Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hear Bell X1's cover of Boys of Summer on Ray D'arcy- absolutely stunning.

Options
  • 10-06-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Just heard them do Boys of Summer on Ray D'arcy there.
    Absolutely amazing cover.
    Anyone hear it?
    They are really talented.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

tech77 wrote: »
    Just heard them do Boys of Summer on Ray D'arcy there.
    Absolutely amazing cover.
    Anyone hear it?
    They are really talented.

Agree they are talented , but it wouldn't have taken much talent to do the cover that they did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

gustavo wrote: »
    it wouldn't have taken much talent to do the cover that they did

Did you hear it?
    Of course any non-talented band can cover such a song but
    their particular version was exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I like Bell X1, think they are excellent. Is there a podcast, or stream available to hear this?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Beth1978

Hi OP, I heard that this morning and thought it was great too. I've never heard a cover of that song before, a brave thing to do with such a well known song but they did a fab job.They usually put things up like that on the today fm website so you might have some luck there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sounds good - I love that song and Bell X1 are pretty good.

• Advertisement

Beth1978 wrote: »
    Hi OP, I heard that this morning and thought it was great too. I've never heard a cover of that song before, a brave thing to do with such a well known song but they did a fab job.They usually put things up like that on the today fm website so you might have some luck there.

Yeah, might take a look.
    Cheers.
    There was definitely something special about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sleight of hand

hshortt wrote: »
    I like Bell X1, think they are excellent. Is there a podcast, or stream available to hear this?

Cheers

Can't find it on podcast or you tube but found a live version from last year. excellent live band.

link: http://hypem.com/track/514085/?rec_ref=833900

Thanks you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That song gets covered a lot. The last cover of it that I liked was the Ataris version that was in the charts about four or five years ago.

Following the link and subsequent listen, you can pull the 128Kbps MP3 from your browsers cache. ;)

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    That song gets covered a lot. The last cover of it that I liked was the Ataris version that was in the charts about four or five years ago.

Yeah DJ Sammy covered it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭larchielads

hshortt wrote: »
    Following the link and subsequent listen, you can pull the 128Kbps MP3 from your browsers cache. ;)
    how do you do that????

If you are using Internet Explorer, go have a listen to the song online, then click tools, Internet Options, and under browsing history, click settings, then view files. This opens a window with all the cached files from your browsing sessions. Sort them by size (click the size column twice to have the largest files shown first) then look at the files at the top, you'll see the MP3 file with a wierd name using lots of numbers/letters etc. Copy the file from there to your desktop or music folder and rename it to whatever you like.

If you've any problems drop me a PM and I'll go through in more detail.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fran Kim

I love Bell x1. I've been to their gig once and they were really fantastic at live! They are absolutely well talented!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

How unispiring is that? Just like their new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Fran Kim wrote: »
    I love Bell x1. I've been to their gig once and they were really fantastic at live! They are absolutely well talented!

LOL , coudnt help laughing at this sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bell X1 are the replacement for The Beautiful South. It fills a gap for middle of the road, unoffensive, boring, claptrap that people buy in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dear God that's woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fran Kim

LOL , coudnt help laughing at this sorry.
    Damn! I thought that I'm boring and not funny person. Well obviously not!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just like Bell X1 in general, that cover has 'meh' written all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Minaloushe

Well, never mind what people say, I love that cover and I'm delighted I found the link, and thank you SO much for the tip, I know have the mp3 sitting nicely on my computer and a smile on my face.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭emeo

it's a stunning version of a lovely song,
    bell x1 are the most underrated band Ireland has ever produced
    i can't understand how they're so overlooked
    pity:mad: ah well, i appreciate them anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i think their old stuff is great.
    I think that cover is tremendous. His voice suits it really well.
    I think however that their new album is tosh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Somebody uploaded this some time in the past 48 hours.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Its not too bad.
    Thanks for posting it, wouldnt of heard it otherwise, cos there is absolutely no way i'd listen to ray d'arcy.
    (i'm not actually small, and i've got an abnormally large head)
    What a sack.

gustavo wrote: »
    Agree they are talented , but it wouldn't have taken much talent to do the cover that they did

For a version done there and then in the studio, presumably without a lot of embellishment, I thought it was fairly impressive- that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Bell X1 are the replacement for The Beautiful South. It fills a gap for middle of the road, unoffensive, boring, claptrap that people buy in droves

bell x1 are most definately not like the beautiful south!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Yeager101

This isnt the version that Today FM played, but still a good one.
    http://hypem.com/track/514085/Bell+X1+-+The+Boys+Of+Summer+Live+MPR+3+20+2008+Don+Henley+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

No no no no no no no no. Don Henley's original please, every time. BellX1 would make a fine pub band playing quietly in the corner of a pub I'm not drinking in, because BellX1 are playing in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement