Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugot 407 from the North

• 10-06-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am considering buying a Peugot 407 from the North.

I have a budget of €9000 incl VRT.

Could anyone recommend a better car for the same money? I am really not a motor head. I just saved up enough money to import a car for this price.

Anyone have any bad experience with a Peugot 407?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

No, they are a good car and will serve you well.
    Do all the usual checks tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

What year 407 and spec are you looking for? I cant imagine they would be cheaper up North given that Peugeot knocked 10 grand off the price of a new one a few months ago and it had a huge knock on effect on used ones down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Deedsie wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a better car for the same money? =

Yup, Ford Mondeo:D

More reliable, better to drive and the TDCi's are great in them. Try and get a 130 brake 2 litre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP did you shop around down here first. Don't assume you will automatically save alot of money at the moment by buying in NI.

With the depressed used car market down here, heavy depreciation on the 407 and stronger currency exchange you may not be saving as much as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

EPM wrote: »

More reliable, better to drive and the TDCi's are great in them. Try and get a 130 brake 2 litre

Ford diesel engine and "great" in the same sentence is over stating things a bit, but the Mondeo is good. I like the 407 too though, apparently has nice handling, but I've never driven one so can't comment with any conviction. I'd rather the Peugeot diesels, leagues ahead of Fords, but I'd rather Ford's electrics.

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    Ford diesel engine and "great" in the same sentence is over stating things a bit, but the Mondeo is good. I like the 407 too though, apparently has nice handling, but I've never driven one so can't comment with any conviction. I'd rather the Peugeot diesels, leagues ahead of Fords, but I'd rather Ford's electrics.

But Ford and Peugeot engines are one of the same !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hey lads, i really appreciate all the replies there. wasnt expecting as good a response.

I just had a look at carzone and i saw they were actually cheaper in the south when you incl VRT on the northern cars. That make things alot handier.

I dont have my heart set on any particular car, truth be told i liked the look of the peugot and its in my price range.

Id like a Diesel if i could get one. Always had petrol so far. Anything above 1.6

High Spec 2.0 Turbo Diesel 407 is a fantastic car.

http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1335858

^^^^^ I'd say you could do alot better than that price for example but as a previous poster said have a look at a Mondeo

http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1354041

They are super cars and good value..

Or the same car in Uglier clothing but my God is it comfy

http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1413064

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Google PSA/Ford Then come back to us....tut tut..

Lads, was half expecting replies like that. Go look under the hood of a Mondeo with the TDDI engine and tell me Peugeot had anything to do with that ball of muck.
    Not all Mondeo diesels are PSA sourced! Hence my statement "Ford diesel engine". They also have a 1.8 in the Focus, which is also shyte - especially when compared to the 1.6 PSA one!

• Advertisement

Sorry Biro I have to argue with you there. Yes the 2.0 TDDI is an older Ford design but its a not exactly a ball of muck. Its not the fastest TD around but its great on juice , lasts forvever and a day and in 130 bhp its even (dare I say it ) quick. I've seen these with inter galactic mileage on board and they dont give the sort of problems you see with other similar sized diesels i.e fuel rails, turbos, injectors etc. As regards Peugeot diesels being better than Fords, havent Ford just ditched the 1.6 TDCI PSA engine in the Focus due to on going relaibility issues in favour of the 1.8? That PSA 1.6 isnt bad but its no legend like the old PSA XUD... now that was an engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Saab Ed wrote: »
    but its no legend like the old PSA XUD... now that was an engine.
    :D

Sorry Biro I have to argue with you there. Yes the 2.0 TDDI is an older Ford design but its a not exactly a ball of muck. Its not the fastest TD around but its great on juice , lasts forvever and a day and in 130 bhp its even (dare I say it ) quick. I've seen these with inter galactic mileage on board and they dont give the sort of problems you see with other similar sized diesels i.e fuel rails, turbos, injectors etc. As regards Peugeot diesels being better than Fords, havent Ford just ditched the 1.6 TDCI PSA engine in the Focus due to on going relaibility issues in favour of the 1.8? That PSA 1.6 isnt bad but its no legend like the old PSA XUD... now that was an engine.

I hear your defense arguement but respectfully disagree! Everyone on here (including me) blasts the old VW 1.9 engine for being rough, tractor-like and old. But compared to that 2 litre in the Ford it's more refined (I feel a little ill referring to the VAG 1.9 as refined!), more frugal, and can last just as long (provided the electrics haven't destroyed the rest of the car!) and actually is torquier than Fords effort, which in 90bhp guise sounds like a bag of nails being tortured now!
    Ah the good old days of Peugeot king engines! The 405 rocked in its day!

Edit - Still waiting on the apology for the comments on the Ford/PSA things! No harm if 3 people removed their thanks either! :D

So theres your answer OP ...Buy one of these

405-diesel.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Edit - Still waiting on the apology for the comments on the Ford/PSA things! No harm if 3 people removed their thanks either! :D

I wasn't referring to the TDDi because the budget will get the OP a TDCi:p

I will however agree with you about the 1.9 TDi being more refined than the TDDi if it makes you feel better:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Being honest, I dont think you can even buy a TDDi engine in any Ford model anymore, so it kinda throws that argument out the window. They're all TDCi engines, which are shared mostly with Peugeot (and Citroen/Volvo).

