Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History (HL) - The Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Tevez101 wrote: »
    One word.........OBJECTIVE..........what does this mean?

Oh wow, that's JC stuff. That's poor, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

not biased

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Judging from "12 paragraphs" and "only 11 paragraphs" and 13/14 paras being mentioned I'd say you're in for an A... How long are we talking in terms of paras though?

My answers were about 4 pages each, and my handwriting is fairly small so I got about 3 paragraphs per page.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Unbiased (subjective = biased, just to let ya know)

Oh wow, that's JC stuff. That's poor, man.

Objective means unbiased/fair in relation to a report or passage from a text.

Subjective would be biased ie MLK would be biased on the side of the Boycotters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tevez101

Grand thats what I thought it was.....and could u please tell me where the word objective is on any junior cert paper i'd love to see it...muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

moneyman wrote: »
    Something I've always wondered: If I wrote 4 excellent paragraphs equating to about 4 pages, would I still only be marked out of 4 paras? What if I answered the question fully and gave all the relevant info? Basically, will the examiner determine themselves that you really have two paragraphs in one, but you just didn't show it?

Also, I think that you are only marked out of 12 for 5 paragraphs, the other 40 marks are based on other things in the essay. Obviously the examiner can add marks from excessive paragraphs.

They mark it in paragraph equivalents. So yeah they'd break it up. But if you didn't paragraph your work properly I'd imagine you'd lose marks in the overall mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Grand thats what I thought it was.....and could u please tell me where the word objective is on any junior cert paper i'd love to see it...muppet

Try the History one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Uaschamóg

I'd like to consider myself a fairly decent History student...

...but what in the name of christ was that?! :mad:

took the words right out of my mouth

• Advertisement

The History one where you're asked about sources, and in the first few pages of your Junior Cert history book where they talk about how to classify sources as primary/secondary and whether they're biased/prejudiced/subjective or unbiased/fair/objectively written

Same goes for the first parts of all of the LC books, and sections in the revi books

mupp3tlolz

The History one where you're asked about sources, and in the first few pages of your Junior Cert history book where they talk about how to classify sources as primary/secondary and whether they're biased/prejudiced/subjective or unbiased/fair/objectively written

Same goes for the first parts of all of the LC books, and sections in the revi books

mupp3tlolz

Find it for me on a junior cert paper.....nah ya can't because its not there! Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

creggy wrote: »
    I think we can officially say that trying to predict history in the leaving is absolute waste of time.
    I couldn't agree with you more!
    Luckily for me, I decided in an act of "fukc this sh!t" I didn't bank everything on the favored stuff. I was delighted about the Strike and Lockout question! I had studied for a CnG/FF govt/economic question, nothing like that.. So I did the de Valera question and kind of bluffed that after a point.. And I was banking it all on a question on the Soviet Union/Show Trials. Saw the propaganda/terror question and it worked perfectly! I wrote 3/4 of the essay on RoboStalin and the purges/trials and how it was good use of propaganda/terror and I wrote a little bit about MechaHitler and the Night of the Long Knives, Nuremburg a bit and the use of terror to enforce the whole "jews and commis are bad, mkaaay?" point of view by using the Gustapo to purge the non-believers, etc.
    I was more prepared for the Moon Landings Q. My educated guess was wrong. :(
    But I still did good enough on it! Got 3 pages on it! In all, like 12/13 pages. Hopefully I get my B1... :)

Find it for me on a junior cert paper.....nah ya can't because its not there! Idiot.

Haha I'm the idiot? Says the LC history student who didn't know what objective/subjective meant? Oh my days, richer than Alan Sugar. You're expecting me to go through JC papers for you? How's about you go read them, might learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

It was a bitch.
    A total bitch.

I'm really really upset.
    I thought the questions were cheeky for the most parts - lots seemed to be regurgitated up from last year.

