Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi

• 10-06-2009 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

sorry if this is basic but i'm not the most tech savvy person in the world....

I'm looking to buy a new mobile with internet capability (this is mainly so i can access my home outlook account I wouldn't use the internet much othe wise) I would probably only need to access mail a couple of times a day and maybe send a mail once a day.

I would be a lite user as far as calls are concerned as well.

question: when i'm in a wifi coverage area can i use wifi to access my mail on my phone without signing up to some net package with my provider.

if not what is the most cost effective way of accessing mail.

The phone I'm looking at is the Nokia E66.

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Once the phone has wifi and you have permission to use the wifi there should be no problem accessing the internet for free.

In terms of checking your mail, you seem to want to just connect to your outlook client on your home/work computer, don't think this is possible. The ways I would suggest are
    1 Just use the internet browser on the phone to access your email account by going to gmail.com for example.
    2 Download an app in order to access your email, afaik, gmail have an S60 app for nokia phones
    3 I'd be pretty sure the phone you are looking at would be able to access pop servers similar to how outlook would. One thing which is a bit of an issue is that if you access the server from your phone the messages it downloads will then not be availible to download using outlook on your computer, this also happens trying to use outlook for on two different computers for one email account. There are ways around this but not sure how well they worl with phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

most phones support imap. If the server supports it use it on the phone and pop on the pc.

Advertisement