Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

better school

Options
  • 10-06-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi Parents,

Which school can be rated higher in Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15 from Eucate Together school and Mulhudart Catholic national school for primary schooling?

thanks,

Atwal
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

As each would be totally different types of school I would say its going to be hard to judge them against each other. It would be better to judge on which would suit your child.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Which is better - blue or red? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 atwal

i what way both are different. I spoke to few people, they said both are same educationally apart from religious aspect of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Atwal, what you are asking is a very difficult thing to answer, as there is no recognised way to rate one school against another.
    I can only give you my opinions, based on some of my experiences, but other parents from the same schools I've used could totally disagree with me!!

Eductate together's policy is to promote more involvement between the parents and the school and also to be child centred, meaning that the the abilities of each child are catered for in terms of pace of learning etc. These are fine ideals, and work well in very small Educate together schools, but in my experience, once the size of an educate together increases to match that of a 'normal' primary, these ideals are harder to attain, and fall by the wayside.
    So, at the end of the day, if its a big educate together the only difference between it and a catholic primary school is the fact that there are no religious instruction classes.

I also feel that regardless of school policies, religious involvement or management, what makes a school 'good' or 'bad', is very heavily dependent upon the teacher your child has. If you and your child gets on well with the teacher, its a 'good' school, if they dont its a 'bad' school! A good relationship with the teacher is vital, and unfortunatley its not something you have any control over, or can even do anything about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Hi all.

My 7 year old son is a very intellegent little fella, and has been doing well in school since day 1. He has read about 20 books for aged 9+ from Christmas to March this year, and his spelling is amazing and has the conversational skills far above his age. Unlike me:D.Then for the 4th time in 3 years his class got another new teacher. Now he doesn't read anymore and hates going to school now as he says he doesn't like his new Teacher.
    We got a letter from this teacher a couple of weeks ago saying that our soon is slow in school?

How can this be? I do his homework with him every night and he gets perfect results in hi tests.

Whats wrong? the Teacher or my Son.
    When I was his age I didn't like my Teacher and ended up having to stay back and I don't want this to happen to him.
    My self and my wife are thinking about moving him to a different class in September but don't want to rock any boats.

What can we do?

He is not being bullied in school and gets on well with everyone.:(. HELP.
    P.S. Living in Clonsilla.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I doubt the problem is with your son, the new teacher is just calling as he/she sees it, and at this point in time your son is p'ed off with all the teacher changes and disruption, and doesnt get on with the latest one. That's why he's acting up, and the teacher can only base his/her opinion on the short period of time since they've arrived.

I suggest you change your child to a different class if you can (and importantly, if he'll let you, its hard to move away from the group you've been with), though its no guarantee that he'll have the same teacher all the way through next year either.
    Either way, try to encourage your child to get on with whoever he has, and let him know that its not his fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A chat with the principal might clear things up a bit. The previous teachers would have notes/reports which might be able to help you flag the issue. Also if you could see the current teacher's notes and compare them?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

suey71 wrote: »
    Hi all.

What can we do?

As a teacher working in the D15 area I would recommend you don't move your child because of this especially not without looking at the situation from all angles. Write the teacher a letter outlining the concerns of you and your wife and ask to make an appintment to talk to her. Then you will see things from her side, as really what it shoulds like is a clash of personalities, and hopefully your son's class will get a new teacher at the next opportunity.

Could it be that your son is bored in school and as a result is not bothering to try anymore? I have 6/7 year olds myself and have seen this happen. In the long term this can affect your son as it is getting him out of the good work habits he had developed so working with the teacher you need to find a way to motivate him again however you see fit, praise, rewards etc.

I have also seen childrens behaviour deteriorate towards the end of the school year, which can be restlessness as they know the summer is near, this again can have a knock on effect with their attitude to work, in which case again rewards or the like should work as he was always well behaved before.

I would leave moving him as a very last resort because his friends are all with him and he is settled in his class. The fact that he is comfortable and moves well in his social circle is the most important thing for all children I feel.

I hope this was some help, maybe not as the school year is over but definately look into it first thing in September. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Thanks evryone for replying. We'll take evrything onboard.

Advertisement