Nothing I had prepared came up.
    I didn't get anything finished.
    I thought the Documents were challenging enough.
    I just hope I can pass.
    This is the worst course in the LC and to be honest, despite my love of History, I wish I hadn't kept it on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Trying to predict anything is a waste of time when you really think about it.
    No-one who actually has any info regarding what is a good possibility to come up would ever give hints. If they did, they'd never work for the SEC again.

spurious wrote: »
    Trying to predict anything is a waste of time when you really think about it.
    No-one who actually has any info regarding what is a good possibility to come up would ever give hints. If they did, they'd never work for the SEC again.

There are patterns though and it's rare that for example in newish courses that one thing that hasn't come up when everything else has doesn't come up.

Haha I'm the idiot? Says the LC history student who didn't know what objective/subjective meant? Oh my days, richer than Alan Sugar. You're expecting me to go through JC papers for you? How's about you go read them, might learn something.

Look mate...you're wrong..admit it, get over it! Its not on any Junior cert paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

They mark it in paragraph equivalents. So yeah they'd break it up. But if you didn't paragraph your work properly I'd imagine you'd lose marks in the overall mark.

That's great, thanks. I do have my work paragraped properly, as far as I know, but sometimes I think I don't have enough paragraphs for the amount of work I've done. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

eeeep that was a dodgy paper!

i did
    -Industrialisation of Belfast
    -The treaty one
    -propaganda and terror

questions were very specific,but too specific for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are patterns though and it's rare that for example in newish courses that one thing that hasn't come up when everything else has doesn't come up.

Yes, but a new setter joining a team, or a new Chief Setter could throw a different slant on things. You're still better deciding early on general areas and sticking to them, than banking on something because 'Mr So and So says it and he's always right'.

Look mate...you're wrong..admit it, get over it! Its not on any Junior cert paper...

Mate? Yeah I'm your mate now... Or are you confusing mate with another word, you seem prone to that .. :rolleyes:

I just looked in the front of my LC books and saw it there, and in my JC book (can't recall the name, was a beige color with a computer mouse on it) it was in that.. But yeah I'm just lying to gain erm, um.. Yeah.. Something, I'm sure.

spurious wrote: »
    Yes, but a new setter joining a team, or a new Chief Setter could throw a different slant on things. You're still better deciding early on general areas and sticking to them, than banking on something because 'Mr So and So says it and he's always right'.

Suppose so but at least predictions get you to focus on certain things, most of which will come up in some form!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

snazzy wrote: »
    It was a bitch.
    A total bitch.

I'm really really upset.
    I thought the questions were cheeky for the most parts - lots seemed to be regurgitated up from last year.

I just hope I can pass.
    This is the worst course in the LC and to be honest, despite my love of History, I wish I hadn't kept it on.
    SAME
    I love History but if I could choose my subjects again I would never pic history.
    Horrible exam more than anything. 3 essays grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

It may not be on the JC papers but I clearly do remember learning about objective/subjective etc in first year when we were doing stuff on sources/finding documents for being an uber cool historian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

It was a bitch.
    A total bitch.

I'm really really upset.

I just hope I can pass.
    totally agree they did it with irish as well
    did they run out of time drinking tea hen stetting the papers or something??????
    hated topic three on europr
    ended up with wartime alliances and technology:mad:

That was an awesome paper... If you picked your questions right. And I'm $hite at history :D The questions were so vague so it was incredible to answer any of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Mate? Yeah I'm your mate now... Or are you confusing mate with another word, you seem prone to that .. :rolleyes:

I just looked in the front of my LC books and saw it there, and in my JC book (can't recall the name, was a beige color with a computer mouse on it) it was in that.. But yeah I'm just lying to gain erm, um.. Yeah.. Something, I'm sure.
    tis called the past today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

It was a bitch.
    A total bitch.

I'm really really upset.

I just hope I can pass.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. History was my favorite subject and I plan to do it in college. But that exam has completely put me off the subject for the time being.

• Advertisement

Ha you still going on about the book??? The argument is the fact that it never appeared on a junior cert paper....and if you didn't realise yet, the term 'mate' was used in a sarcastic context..ah sure what else would else would I expect from someone who thinks they ask about the word objective in the junior cert...

Advertisement