Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT fair usage letter

Options
  • 10-06-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I've just received a letter from bt warning about my exceeding their fair use policy which I haven't for two months and the by so little I was only throttled for three days.My current usage is 28.4 gbs in ten days, a little high but not excessive.Is anyone else getting these letters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 murphd

I got the same one this morning. Like you i've not been throttled for a month or two. Nothing to worry about I'd guess and just BT finally clarifying officially their FUP

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

I received my letter on Monday, low and behold, I was throttled last night.

Can they not do an "Unlimited/non throttling" package??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

tony-od wrote: »
    My current usage is 28.4 gbs in ten days, a little high but not excessive.Is anyone else getting these letters

Use is calculated over the last 30 days, and not the calendar month usage reported with their online monitor. You have 28G in the last 10 days, then add whatever was in the 20 days prior to that, and you get to the number their concerned with when throttling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tony-od

jor el wrote: »
    Use is calculated over the last 30 days, and not the calendar month usage reported with their online monitor. You have 28G in the last 10 days, then add whatever was in the 20 days prior to that, and you get to the number their concerned with when throttling you.

I'm not throttled yet my usage for the previous period would have been lighter
    I monitor it fairly well since getting a 12 day throttling early last year.I'm more curious about the letter been sent when I haven't been excessive even by their low standards.Are these been lowered even more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm not throttled yet my usage for the previous period would have been lighter
    I monitor it fairly well since getting a 12 day throttling early last year.I'm more curious about the letter been sent when I haven't been excessive even by their low standards.Are these been lowered even more?

They may feel that at your current rate you would exceed the cap if it continues, and hence the warning. Also, what package are you on, as the cap varies between 10-80GB depending on what you have.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    They may feel that at your current rate you would exceed the cap if it continues, and hence the warning. Also, what package are you on, as the cap varies between 10-80GB depending on what you have.

I'm on option 3 the allegedly unlimited option.I feel that for them to have taken the time to write about something that that they did without warning in the past that some change in the T & Cs is in the offing

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I got one of these today and the interesting thing is that I've kept myself under 80Gigs per 30 days for the last six months at least???
    Oh and I've never been throttled either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I got one of these today and the interesting thing is that I've kept myself under 80Gigs per 30 days for the last six months at least???
    Oh and I've never been throttled either!

Well then I guess that's why is a warning... my guess is that they are warning people and asking then to control themselves but not throttling yet.. but that's just a guess...

Bohrio wrote: »
    Well then I guess that's why is a warning... my guess is that they are warning people and asking then to control themselves but not throttling yet.. but that's just a guess...
    They have always throttled without warning before so why the letters to people who are not even approaching the skimpy caps of their unlimited option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

They have always throttled without warning before so why the letters to people who are not even approaching the skimpy caps of their unlimited option

Well, I suppose it is because of all the complaints they had of people saying that that they were throttled without warning. Maybe this is the answer to that? So, apart from their website you now will receive a warning letter too

So basically their throttling procedure remains the same... they just added this letter to inform people their usage is too high and to hold their horses otherwise if they keep like this they will be throttled.

I am thinking that, to some people, that letter will not arrive in time, and probably by the time they receive the letter they will already be throtled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Ah the memories. Surf No limits all over again. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I'm on option 3 the allegedly unlimited option.I feel that for them to have taken the time to write about something that that they did without warning in the past that some change in the T & Cs is in the offing

No ISP has been or is currently selling a broadband product listed as "unlimited" and does not state a FUP. They all do this and all FUP's advise on the details so they didnt change their T&C's you just didnt read your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

I don't understand why service providers have to be so damn opaque about their fair usage policies. Just tell me how much I can download before I’m going to get in trouble. You don’t have to say it in your marketing materials, but at least make it clear on the usage web page for my account.

Speaking of that usage page, why is it BT has a 100% useless usage page? It doesn’t at all reflect the criteria that they’re using to determine over usage.

If they offered me a package that has a clear usage limit during peak hours and unlimited off peak and I could actually keep track of my usage then I would grab it with two hands.

I'm pretty sure its because the more accurate the info is on what your allowed download under the fair usage it to some users would be like setting a traget for them and hence pushing network load up.... on the other hand if you dont have to state the exact reach of a FUP the majority of users will be cautious and undershoot this with only a small percent having to be warned via letters.

So from an ISP point of view its a. Supply accurate info which see's increased network traffic or b. Have people be cautious of usage and only have to send a handfull of pre formatted letters a month.

The way to get around that would be to ask @ point of same about the FUP and what its reach is. The only real bone of contention with this is Comregs stance on it says an ISP should advise of a FUP, clearly state steps taken in event of the breach and that (and here is the grey area) Comreg should be happy that the FUP is reasonable.
    Not a major issue for the likes of Smart or UPC seeing as their FUP of 250gb upwards is very high in most peoples opinions but with the likes of BT or Eircom with lower FUP's "reasonable" is a tough definition to pin down.

hightower1 wrote: »
    No ISP has been or is currently selling a broadband product listed as "unlimited" and does not state a FUP. They all do this and all FUP's advise on the details so they didnt change their T&C's you just didnt read your contract.

Bit arrogant aren't to assume what I read or didn't read.

Bit arrogant aren't to assume what I read or didn't read.

Sorry, didnt mean to come off like that just as I was pointing out , you mentioned they changed their terms and conditions for adding a FUP? but yet the FUP was stated in the contract.

Advertisement