Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History (HL) - The Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

I think the paper was fair enough but I didn't do enough study. The documents were fine, the European question on propaganda and terror couldn't have been nicer. My other 2 are basically half essays in bullet points! oops.:o hopefully a c overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

reckon i got a good E

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Was it not WWII in relation to Collaberation and Reistance though? I don't really remember the question but I don't think chirch state fit properly into it and will scream of "Learned off essay"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Sorry lads, I'm pretty sure Collaboration/Resistance refers to topics like Petain's cooperation with the Nazis in Vichy France, Vidkun Quisling in Norway etc etc. Check out the Dictatorship and Democracy book.

They're probably going to get Church State next year, lucky ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Oh wow, that's JC stuff. That's poor, man.
    Tevez101 asked a simple question; if you can't answer it without being condescending, don't bother answering.
    Tevez101 wrote: »
    Idiot.
    Claypigeon wrote: »
    How is dreamland this time of year? lol. Tool.

Infractions for both of you.
    No more of this stupid name-calling from now on. You're Leaving Cert students - act your age ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

phasers wrote: »
    Was it not WWII in relation to Collaberation and Reistance though? I don't really remember the question but I don't think chirch state fit properly into it and will scream of "Learned off essay"

yeah.....exactly. i don't think many examiners will look favourably on this at all. if you wanted to do an essay on collaboration/resistance, it would have been a good idea to base it around the actual chapter on that in the book. irrelevant points in history severly knock that 60mark segment of your essay. i amn't sure how you could have worked the church collaborating in at all during the war. i mean the reichskirche was hitlers brainchild, so you can hardly say that. catholics did take in jews to hide, but sure that was loads of people in society. maximillian colbert perhaps....an hardly even a paragraph could be extracted from that guy. err.....i think the guy who did this made an unwise, hasty move......

as for me, i was a bit thrown originally by the unexpected questions. damn, no progression of the war or rise of sinn fein or political instability in the 1980's....or anything really. then i settled in and did quite well really. 20 pages. i felt dizzy afterwards.

-De Valera anglo-irish or economy
    -economic and social challenges in britain 1920-45 (sickened that it went 6 years more than it should have.....maybe itll be marked easier)
    -how membership of the UN and EEC affected the republic.

woooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

I thought it was a hard enough paper. No predictions at all really apart from the document question! My pre was WAY easier. I expected people in my class to be raging but everyone seemed happy enough with it. How was religion linked to Document A? Was it just "A miracle has taken place"?!

I did Strike and Lockout (loved that)
    Anglo Irish Treaty (grand)
    Terror/ Proaganda wan. I kinda hated it. I always leave my crap essay til like the last 30 mins and try and do really well in the others. I rambled on about Lenin, Stalin, Hitler and Mussolini with very few facts. I think I said "promoted cult of personality" about a billion times.

Anyway thank the lord it's over!

yeah.....exactly. i don't think many examiners will look favourably on this at all. if you wanted to do an essay on collaboration/resistance, it would have been a good idea to base it around the actual chapter on that in the book. irrelevant points in history severly knock that 60mark segment of your essay. i amn't sure how you could have worked the church collaborating in at all during the war. i mean the reichskirche was hitlers brainchild, so you can hardly say that. catholics did take in jews to hide, but sure that was loads of people in society. maximillian colbert perhaps....an hardly even a paragraph could be extracted from that guy. err.....i think the guy who did this made an unwise, hasty move......

as for me, i was a bit thrown originally by the unexpected questions. damn, no progression of the war or rise of sinn fein or political instability in the 1980's....or anything really. then i settled in and did quite well really. 20 pages. i felt dizzy afterwards.

-De Valera anglo-irish or economy
    -economic and social challenges in britain 1920-45 (sickened that it went 6 years more than it should have.....maybe itll be marked easier)
    -how membership of the UN and EEC affected the republic.

woooooo

You did Govt, Society and Economy too? *high five*

I did the Whitaker/Lemass question...niiice.

