Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angel Lane

Options
  • 10-06-2009 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Just wondering if angel lane is good/busy on a saturday nite as i plan to bring my best friend who is getting married and her hens here for the hen party in August? :) Well its there or the Icon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just wondering if angel lane is good/busy on a saturday nite as i plan to bring my best friend who is getting married and her hens here for the hen party in August? :) Well its there or the Icon?

Saturday night is the busiest night of the week for nightclubs. Angel Lane is pretty big but it does get busy in there on a Saturday night. Icon would be pretty much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

Dunno if this post is too late for your outing but here's to all others who dont know anything about either club...

Icon is FULL of annoying little boys in striped jumpers who arent big enuf to handle their drink, they harrass u all night, slap ur behind, get right in ur face, scream in ur ear, WILL NOT leave u alone when u tell them go, need I continue???
    The girls are also v young and v loud - I went to the bathroom one night to find two SCREAMING in amazement that they got in, absolutely SCREAMING AHHHHHH AHHHHHH AHHHHHH - After about 4 years frequenting this place Id finally had enuf and swore never to go again and I recommend to ALL who dont know it to avoid it.

Plus the music is VERY dated and the songs were never even hits to begin with - U KNOW whats coming on next then u have to run up/downstairs to escape it (and the little boys who dont take no for an answer)
    then u discover the music is just as bad, all the djs use the same sorry collection - oh God - the place is hell and the smoking area is DISGUSTING - a smelly overcrowded dark alley.

Then Angel Lane opened up and now theres somewhere decent to go, older crowd (mid-late 20s plus), no squitching kids, decent sized shots and LOADS of room - Icon is claustrophobic hell.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Dunno if this post is too late for your outing but here's to all others who dont know anything about either club...

Icon is FULL of annoying little boys in striped jumpers who arent big enuf to handle their drink, they harrass u all night, slap ur behind, get right in ur face, scream in ur ear, WILL NOT leave u alone when u tell them go, need I continue???
    The girls are also v young and v loud - I went to the bathroom one night to find two SCREAMING in amazement that they got in, absolutely SCREAMING AHHHHHH AHHHHHH AHHHHHH - After about 4 years frequenting this place Id finally had enuf and swore never to go again and I recommend to ALL who dont know it to avoid it.

Plus the music is VERY dated and the songs were never even hits to begin with - U KNOW whats coming on next then u have to run up/downstairs to escape it (and the little boys who dont take no for an answer)
    then u discover the music is just as bad, all the djs use the same sorry collection - oh God - the place is hell and the smoking area is DISGUSTING - a smelly overcrowded dark alley.

Then Angel Lane opened up and now theres somewhere decent to go, older crowd (mid-late 20s plus), no squitching kids, decent sized shots and LOADS of room - Icon is claustrophobic hell.:eek:

Nice to see Angel Lane management found this thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Angel Lane is a big improvement on The Market Niteclub, alot more spacious and the crowd are older. Avoid Icon like the plague, as buttercupbee already said its full of 18 year old gits and is also home to a share load of scumbags. Quite how they manage to get in, given how they are dressed, i do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You might find that some people/guys are always interested in 18 year old girls but not the immature screeching kind. ;)

Angel lane is a vast improvement on clubbing in Limerick. Although I do not go out very often and those times I do go out I am rarely drinking I see the clubs from a sober position.

The Icon will boil your brain. You get bored in there and walk up the ramp to upstairs do a lap and come back down. You are now bored. Angel lane at least has different areas playing different music.

The Smoking area is also the best smoking area around. I might even call myself a connoisseur of smoking areas at this stage. You do not actually feel like you are outside.

It is a vast improvement on the Market Nightclub or the "Cattle Mart". It was truly a teeny bopper club before it burnt down.

Trinity rooms has a bad image in the mid to late 20's crowd because it is another teeny bopper club. It always was I think because I first went into that club on my 16th birthday all those years ago.

NOBODY will be able to top the days of "THE GALLERY" or "FEATHERY BURKES"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

"NOBODY will be able to top the days of "THE GALLERY" or "FEATHERY BURKES"

f**k, a blast from the past...!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Angel Lane is nothing special in any way. Looking at how they are struggling for a crowd at the moment makes me wonder how viable a place it is for the money that must have been pumped in to do it up in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

smoking area in angel lane is not a patch on the smoking cage in costelloes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

seachto7 wrote: »
    "NOBODY will be able to top the days of "THE GALLERY" or "FEATHERY BURKES"

f**k, a blast from the past...!:eek:

I'm trying to rember the gallery again and i cant. Can someone jog my memory. where was that again?

