Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 20mbit in Terenure..

Options
  • 10-06-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I'm probably to going to be moving to terenure in the next few months and am looking at getting the UPC (NTL Chrous) 20mbit broadband only package @42.00 PM.

I have read the other threads on this topic but i'm looking for the latest opinions and don't like bumping old topics.

They say its unlimited usage but i've heard they enforce the f.u.p when approaching 100GB per month.

My main concerns are the quality of the connection. Will I get consistent speeds, at least 15megs all the time.

I don't plan on hitting anywhere near 100GB per month. Probably 30-40 on average with the possibility of a bit more here and there. From other users experiences would they be okay with this?

Overall are people happy with their 20meg connections or would a 10meg connection offer pretty much the same?

Oh yeah, I don't remember reading about contention ratios.. Does this apply to cable?

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

The BT FUP is 100 GB per month.
    The UPC FUP is 250 GB per month.

If you're only hitting 30-40 per month, they won't even look at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    The BT FUP is 100 GB per month.
    The UPC FUP is 250 GB per month.

If you're only hitting 30-40 per month, they won't even look at you.

Cool!! I may up the ante a bit then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

techguy wrote: »
    I'm probably to going to be moving to terenure in the next few months and am looking at getting the UPC (NTL Chrous) 20mbit broadband only package @42.00 PM.

If you're only going to take their BroadBand, it will cost you €48 per month - be aware that its NOT €42 per month. They penialize you €6 per month for ONLY taking their BroadBand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

bonoman66 wrote: »
    If you're only going to take their BroadBand, it will cost you €48 per month - be aware that its NOT €42 per month. They penialize you €6 per month for ONLY taking their BroadBand.

OH! Thats a bit sneaky isn't it!?!

I was wondering about taking the 10 meg as it would be more than adequate. I suppose i'll go for that now as i'll be the only one paying for it and €48 is a bit much tbh..

*shakes fist at UPC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you'll also have their upgrades to look forward to by the end of this year (or so they say).

looks like 10mbps will go to 25mbps, 20mbps will be 60mbps and there will also be a 120mbps option for those with deep pockets.

it's already been discussed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055552453&highlight=120mbps

should (hopefully) be with us before xmas and would be a most welcome pressie indeed! :)

also note that the current UPC FUP of 250gb includes what you upload as well as what you download, unlike the DSL FUP's which are normally measuring download only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

bonoman66 wrote: »

Unlike Eircom/BT/UTV/Perlico/Vodafone etc who charge you €25+ if you only take their Broadband!:rolleyes:
    UPC charge €6.00 if you don't have tv, cause they can't stop you getting the analogue signal, just like Eircom and the rest charge you telephone line rental, cause they can't stop you getting the phone signal.

Simple.

What would be "sneaky" is if they charged you the full €20 odd quid you pay for the tv.

But they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Unlike Eircom/BT/UTV/Perlico/Vodafone etc who charge you €25+ if you only take their Broadband!:rolleyes:

Absolutely agree - fair point - the line rental charged by Eircom is a right old rip off & has been for years. Which is why I'm happy to be lucky enough to live in an area where I can get UPC Cable BB & obviously have ditched Eircom altogether :) along with their line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

UPC charge €6.00 if you don't have tv, cause they can't stop you getting the analogue signal....
    they can't stop me getting the analogue tv signal? hmmm, interesting. :)

seriously, it never even occured to me to check if there was a signal on the ntl analogue tv socket when we got the broadband in.

Everything is sent down the cable, as in if you have signal you have Analougue, Digital and BB Connectivity. Area dependent on BB.

Advertisement