Apparently it's pretty uncommon. Can't figure out why, it's only about one tenth of the size of Sovereignty and Partition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

anyone else feel their brain is fried after the exam? I've got a pounding headache and I keep forgetting mundane things-the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Did was the strike and lockout a success for Unions or whatever. North and South cultural identity which turned out to be alot easier then i thought and thank fup for technology in warfare all those years of watching the History channel paid off.....i know too much abouts guns and vehicles :o

Overall a bit of a shocking paper if you were unprepared for it (certainly if you went by the predictions) required alot of course work knowledge for once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Johner Feeney

yea...history was good our superintendent nice dev question.... gave us an extra 35 minutes so it was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

collaberation/resistance is the maquis and all those resistance groups

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Gi joe! wrote: »
    anyone else feel their brain is fried after the exam? I've got a pounding headache and I keep forgetting mundane things-the time!

Yeah. My arm is still wrecked too. But I've got a nice break now before my next exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i couldnt remember what objective was.after reading this thread i was wrong.when i thought of it i though of someone in court saying i object which gave me the idea that objectice means not in favour or against something.

god i messed that one up.

plus my essays were only 2 pages each.would i lose marks for a short essay because i dont think i should.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

Northern Ireland questions were so nice! I could have easily answered three of them, went with economy and society during the troubles in the end.

Sovereignty and partition - was tempted to do Northern Irish economy, but went with Anglo-Irish treaty instead, it was a grand one!

Dictatorship and democracy: Did the obvious one, propaganda and terror, and talked about mussolini, hitler and stalin. Would not have been able to answer any of the others lol!

Montgomery questions were very fair

Overall, very happy with the paper. Thank god, I put my heart and soul into this bloody exam! I still have three exams but i feel as if the hard part is over now and i can relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I was wrecked, just got home from coffee with a friend, my first actual break in like 3 weeks.

I thought that paper was a tad harsh. For example the Parnell Question required an acceptable knowledge of Butt, and although I like Butt, I am more of a boobs man myself.

Similarly the dictatorship "propaganda / terror" question was nice, but required referral to all 4 dictators.

The later Irish history I thought was dirty. Dev's economic / anglo irish question was a bit worrying, did it mean to say what did Dev do personally or what did FF do? I did the treaty question, badly. Most people seem to refer to what made the treaty contreversial in 1922, I mentioned how some of the things like the boundary commission remained contreversial, not sure how it will work out. Its on our course though, so maybe I'll get a nice examiner. (I also had a dig at Brian Cowen... I am such a loser)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

1fahy4 wrote: »
    You did Govt, Society and Economy too? *high five*

I did the Whitaker/Lemass question...niiice.

Apparently it's pretty uncommon. Can't figure out why, it's only about one tenth of the size of Sovereignty and Partition :)

ha, yeah, go lemass, haughey and all the kids! i actually like this section, it was pretty interesting. is there a book for it though? we didnt use one at all, just a load of notes from our teacher and bits of "ireland since the famine"....that epic f ucking tome. well, ive never met anyone else that did this section, so good luck!

i couldnt remember what objective was.after reading this thread i was wrong.when i thought of it i though of someone in court saying i object which gave me the idea that objectice means not in favour or against something.

god i messed that one up.

plus my essays were only 2 pages each.would i lose marks for a short essay because i dont think i should.

Marks are given per paragraph. Up to 12. 60 are awarded in this way. There are no limit to the number of paragraphs, theroetically you could just write 60 paragraphs and gain 1 mark each to get full marks. If you didn't write enough paragraphs you may not do as well as you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

errlloyd wrote: »
    Marks are given per paragraph. Up to 12. 60 are awarded in this way. There are no limit to the number of paragraphs, theroetically you could just write 60 paragraphs and gain 1 mark each to get full marks. If you didn't write enough paragraphs you may not do as well as you deserve.