• Advertisement

The nightclub in the old george hotel.
    The names it went under as far as I can remember are:
    Tropics
    Phase 2
    The Gallery
    The 80's Night (Friday Nights)
    Fernandos (Thursday Nights)

Ah..yes. The 80's night!! Many a good night out was had in there!:) Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Roadend wrote: »
    The nightclub in the old george hotel.
    The names it went under as far as I can remember are:
    Tropics
    Phase 2
    The Gallery
    The 80's Night (Friday Nights)
    Fernandos (Thursday Nights)

They had some Stuck up Bar downtsairs in the George too, the name I cant remember.
    Where it was 21's instead of 18's to get into.

I've a Tropics Gold Card someplace at home got you free cloak room and
    1 Irish Punt per drink before midnight. Circa 1993??

Have a Saints opening night Complimentary stashed someplace too.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lisaleathers

jesus ye are great all of ye when ye get goin, nope hen isint till 15th of Aug, the only trouble i have at the mo' is finding out whos coming and whos not!Grrr!Yed defo goin with angel lane and the Guy i was talking to said he knows ppl in the ARdoo, or however its spelt, i dunno, so i mite keep with that!Yes id be sure ready to slap ppl that go around sreachin in night clubs all night, but theres always a few hey.Fingers crossed neway for the night!:):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

The sibin was the name of the bar

The sibin stuck up?? Surely not. They used to thave sides of bacon hanging from the roof and plastic covers on the tables!!:D Maybe im thinking of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ah the Sibin. Small dark and full of Americans all confused by our smoking room of death.

Everybody was smoking, nobody could get to the bar and the Ceile band were giving it goodo on the stage.

It was always a good way to get through the queue into the Gallery nightclub though because you could go up the back stairs and bypass the front door.

There was the George bar as well which was basically an underage bar however you look at it.

sioda wrote: »
    The sibin was the name of the bar

It was the Gloryhole before that I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Angel Lane is grand lovely and modern however quite a few tosspots in there who are full of their own self importance. Its grand just grand.

Icon is grand just grand,

Trinity Rooms is grand just grand too.

So ya hmmm prob go to Galway or Cork for your Hen night.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

thebhoy wrote: »

That smoking cage is fantastic, its like somewhere guys would fight bareknuckled over a horse or something

• Advertisement

bullets wrote: »
    They had some Stuck up Bar downtsairs in the George too, the name I cant remember.
    Where it was 21's instead of 18's to get into.

I've a Tropics Gold Card someplace at home got you free cloak room and
    1 Irish Punt per drink before midnight. Circa 1993??

Have a Saints opening night Complimentary stashed someplace too.

~B
    The bar downstairs in the George was called "The Sibin", there was also "The Sports Bar"

Arathorn wrote: »
    Nice to see Angel Lane management found this thread :p

I actually stopped meeting friends over Icon, well b4 A.L.
    and wouldnt go Trinity Rooms if the drink was free,
    there ARE no other conventional clubs in Limerick, so Icon had its drunken fools and trinity has its sad wannabe wags, between them they had it sewn up.
    These days rarely go out at all but at least when I do
    Angel Lane/Sin Bin are something to look forward to.

Do u want me to say something BAD about it???

So now I spose Im staff of Sin Bin am I???

I mean - are YOU urself STAFF/MANAGEMENT from ICON???

Catch u there, did I??? How do YOU like that???:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 badaulname

Angel Lane is the place to go, management are a friendly bunch!

My team went in there after a cup final with the trophy, they let us in for free, gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne AND gave us half price drink vouchers each! The ICON had turned us away at the door

15 lovely ladies and a trophy...who would turn us away!:P

ICON don't really have people skills so if you don't want to be frowned upon or turned away the door and maybe some free drink Angel Lane it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anal Pain is popular because it is the new place to be. If another nightclub opens the same fickle herd will most likely flock there, free drink or not. The Limerick Post still need photos of jocks and wags for their weekly "Out and About" pages. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

remember the fad of "sports bars"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

badaulname wrote: »
    ICON don't really have people skills so if you don't want to be frowned upon or turned away the door and maybe some free drink Angel Lane it is!

Would have to agree 100% there! Absolutely rubbish people skills.

Niteclubs are overrated though - better to stay at home and have your own party - food and drink is cheaper.

Saying that Icon is only place worth going to on Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

thebhoy wrote: »

The difference being that in Angel Lanes smoking area, you'd at least be able to make a half decent attempt to escape being burned alive. Costelloes is an utter **** hole + 10000

Advertisement