Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AdamAntsy

Can you PM me also - about to exactly that this weekend, spend time in a showroom going over all the options. We had some interesting quotes from various companies, and a phone call from one basically saying that with all the variables its likely you can get something to match your budget by adding/subtracting from it, the base quote you get may be very different from the best price/feature that you may want.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

And me please ..... cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 I'm

mr_edge_to_you - could I trouble you for a PM with the name aswell please ?

Many thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 scuzz

Mr Edge,
    Can I trouble you to PM :)the details also
    Many thanks
    Scuzz

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

Mr Edge
    Can you pm me too.

many thanks

SJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ok then. This thread could go on and on with requests for the name of a single window company. God knows there are hundreds of them out there with the majority of them being reputable.

As this has now been moved to the prices/costs forum would mr_edge_to_you please post up the name of the company for everyone to see. (providing you have no connection with the company)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

muffler wrote: »
    Ok then. This thread could go on and on with requests for the name of a single window company. God knows there are hundreds of them out there with the majority of them being reputable.

As this has now been moved to the prices/costs forum would mr_edge_to_you please post up the name of the company for everyone to see. (providing you have no connection with the company)

Cheers.

I have no connection with either of the companies other than happy customer of one and someone who was impressed with another.

Now that this thread has been moved, the company we opted for was Carlson. They can be contaced on (01)4625777. The product they have is an alu-timber composite frame as opposed to alu-clad. It looks to be a superior product than the alu-clad and more expensive. We were able to negotiate a price which we felt was a good deal when compared to the other contender (Nordan). I REITERATE, IT WAS NOT THE CHEAPEST BUT FELT LIKE EXCELLENT VALUE FOR OUR MONEY. I'm not mentioning prices here as that is irrelevant - we have our own house design so it's of no use to anyone else. Carlson also had a far greater choice when it came to "window system" front and back doors.

I would also advise people to visit Nordan in the Dublin Door Store in Bluebell Industrial Estate. They have a fantastic showroom and you can go in and wander at your leisure. They have a great range of AluClad windows on display. Their price was approx €2000 cheaper than Carlson but we felt the Carlson product was better and it was easy to see where the extra money was going. Nordan can be contaced on (01)4268190. Their showrooms are open Monday to Saturday unlike most other suppliers and no appointment is necessary. It is a great product but it is AluClad as opposed to Alu-Timber Composite which we thought was a better product.

Carlson did appear to be more to negotiation than Nordan. I think the whole window decision is about seeing the windows you want and going after the best price you can get for it. No two window suppliers supply the same product so it's very difficult to compare like with like.

Best of luck with your decision.

Regards,
    Edge.

Please feel free to PM with any other queries, I'll be glad to pass on any information I can. Just PM me directly, please don't post the request in the thread. The mods might get upset! ;) Muffler!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Please feel free to PM with any other queries, I'll be glad to pass on any information I can. Just PM me directly, please don't post the request in the thread. The mods might get upset! ;) Muffler!!!
    Nah. So long as the posts are in relation to the pricing etc it will be fine.

But if anyone is considering debate about the thermal properties or the type of glass that should be used or the company performance on the stock exchange etc etc then they would need to start a thread in the main construction & planning forum but without naming the company.

Sounds a bit confusing but to simplify this forum is for all pricing issues and companies/firms may be named. For everything else choose another forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Here are the quotes that we have gotten for Alu Clad (around 90 sq mtrs of glass) with a fair few openings. Not all quoted for roof lights (approx 2k worth) - if installation was not quoted we added 5k.

Velfac estimatingdirect@velfac.ie 50,000
    Dansk info@dansk.ie 45,000
    Produkt info@produkt.ie 68000 + VAT
    Eco Glazeinfo@ecoglaze.ie 74200
    Roco info@scandanavian-windows.ie 44832
    Munster Joinery sales@munsterjoinery.ie 51075
    Marvin 42000 - 12000 for doors
    Grady Joinery sales@gradyjoinery.ie 51075
    Nordic Windows sales@nordicsolutions.ie 48900
    True Windows 52700
    Optiwin info@optiwin.ie 44844
    Rationel 41000
    Nordan botoole@nordan.ie 44474

Ruled 3 out on price.
    Gave up on 2 due to lack of interest on their part in giving precise quote / returning phone calls etc... suprise suprise they both have something in common mentioned by Mr Edge on a different thread !:cool:
    Ruled one out because it was too far away and website wasn't great.
    The rest we went to see and have it narrowed down to 3 at the moment.

By going to showrooms etc we figured out the following was what we were looking for:
    Full window U value of 1.4 min
    Relatively slim line frames

Decent unbulky looking sliding doors

Easy to use child locks

No visible external hinges

None or very minimal finger jointing in the wood

None or very minimal knots in the wood

Feel free to PM if you want any info...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

JuniorB wrote: »
    Here are the quotes that we have gotten for Alu Clad (around 50 sq mtrs of glass) with a fair few openings. Not all quoted for roof lights (approx 2k worth) - if installation was not quoted we added 5k.