Examiners are supposed to mark their own paragraphs in your work having read it once. So theoretically it shouldn't matter!

Examiners are supposed to mark their own paragraphs in your work having read it once. So theoretically it shouldn't matter!

Thats silly, I wrote 22 for each though so I should be ok (unless they average less than 4 ****ing marks per paragraph, that would make me cry)

• Advertisement

Ah like whoever was quoted above defo DID NOT fail. 20% in the back already, Doc was another 12 provided you're literate, and then 20% for the hitler question. Your fine.

ha, yeah, go lemass, haughey and all the kids! i actually like this section, it was pretty interesting. is there a book for it though? we didnt use one at all, just a load of notes from our teacher and bits of "ireland since the famine"....that epic f ucking tome. well, ive never met anyone else that did this section, so good luck!

It's actually dealt with in a book called "Modern Ireland"...has two other Irish sections in it too, but we didn't use it in class. We just got loads of notes too.

Yeah, I thought it was really interesting. I'll miss it...well no, but it wasn't too bad.:pac: Was hoping for Anglo Irish Relations but the question I did was nice too. Good luck to you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Okay I think I did fine on the Bus Boycott (Thank God it was that and not bloody Astronauts) but I messed up everything else :(

I really wanted CnaG/FF Economic/Social Policy Comparison....I guess I could have covered FF under the de Valera question but I knew C na G that bit better...I did the Treaty which I thought I knew well enough but I just screwed up completely, focused on the wrong stuff and forgot to have paragraphs till too late and didn't have many dates and went back and forth in time.....I really wanted Church/State relations and nothing there was good for me on Europe at all. I did Propaganda but that was terrible too and I only wrote one bloody paragraph on the Apprentice Boys because I was running out of time and I didn't know it that well even though our teacher kept telling us to go over it.....GAH!!!!!

I hope to God the Project + Montgomery + plus whatever coherent stuff I wrote elsewhere is all good enough to pass. I knew I'd screw up, I'm a terribly unfocused kind of person and I didn't have enough backups.....:(

Made my bed. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I'm an A student when it comes to History. The worst grade I've ever gotton is a B. But that went awful....

Document question was fine. Didn't write very much on question 4 but what I did write was decent.

Completely blanked on the older Irish topic so I skipped it and didn't have time to do it in the end :( The only thing I could've attempted was the Strike and Lockout but even if I had time I couldn't remember for the life of me why they were striking (I know - how stupid) and couldn't think of anything to write about past the first week of striking during Horse Show week.

The other topic was ok - I did the one on de Valera - couldn't remember any dates or facts so I definitely didn't do things chronologically. Only wrote half a page on deV's Anglo-Irish relations, the rest was economy. I said he managed Anglo-Irish relations better but actually not sure if that's what they're looking for because he only managed Anglo-Irish relations well from an Irish, nationalist point of view...?

Dictatorship and democracy was awful. I was certain Church State relations, anglo-american pop culture or anti semitism would come up. Neither of them did. I did the propaganda/terror question but I get put off with general questions. So I had no idea how to structure it. Started waffling and saying the usual stuff to do with Hitler/Mussolini/Stalin - couldn't think of any specifics so just said general stuff about propaganda and labour/concentration camps.

It really upset me because although I think I did worse in english and maths, this is something I'm supposed to be good at. And I worked it out and the most I can get in theory is 80%. I think I got 50% taking into account my special topic. It's not fair this is the one subject I studied for well...what a waste.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ah like whoever was quoted above defo DID NOT fail. 20% in the back already, Doc was another 12 provided you're literate, and then 20% for the hitler question. Your fine.

u do know it doesnt work like dis? just because you did the report does not automatically mean 20%, I think only the best of the best get that, and the doc question has a 40 marker, and the hitler question will be judged very harshly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

yea...history was good our superintendent nice dev question.... gave us an extra 35 minutes so it was nice
    GTFO? That's a disgrace if true. I suspect you jest?
    I'm an A student when it comes to History. The worst grade I've ever gotton is a B. But that went awful....

