Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic method for killing weeds?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm currently laying some land drainage in my back garden to stop it turning into a swamp. I have removed about 60 meters of sod from narrow trenches (now the soil isn't very good quality and there’s yellow clay about 15 cms down).

What I wondering is would it be possible to bag all this sod for a month or so, will this kill the weeds and allow me to reuse it? I have blue plastic rubble sacks which I hope will be suitable.

There's a picture of what I've got to work with attached.

I'd like to use this soil to seed new grass in the front and a patch of the back garden. I'm going to use raised beds for all other planting.

If anyone had any other suggestions I'd greatly appreciate them. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GetGrowing

It'll take more than a month to kill off weeds by excluding light. I'd recommend laying the sods again when you're ready and then simply seeding into them if it's going to be lawn. Constant cutting of lawn grass will kill most weeds fairly quickly. For the raised beds you could lay the sods and then cover with a light excluding mulch (e.g. black plastic) until next spring. Most weeds will be dead by then and you'll have good soil to plant into. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Thanks for the Advice. I'll need some new soil for the raised beds so will use the sod for the front and back lawn areas.

Hopefully I can post some pictures of the work as soon as I get the drainage in place.

Thanks again.

Advertisement