Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned for 6 months...damn!

Options
  • 10-06-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I think there's a bit of overzealous moderation of dissenting opinions going on in the vegetarian forums, but anyway..

Is there any possibility to have the ban lifted or shortened?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why?

You had a shorter ban. You decided that didn't mean anything and re-registered to get around it so you could continue your behaviour.

That begs the question - why should we shorten this ban? Evidently you weren't willing to take time out given to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Why?

You had a shorter ban. You decided that didn't mean anything and re-registered to get around it so you could continue your behaviour.

huh?

I didn't re-register to continue my "behavoiur" whatever that's supposed to mean. I registered to respond to a mod that banned me and then subsequently addressed me in another post. I wouldn't have bothered registering again otherwise.I can assure you I have no intention of doing so again while this ban is in effect.
    That begs the question - why should we shorten this ban?

It's extremely harsh imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You re-registered to deliberately go against the forum charter.

It is a Boards-wide rule that you do not discuss moderation on threads, that you do either PM the moderator, or post in either Help Desk or Feedback.

You received a warning in PM, but chose to question it in a thread.

The moderator was publicly telling the other posters that you had been warned.

I'll wait for neuro-praxis to post here, as she is the V&V Moderator, but I was the one who asked for your ban for re-registering as I am a moderator of the whole Food&Drink Sub Category.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

cozmik wrote: »
    huh?

I didn't re-register to continue my "behaviour" whatever that's supposed to mean. I registered to respond to a mod that banned me and then subsequently addressed me in another post.

This is one reason we provide private message functionality.

This is one reason we provide private message functionality.

In which case the mod should have used the private message functionality to begin with instead of addressing me in the thread after removing my posting rights.

You can't treat people like that and not expect to get a response.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    You re-registered to deliberately go against the forum charter.

Bollix , I've never read the forum charter so how could I know I was deliberately going against it? eh?
    You received a warning in PM, but chose to question it in a thread.

I recieved a warning in the thread aswell as in PM and I responeded to both.

Bollix , I've never read the forum charter so how could I know I was deliberately going against it? eh?
    You have just shot yourself in the foot with that.

Ignorance of the charter/general Boards.ie Rules is no defence if you receive punishment for breaking them.

You have just shot yourself in the foot with that.

Ignorance of the charter/general Boards.ie Rules is no defence if you receive punishment for breaking them.

Be that as it may your insinuation that I was deliberately trying to break the forum charter is bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I would draw your attention to this section of our site wide guidelines.
    Not reading the rules is against the rules

Claiming that you didn’t read the rules and therefore they don’t apply to you isn't going to work here. Funnily enough, it doesn’t work in a real court of law either. Saying “I didn’t see the 1 Hour Parking sign” won’t stop you getting clamped.

Claiming that you didn’t read the rules and therefore they don’t apply to you isn't going to work here.

Where did I claim that the rules don't apply to me? All I said is that I didn't read the charter, nothing more.

• Advertisement

That begs the question - why should we shorten this ban?

It's extremely harsh imho.

I gave you an answer, BuffyBot. So, what's it to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hi
    I think there's a bit of overzealous moderation of dissenting opinions going on in the vegetarian forums
    Dissenting opinions? You seemed to be dragging the thread off-topic. You don't seem to have read what sweet-rasmus has written to you directly explaining this. The fact that you think that you are banned for a dissenting opinion almost makes me think that you were deliberately posting there to form a dissenting opinion, but I'm hoping that's not correct.

If you aren't willing to post constructively with respect to the topic of the thread then you are causing off-topic noise.

