Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Galway Massive price cuts

Options
  • 10-06-2009 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

just finished my online shopping and the price cuts at tesco galway are HUGE!! they really are in line with uk prices, and theres a lot more stock of tesco own brand and value products that havent been here before.

as i said i did online shopping, there could possibly be even more in store, i have seen cars sign written with "tesco change" on them, and there really is a considerable change some items are reduced as much as €4/3 euro.

not before time and just goes too show how much supermarkets do mark things up in ireland.
    happy shopping guys hope everyone saves a few quid:)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A shiny penny to the misguided wazzock who'll appear bitching that they can get wind dried puffin cheaper in Rekjavik or whale meat burgers cheaper in Osaka than in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

Robbo wrote: »
    A shiny penny to the misguided wazzock who'll appear bitching that they can get wind dried puffin cheaper in Rekjavik or whale meat burgers cheaper in Osaka than in Tesco.

Plain English is a lost commodity to you then Robbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

How much will be the drink be?

Most common response to this news I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Some good savings alright, but by no means in line with UK prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Nah Robbo, Tesco's Value range of dried puffin loins are just as good as any of the stuff you get in Rekjavik tbh. But I won't go anywhere but McDonaghs for my whaleburgers ("but they're not fish!" I hear you cry).

This is good news, I hope that the price cuts are permanent and "honest" (i.e. that they didn't just invent a carefully tailored shopping basket that highlights the cuts while the things that people actually buy are as expensive as ever).

And I always found the selection of beer in Tesco to be pretty crap so I hope they fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was there earlier. Gigantic media gimmick
    No massive price cuts but a good portion of stuff is reduced and a number of new products introduced bringing it in line with Lidl/Aldi pricing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

toiletduck wrote: »
    How much will be the drink be?

Most common response to this news I'm sure.

I'll see your drink price & raise you a "they've shafted Irish suppliers" response.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Was there earlier. Gigantic media gimmick
    No massive price cuts but a good portion of stuff is reduced and a number of new products introduced bringing it in line with Lidl/Aldi pricing imo

as gimmicks go, that seems a fairly good one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

big b wrote: »
    as gimmicks go, that seems a fairly good one

Isn't it?
    They should have been able to match Lidl/Aldi on pricing long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Tesco Galway is still a cramped, badly run, pikey infested kip. The trolleys have wobbly wheels, theres never any soya milk and the range of Indian meals-in-a-bag is rubbish.

Claremorris FTW boyos.

(I try and shoplift 10% of my weekly groceries in an effort to keep the cost down.) Interceptor, making shopping lighter on your wallet, but heavier on your pocket.

'cptr

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Isn't it?
    They should have been able to match Lidl/Aldi on pricing long ago

They weren't trying to long ago. That wasn't what their customer base was looking for.
    Now it is, and they've reacted.

I suppose for every person who's happy prices have come down, there'll be another grinding their teeth that the previous price was higher.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They can start giving it away for free I still wouldn't buy the muck they pass off as own brand.

Quality over quantity people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Just saw a Tesco van driving by me (residential area) blaring out a recorded message about the new price cuts...like those election cars that used to go around promoting politicians....at least someone has a job..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Obviously I'm eating the wrong things. I just did my shopping online and noticed no difference in my bill. There's 10c off here and there but over all it made no difference to me.
    There's some new stock but some old stock is missing too.Come back low fat HB icecream!Life won't be the same without you. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Claremorris Tesco was mentioned earlier in this thread. That branch and the other Mayo ones were closed for the last 2 days for further shelf re-organisation and to introduce further new lines of product. They're claiming big permanent reductions and indeed there seem to be.

I don't know if they've done this in Galway yet or if they're gradually making changes from the border southwards.

3 items I bought this pm in Claremorris:

Tesco Reactive Deo roll on, was 1.45, now 1.09
    8 Mach3 Turbo blades, no old price quoted, now 12.09
    Tesco Chilean Chardonnay, was 6.19, now 5.19

That's the best price I've seen for those blades, apart from ebay, since Islington street market in London about 3 years ago!

None of these are marked as special offers -looks like the normal price from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

Tesco Galway is still a cramped, badly run, pikey infested kip.

lol, You are so right about it being pikey infested ..... Everytime..... everytime :D !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Well, yeah.. It's a little cheaper now, however it still dazzles my eyes when I see frozen food with £2 printed on the bag, and €3.75 price ticket below..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Well, yeah.. It's a little cheaper now, however it still dazzles my eyes when I see frozen food with £2 printed on the bag, and €3.75 price ticket below..

Some things are more expensive, twin pack of Coke Zero was reduced to €3.49 on sunday, back to €3.99 yesterday.

Advertisement