Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom waste pipe

Options
  • 10-06-2009 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

i hope someone can clear this up for me.i need to move around the bath etc in our bathroom but am not sure what size waste pipes to get as i can't work out the diametre i need.i wrapped a strip of paper around the pipe and the sizes i got are:bath pipe 135mm and sink 112mm.does this sound right as i've lookedon ebay and can't see pipe in those sizes?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Bath 11/2" marley waste pipe, sink 11/4" marley

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

joeclif wrote: »
    Bath 11/2" marley waste pipe, sink 11/4" marley

hope that helps

i'm not questioning your answer as most things in this house are bodged but 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 don't tie up with the measurements i got off the existing pipe work.i'm not replacing it just extending that's why i'm puzzled:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

bugsntinas wrote: »
    i'm not questioning your answer as most things in this house are bodged but 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 don't tie up with the measurements i got off the existing pipe work.i'm not replacing it just extending that's why i'm puzzled:confused::confused:

If the pipe is white its 1.1/2" and 1.1/4" as said. Buy a socket in both sizes cut the pipe and then you can glue it back together using the sockets. This will prove it.

Alternativly if you are confident get a 1.1/2" and 1/4" pce of pipe and try it in the bath trap and basin trap respectivly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

bugsntinas wrote: »
    i hope someone can clear this up for me.i need to move around the bath etc in our bathroom but am not sure what size waste pipes to get as i can't work out the diametre i need.i wrapped a strip of paper around the pipe and the sizes i got are:bath pipe 135mm and sink 112mm.does this sound right as i've lookedon ebay and can't see pipe in those sizes?:confused:

You are measuring the circumference of the pipe and it isn't sold that way. To get the diameter what you need to do is divide the circumference by 3.142, and then divide the result by 25.4 to get the diameter in inches. Given your dimensions, 135 mm equals 1.69 inches and 112 mm is 1.4 inches. Therefore Joecliff is right.

Actually a lot of DIY stores sell the pipe and fittings in metric measurements nowadays, so yours would be 40 mm for the bath and 32 mm for the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

thank you both for your help.i'll popalong to the diy shop soon and get the required pipe and fittings.again thank you.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement