Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtualisation - OS licensing question

• 10-06-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the best place ofr this thread, feel free to move it.

I’m hoping to run a virtual machine (using Microsoft virtual PC) on a couple of workstations where i work. My question is relating to licensing. We want to remain compliant. I've spoken to our Microsoft contact and by the look of it my only option is to upgrade the host pc to vista enterprise. this will entitle us to install a virtual machine using any version of windows on that same machine(using that same license). I’m hoping to avoid upgrading the workstations to vista if I can avoid it.

Windows 2000 or XP will work fine for me in this virtual box, obviously Microsoft wont sell me 2000 or XP anymore, have I any alternative where I can source a valid licensed copy of XP or 2000 for this intended use. Is there a second hand source where I could get valid copies of old operating systems. I dont want to use the likes of Ebay and most probably end up with pirated software.

Would we remain compliant in this case or is it dodgy.

thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to windows, you might have get a better response. I'll leave a redirect in S&S.

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I remember a while back I read an article on this..
    Digressing further – you may wonder how I get away with all these “different” copies of XP? Well, I think this is legal so I will explain. Virtual PC has a thing called a Differencing Disk. It works like this. You create a base virtual machine and load your one licensed copy of XP on it and activate it. Then you configure another virtual machine as a Differencing Disk off of the base virtual machine. You can then customize the differencing instance as much as you like without changing the base disk in any way. Need to set up a second special instance? Just create a new differencing disk and customize it for the new client. You can effectively set up the same XP instance a dozen different ways. So long as I don’t use more than one instance at a time I’m pretty sure it’s legal. The nice thing is that when you’re done with a differencing disk – like you tried some new software and decided you really don’t want it – you just delete the disk and set up a new one. Nice and clean. You never have to reinstall XP again. Great stuff.

From here.

This guy uses it for setting up complex connections when visiting clients networks. One instance of XP per client. That way he doesn't have to reconfigure each time.

I'm not sure but I think you may need two legal copies. One for the main host computer and one for virtual pc. Then within Virual PC you can create as many instances from that license as you like.

The only problem with this is the fact that its a Virtual PC feature, i'm not sure if VMware have an equivalent. I started off using Virtual PC but then moved on to VMware. Its streets ahead IMHO!

Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

thanks for your reply tech guy.

some of the technical detail there is lost on me but i dont think it quite suits how I want to use it anyway.

primarily I need to install a virtual pc on one client pc. i.e. he is running win XP on his computer and I need another virtual pc on that running W2K or XP. Microsoft want me to upgrade the host PC to vista Enterprise so that I can download and use older versions of windows under that license.

I would prefer to obtain a copy of licensed Xp or 2000 which I know will suit my purpose. its just a matter of where I could get this? That would mean i dont have to upgrade the host pc. If this works well 9I know it should) I'll roll it out to two or three different terminals around the factory

( I'm presuming I would be compliant in this setup!?)

The solution I mentioned would suit you fine..

Just buy something like this for each PC and you'll be laughing..it's a tad expensive but if its only a few pcs you need to do it on then it would probably be cheaper than enterprise Vista.

You could also look at getting a group license for 10-15 computers, might work out better value. Check with MS..

http://www.dabs.ie/products/microsoft-windows-xp-professional-w-sp3---licence-and-media---1-pc---oem---cd-54SW.html?q=xp

Your welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

aahaa:)

I thought I couldnt buy a copy of XP anymore? the licensing person I spoke to at Microsoft definetly didnt mention that anyway!

I dont think I'll need to use the differencing disk options will I, as there will only ever be one virtual PC, per host PC, and only one person using it at a time obviously.

The fact that that link is an OEM license, this means I can only install and activate it on one particular pc. If for example the user manages to corrupt his installation, would I have any hassle reinstalling and reactivating do you think?

140yoyos each would be fine though.

thanks again for your help

• Advertisement

I thought I couldnt buy a copy of XP anymore? the licensing person I spoke to at Microsoft definetly didnt mention that anyway!

Thats why they're often referred to as Micro$oft :D
    aahaa:)
    The fact that that link is an OEM license, this means I can only install and activate it on one particular pc. If for example the user manages to corrupt his installation, would I have any hassle reinstalling and reactivating do you think?

No, pretty sure you can re-install as many times as you like and on any machine you like as long as its only installed on one machine at any given time.

From Wikipedia
    There are two types of OEM when it comes to operating systems. The first is when a pre-built computer is purchased, there is an OEM disk that comes with the system, which can not be transferred to another one, because that disk is designed to run only with the specific system components. The second type of OEM operating system is one that can be transferred to any other system, without the dependence on the components.

Obviously you can't take this as gospel because it's from wikipedia ;)
    140yoyos each would be fine though.
    You may get it for a little cheaper if you buy a license for whatever number pcs you have and just get one disk directly from MS.
    thanks again for your help

No prob, it's about time a thread came around that I had enough knowledge to help out..:)

Advertisement