Velfac estimatingdirect@velfac.ie 50,000
    Dansk info@dansk.ie 45,000
    Produkt info@produkt.ie 68000 + VAT
    Eco Glazeinfo@ecoglaze.ie 74200
    Roco info@scandanavian-windows.ie 44832
    Munster Joinery sales@munsterjoinery.ie 51075
    Marvin 42000 - 12000 for doors
    Grady Joinery sales@gradyjoinery.ie 51075
    Nordic Windows sales@nordicsolutions.ie 48900
    True Windows 52700
    Optiwin info@optiwin.ie 44844
    Rationel 41000
    Nordan botoole@nordan.ie 44474

Ruled 3 out on price.
    Gave up on 2 due to lack of interest on their part in giving precise quote / returning phone calls etc... suprise suprise they both have something in common mentioned by Mr Edge on a different thread !:cool:
    Ruled one out because it was too far away and website wasn't great.
    The rest we went to see and have it narrowed down to 3 at the moment.

By going to showrooms etc we figured out the following was what we were looking for:
    Full window U value of 1.4 min
    Relatively slim line frames

Decent unbulky looking sliding doors

Easy to use child locks

No visible external hinges

None or very minimal finger jointing in the wood

None or very minimal knots in the wood

Feel free to PM if you want any info...:)

Yikes..........that seems pricey for just 50sqm of glass.

I have 83 sqm of glass in mine..........haven't got quotes back yet ..........passes out...........:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Sorry Nauxs... tis 90 sq mtrs. All these numbers are confusing me !!:P
    Lots of openings but no circular windows or the like.

This is the great problem with people comparing window prices. All of the windows I looked at each price was a different type of aluclad product. I will keep reiterating, decide on the window you want after viewing them all and if you go back to the rep with a blank cheque he will not let you walkaway, may not be the cheapest but could be better a product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 selfbuildlost

used munster joinery before and will be using them again shortly - had no problems and it did what it said on the tin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chatterbox007

Hi
    I'm looking to replace windows in my 3 bed semi. Has anyone any advise on this and who to go with?

Chatterbox, you have to first decide what type of window you want. Pvc, timber, aluclad etc. There is so much choice out there. That is before you get into u values and double or triple glazed. Make an appointment to visit the showroom of some of the bigger suppliers and see what takes your fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chatterbox007

Thanks Mr Edge, I should have mensioned I want pvc brown double glaze - not too expensive. I understand the difference in u values but i'm just wondering if anyone has replaced windows and could offer some advice or recommendations. Also do they normally include plastering etc with the fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 buzzbuzzbuzz

I'd be interested too in chatterbox's question. I am looking to change the windows and doors in a semi d. A few of our windows are already done, so looking at six windows and the frond door. Anyone any idea on the price. upvc. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Timnice

<this is not a name and shame thread>

Your post was a gripe, nothing to do with sharing or discussing prices or costs.

Read the Charter before posting again.

You are new here so consider this your only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Hi all,
    I've a bit of a broad question but really i'm just looking for an "off the top of your head" answer (based on experience if possible!).

What are the percentage increases in cost in terms of the different types of windows available? For example....

timber being 10%(?) more expensive than alu-clad and so on...pvc etc.

assuming all u-values, sizes, d/g are the same.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

hi currahee o1 and any other boarder,

sorry but i am a late to join boards and only came across your post now

i am currently standing on the brink of buying windows for my new house, i really like alu-clad black outside and real timber on inside, i am looking for a good supplier could you pass on details on who you used and how you got on please and sorry once again i know i am late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 siobhmarie

Hi Currahee01,

But could you send me the PM aswell.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 siobhmarie

Hey guys, we're hoping to place our order for our AluTimber windows on Thursday with an importer from Denmark (i've gotten that issue off my chest now!!). In arriving at this choice we just rang around the various well known suppliers and manufacturers in Ireland and a few smaller local importers, in all we got about 15 quotes ranging from 44k to 23k. As about 5 we're under 25k we went looking at the showrooms for each of the sub 25k windows. It is vital you do this exercise as no two windows are the same! Take the time to check them out, this how you learn what a good window is. When we saw the window that we hope to go with we saw straight away why it was slightly more expensive!it also gives you ideas. The sales guys will give you good advice in relation to things like opening types. I think people here get too bogged down on the various prices each of us got quoted from various companies. There are so many variables in all of our quotes. For example some companies can only do side hung it certain sizes, some companies don't have night latches on side hung, sunrooms, odd shapes etc. SOME COMPANIES WERE QUOTING FOR ALU/TIMBER COMPOSITE AS OPPOSED TO ALUCLAD. We saw one window in particular which was a very impressive product. We decided that the best way forward was to work on getting the best price we can on this window as it seems to be the rolls royce of all the windows we've seen. They have night latches on side hung openings, they make French style windows, it's a composite frame (looks much sleeker and tighter than the Alu Clad), excellent ventilation on the frame if necessary, excellent options on front door. They do a 30% gloss finish on the exterior which we both liked, takes the mad shine of the frame. Because we both feel that this window is so much better and we're in a position to pay for it we'll just bargain for the best possible price. Cheers, Edge.

Hi,

Could I get the name of the company that you got your windows from, just starting to build myself and trying to get the best price.

Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055588542&page=3

i have already mentioned in the thread who my window supplier was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

mr edge, I wonder if you'd have any comments now, 2 years later, on the overall value you got from your window supplier?

Would you still recommend them as highly? thx

edanto wrote: »
    mr edge, I wonder if you'd have any comments now, 2 years later, on the overall value you got from your window supplier?

Would you still recommend them as highly? thx

Only just saw this sorry.

Supplier has been brilliant. Had a few issues that arose since moving in that I never got round to sorting out. Rang the supplier yesterday and they called out and had them fixed by the time I got home from work this evening. Phenomenal customer service.

Advertisement