Document question was fine. Didn't write very much on question 4 but what I did write was decent.

Completely blanked on the older Irish topic so I skipped it and didn't have time to do it in the end :( The only thing I could've attempted was the Strike and Lockout but even if I had time I couldn't remember for the life of me why they were striking (I know - how stupid) and couldn't think of anything to write about past the first week of striking during Horse Show week.

The other topic was ok - I did the one on de Valera - couldn't remember any dates or facts so I definitely didn't do things chronologically. Only wrote half a page on deV's Anglo-Irish relations, the rest was economy. I said he managed Anglo-Irish relations better but actually not sure if that's what they're looking for because he only managed Anglo-Irish relations well from an Irish, nationalist point of view...?

Dictatorship and democracy was awful. I was certain Church State relations, anglo-american pop culture or anti semitism would come up. Neither of them did. I did the propaganda/terror question but I get put off with general questions. So I had no idea how to structure it. Started waffling and saying the usual stuff to do with Hitler/Mussolini/Stalin - couldn't think of any specifics so just said general stuff about propaganda and labour/concentration camps.

It really upset me because although I think I did worse in english and maths, this is something I'm supposed to be good at. And I worked it out and the most I can get in theory is 80%. I think I got 50% taking into account my special topic. It's not fair this is the one subject I studied for well...what a waste.

Don't worry about it. I was ready for an A in English and I paniced in the easiest paper 2 I've ever sat and will probably get a C or B! It was a tough history paper, I had the same essays as you prepared. You probably did better than you thought! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I feel much the same to be honest. I had gotten an A2 in the mock, and assumed my grade could only go up from there especially taking into account my Special Topic. However, that exam was extremely nasty and the questions were asked in a very awkward way. I now feel like the weeks I did of studying for History were completely in vain considering how badly that went for me. Hopefully I did enough to get some kind of C grade in it, but that is very unlikely. I'm just annoyed that my best subject going in to the Lc turned out to be my worst.

There goes my first 2 options on the CAO anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

I'm not sure why people are complaining about certain things not coming up, honestly preperation for history should only be having an understanding of the topics you're doing. If you have a general idea about the topics, e.g. Nazism then you just have to think critically. I really don't get the people that lerned essays, it's far far more productive to know the course in general then you can come up with stuff in the exam. The paper was fair, many of the questions were very open-ended and whilst the stuff some of you studied exclusively (which was rather silly) didn't come up, there were places you could integrate it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

u do know it doesnt work like dis? just because you did the report does not automatically mean 20%, I think only the best of the best get that, and the doc question has a 40 marker, and the hitler question will be judged very harshly.

The Doc question is worth 100 marks, not 40 :) Assuming you didn't just skip over the easy questions...

(It's worth 100 marks right, I didn't get THAT confused, right? Right?)

ETA: Yep, 100 Marks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

phlegms wrote: »
    I feel much the same to be honest. I had gotten an A2 in the mock, and assumed my grade could only go up from there especially taking into account my Special Topic. However, that exam was extremely nasty and the questions were asked in a very awkward way. I now feel like the weeks I did of studying for History were completely in vain considering how badly that went for me. Hopefully I did enough to get some kind of C grade in it, but that is very unlikely. I'm just annoyed that my best subject going in to the Lc turned out to be my worst.

There goes my first 2 options on the CAO anyway...

Same my first 4 options are between 480-540. I guess I will be stuck in Arts in UCD (not saying that's bad - it's just a last resort for me). I feel like why did I even bother studying so much if it just went that badly. And people will scorn A students saying they're never going to get a D but unlike in other subjects, this is a subject where an A student can do badly and a waster who does nothing all year can do well.

It's so frustrating! I'm terrible at English but I know I didn't study enough so I accept if I do bad in that. But for a subject I used to love and worked so hard at.......arrrgh is all I can say! At least it's over now!

Advertisement