And as far as i'm being made aware of from Ford, the 1.6TDCi engine will be back available. I think it was more of a production problem rather than a reliability issue.

Anyhow, back OT, isnt it interesting to see how the OP automatically assumed it would be cheaper to go up North? Seems to be the done thing these days.

BTW, the 407 is a decent car, it would be a good buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

A thing to consider about NI cars is the amount of WASHED ACIDIC diesel in the fuel marketplace in NI which can affect systems in cars. I've had a nasty expensive story to tell about it.
    If you absolutely have to get a car from the sterling zone, go across the water to the mainland UK.

The 1.6 TDCi in the Focus was dropped here mainly because since the VRT switch to Co2 emmisons the 1.6 TDCi would probably have cost around the same price or less as the 1.4 litre petrol version post July 2008. Ford would then be stuck will volumes of unsold 1.4 litre petrol models. I don't think there is any supply issue in the UK either where the 1.6 TDCi has continued to be sold.

Mazda or Volvo don't have any issues with supplying the same 1.6 diesel either. Neither do Peugeot or Citroen. Also the 1.8 TDCi in the Focus originates back to the Sierra afaik, though it has been heavily modified (different turbo, common rail injectors, etc) over the years.

Anyway back on topic.

I wasn't referring to the TDDi because the budget will get the OP a TDCi:p

I will however agree with you about the 1.9 TDi being more refined than the TDDi if it makes you feel better:D

It does... just a little bit... :p

High Spec 2.0 Turbo Diesel 407 is a fantastic car.

http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1335858

^^^^^ I'd say you could do alot better than that price for example4[/url]

I was thinking of offering €9000 for this vehicle. Do you think id have any hope of getting it at that price? I cant afford to go above that price anyway.

But id def be interested if i could get the seller down to that price.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of offering €9000 for this vehicle. Do you think id have any hope of getting it at that price? I cant afford to go above that price anyway.

Given that the 407 1.6 HDi is more popular than the 2.0 HDi I think you have every chance of driving away in that car for €9k. I suppose it really depends how good you are at bargining, might be worth making an intitial slightly lower offer than you are prepared to pay as see what they have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I've got a 04 1.6 hdi 407 with 76k (bought it with 58k)...:)
    The 1.6 hdi (110bhp) 407 has plenty of power for a 1.6 and i'm getting
    630-650 mls to a tank of diesel...which averages between 48-54 mpg.
    The 407's are a solid,safe and well kitted car....but these are things to look
    out for......:eek:

1)Lower balljoints are quite a common failure ...:( ....every30-40k
    2)Both 1.6-20 hdi engines have diesel partical filters fitted and will need
    replacment around 100k....That also goes for most modern diesels today .......:rolleyes:
    3)The Dual mass flywheel can also give trouble @ around 100k on the 1.6 hdi's....but again the give trouble on V.W.....Toyota...Ford.....:rolleyes:

If you go for a 407 diesel with around 100k ask if the above have been
    replaced....;)
    You can also join here for free as it will let you know all about the 407....:)
    http://www.407owners.com/forums/
    Row

The 1.6 hdi is 110bhp and the 20hdi is 136bhp....also the 1.6 hdi (as above)averages around 48-54 mpg and the 20 hdi averages 39-44 mpg...but then
    the 20 hdi has more power with a 6 speed box...:cool:

I'd offer 8 not 9 grand...all he can say is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

The 2litre diesel in the Peugeot is far more refined than the Mondeo much less agricultural sounding than the gruff Mondeo lump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Row wrote: »

1)Lower balljoints are quite a common failure ...:( ....every30-40k
    2)Both 1.6-20 hdi engines have diesel partical filters fitted and will need
    replacment around 100k....That also goes for most modern diesels today .......:rolleyes:
    3)The Dual mass flywheel can also give trouble @ around 100k on the 1.6 hdi's....but again the give trouble on V.W.....Toyota...Ford.....:rolleyes:

If you go for a 407 diesel with around 100k ask if the above have been
    replaced....;)
    You can also join here for free as it will let you know all about the 407....:)
    http://www.407owners.com/forums/
    Row

I've just had a look through the history of a 407 2.0HDi that came back to us earlier this year with 202,000km on.

Apart from the balljoints and partical filter (as mentioned by Row) the only other things replaced were an EGR valve at 162k and an engine mount at 188k. Looks like the clutch never needed replacing :)

It did need the sump replacing twice though, but that's more likely the driver than any issue with the car, although might be an idea to slow for speed humps.

All that said though, I still wouldn't go near a 407 as I think the driving position is horrible and in general it feels like a big floaty barge!

Mondeo FTW.

I offered him 8950 over the email and he accepted it straight away. Feel like i should have offered 8000 first and went from there.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I have it narrowed down to a Toyota Avensis, Peugot 407 or a Mondeo.

Prob gonna be buying next week.

I offered him 8950 over the email and he accepted it straight away. Feel like i should have offered 8000 first and went from there.

quote]

told ya :D.....you still can, just get your wife/ girlfriend/anyone else to phone him

This one is alot closer to home.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/407/1.8-st/200840190228897/advert?channel=CARS

Would ye think €8000 is a fair price for that car?

• Advertisement

Its petrol!!!

A petrol 407 will not make the same price as a diesel....i'd say
    its worth around 6-7k...:eek:
    The resale value of a 407 hdi is pretty poor but the petrols are even worse..

Advertisement