were done at 100k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Did that thing take a thump to the front. Maybe the pictures arent great but the wings look a different colour and whats the story with the awful motor factors metal reg plate? ACHTUNG!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Anan1 wrote: »
    Has he proof that the TB & water pump were done at 100k?

Remains to be seen. I think it's priced okay for a car with no history but I will try to draw blood if there really are no records at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If there are no records then you'll at least have to budget for an immediate full service, TB, tensioners, & water pump. To be honest, without any service history i'd walk away.

Edit: Have a look at this one: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1417388. It looks like an import, it has km clocks and doesn't have the VAG stereo which came as standard here. It does have a/c, though. Hard to tell from the pics, but looks like it might be worth a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Did that thing take a thump to the front. Maybe the pictures arent great but the wings look a different colour and whats the story with the awful motor factors metal reg plate? ACHTUNG!!!

Honestly, I don't know how people can look at a photo that small on the Internet and assume bodywork has been done. The only correct way to tell is to examine the car in the flesh IMO.

• Advertisement

Honestly, I don't know how people can look at a photo that small on the Internet and assume bodywork has been done. The only correct way to tell is to examine the car in the flesh IMO.

I didnt assume anything, just an observation. The quote "Maybe the pictures arent great " kinda set that straight. But there is also the bad line around where the bonnet / Wing / headlamp meets on the drivers side plus metal motor factor plates would always make me cagey that some repair of sorts has been done. Tricks of the trade ....

Saab Ed wrote: »
    metal motor factor plates would always make me cagey that some repair of sorts has been done. Tricks of the trade ....

They're the same plates the company I used to work for put on new cars.

I'm sure they are but did'nt you ever hear anybody ask the question why a car has thoses crappy motor factor plates on them. Unless its a private import that someone got the plates made up for themselves its always a red flag to me...

Honestly ... no. I wouldn't turn a blind eye to a car because of the machine and method used to make it's numberplates.

...and they'll be shown the bin if I buy it:D

• Advertisement

Drove it and it seems generally clean and solid. Taxed for three months. The guy was A1 and it seems to be going strong. I thought it would have been quicker but it definitely seems healthy and torquey. It wouldn't beat my 193bhp A6 quattro. I thought it should have felt comparable enough considering how much heavier the A6 is compared to the Golf.

There was also;

Might be my ignorance but I noticed a slight jerkiness/ hesitation when feathering the throttle. I don't know if it's alright because it might be a turbo engine thing. He's certainly believes that it's running 100%. He seems genuinely certain that aside from the obvious service items, it'll pass any health check.

Wipers switch on for about 10 seconds every time you switch the engine on.

Possibility that records for the TB can be located but he takes the point that it's against the car if they can't be found.

Due a service and will need rear discs.

Runs slightly cool when driving. Otherwise seems to heat and cool fine and the fan turns on and off. It doesn't go above 90 degrees.

Evidence of body work on the pass. door and quarter panel. A good standard- the colour is okay but it may need to be flatted and polished and then...

...needs a full valet.

A neat tear on the drivers seat bolster. Looks easy enough to fix- no frayed edges etc I have no idea what it might cost to fix...

In a non-nasty way he told me that if it doesn't sell, he will take care of the service next week and keep it so it's the asking price or bust...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cantdecide wrote: »
    I thought it would have been quicker but it definitely seems healthy and torquey. It wouldn't beat my 193bhp A6 quattro.

Well it's only 150BHP.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    it's the asking price or bust...

The asking price is fair if the car is perfect. It is far from perfect. Golf IV GTIs are overpriced and overrated anyway. Plenty of other fish in the sea...

Advertisement