Logic dictates that if you are banned from a forum and sign up a new account to post on that forum - you will not be given a red carpet. If you can't understand that then you should take a step back from posting for a while. I get the feeling that you don't want to face this truth.
    I'll wait for neuro-praxis to post here, as she is the V&V Moderator
    You mean sweet-rasmus right?! I have given them access to the Helpdesk for any further clarification if needed.
    I gave you an answer, BuffyBot. So, what's it to be?
    Since you started posting on boards, and before, people have been sitebanned for signing up accounts to get around forum bans, it's timesinking, you are causing more work for the mods when they shouldn't have more work. Why should we not siteban you like we do everyone else? Do you deserve special treatment?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cozmik has been permanently banned from the forum. Nearly every single reported post oin this forum is relating to Cozmiks posts, we have increased the ban length generally each time. The posts of cozmik constantly bait others. In this case he was warned, ignored the warning and was banned. Upon recieving the warning he pmed sweet-rasmus, with something along the lines of 'who do you think you are warning me, you are lucky this is not real life', she banned you for one week. If I had gotten there it would have been a lot longer. The you reregistered to get around the ban, I banned you for six months for this. You have been told multiple times to not post oin threads, and to pm mods. You then pmed me with one line of abuse. You have been banned permanently. If you feel you are mature enough to partake in the forum again at some point in the time to come, please make your case to be unbanned. It will be listened to, I doubt this will happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Ok, this is everything I have to say on the matter.

In a thread entitled “How did you become a vegetarian”, our poster Laura was asking for people’s experiences on becoming vegetarain/vegan and was it difficult in terms of slip-ups with the diet. We had some constructive comments. Monellia mentioned that the dairy industry promote the idea that milk is good for you and mentioned better calcium sources, so cozmik replied:

“All this stuff you hear about milk being "unnatural" is just propaganda created by militant vegans.”
    Not being helpful or replying to the OP’s question and just attacking Monellia’s post. This post was reported by two separate users. Faith did some modding and warning off-topic.

Further down in the thread, cozmik attacked another user’s opinion (-lala-), again, not constructively adding to the thread of answering the OP’s question. –lala- replied and cozmik continued to push his point. I then received reported post about this in which the poster seemed to be upset by cozmik’s actions. The V+V forum should be somewhere where people can post and discuss issues constructively and enjoy doing so and I felt that cozmik was affecting this environment.

I sent cozmik a warning –
    “I ask that you stop causing such a fuss in the vegan and vegetarian forum. The current thread 'How did you become vegetarian' asks for advice and support and you are just causing arguments. I welcome any supportive advice you give to people but that is all. Any more complaints about you and I'll have to take further action.”
    To alert other users that I had issued cozmik with a warning I posted about it in the thread, as per moderator guidelines and told Jape that rather than responding to this arguement further, that it’s best to just report posts.

Cozmik posted twice more, to further the arguement and publically ask me why I’d warned him. Surely he had seen the message about it in his inbox where I had expalined the issue.

I consulted with fellow mod Tar.Aldarian and felt that a week long ban would give cozmik time to cool off.

After I banned cozmik for 7 days I got a pm from him:
    “listen to yourself, who do you think you are warning me? lol you just count yourself lucky this isn't real life!”
    Now, I would feel as if this was a threat.

Next cozmik re-regged under a similar name to continue with the arguement.

Later on, Tar.Aldarian felt that the forum needed a longer break from cozmik (there have been other similar posts in the past) and extended the ban to 6 months.

Gordon wrote: »
    You mean sweet-rasmus right?!

Yeah, sorry about that sweet-rasmus.

For that PM threat I think a permanent ban is extremely warranted, and furthermore should be upgraded to a permanent site ban.

Nobody should be receiving messages like that while they are a moderator volunteering their time.

I don't know what you think you are playing at there cozmik, but that just isn't on.

You are now permanently banned from the entire Food and Drink category.

Gordon wrote: »
    Dissenting opinions? You seemed to be dragging the thread off-topic.

How do you figure that? If you look again I think you'll see I was responding to a point made by another poster, or is that not allowed on boards.ie?

The V+V forum should be somewhere where people can post and discuss issues constructively and enjoy doing so
    Originally Posted by monellia

When people give you hassle about being a vegan, it's mostly the case that they're subconsciously envious of your willpower.

I definitely agree with that. I think also, they are trying to justiy their guilt by trying making you feel like crap

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055511615&page=2

you call this constructive? and if not then why weren't the posts deleted and the posters BANNED??? eh?

As far as I'm concerned cozmik, all arguments you make are worthless after your PM threat to sweet-rasmus.

You are now permanently banned from the entire Food and Drink category.

Wanker!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement