Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter IV - Bit dissapoited with the prodction of the game

Options
  • 10-06-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭

After a long hiatus from street fighter, probably last played it on the snes, I finally played Street Fighter IV

After a few games with my brother a quickly remebered why i dont like playing fighting games :P

Neither of us would be great at fighting games but he has this knack of finding moves with people that i just cant stop, and uses them over and over again!

but anyways, Have only played it for a couple of hours and im already really sick of the commentator, he sounds pretty bored and says the same thing over and over and over! "This is going to be one hell of a show"

Also a bit dissapointed that the characters say the same thing at the start everytime too.

On another note i can really see why people would get the sticks, the controller is a bit dodge for it! (360)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I disagree with everything except the 360 pad part

Street Fight 4 is amazing !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Everyone will try and find "that move" - that's how you win......at anything. There is always a counter. Never pay attention to the commentator so that doesn't bother me. Even though I'm terrible at the game I do like it - though Seth has had me close to throwing things through my window......

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The commentator was annoying at first but I've just tuned him out now (you can also turn him off in the sound settings btw). The reason he's so cheesy and says the same thing over and over again is because that's been Street Fighter's style since after SF2. The Japanese like it and the western world has a love/hate relationship.

Although Street Fighter III didn't have the same in game commentator it was far worse for nonsensical stuff on character select screen.

Personally for me I think Street Fighter IV is the best new edition of a game I loved which has come out so long after the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

im already really sick of the commentator

reminds me of "sega rally championship"... we used to play that game in the arcade near my school every day during the break. After about 6 months the constant "long easy medium right, maybe" really grated. We pretty much knew off by heart what he was going to say on every turn in that game.

In regards to SFIV, yeah the commentator is uninspired. But I rarely even listen to him, I'm usually thinking about what possible moves the other guy is going to open with and how I'm going to counter them.

Also, in game, I changed my characters language to Japanese. I don't know what it is, I got bored of the english, but the Japanese never gets old.

It's a pity as Akuma though I can't choose his opener to be the one he uses when you fight him first in arcade mode: "My fists bleed death" sounds badass in Japanese.

One thing I was also wondering, if I change my characters language to Japanese, do the people I play against hear him in Japanese also? Even if they have their local language settings to English for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

he has this knack of finding moves with people that i just cant stop, and uses them over and over again!

im already really sick of the commentator

Also a bit dissapointed that the characters say the same thing at the start everytime too.

Thats why they introduced hyper-armour (using focus attack to absorb a hit) and revenge meter (ultra meter). Use them and he'll stop using the same moves over and over, unless he's a flowchart ken player :D

Commentator is lame but you should be listening to the moves not him!

As mentoned above, stick with the jap voices. They can't get boring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

L31mr0d wrote: »
    One thing I was also wondering, if I change my characters language to Japanese, do the people I play against hear him in Japanese also? Even if they have their local language settings to English for him?

Na, he hears whatever he has it set to.

Neither of us would be great at fighting games but he has this knack of finding moves with people that i just cant stop, and uses them over and over again!

Give us an example of a character he uses.

Like was said, a lot of moves you think you can't stop are made redundant with focus attacks.

A good example is I was playing against a cammy player last night who kept spamming spiral arrows and cannon spikes. I lost the first round to them, but in the second and third I used nothing but focus attacks (followed up by some bnb stuff). Characters with single hit special moves can be severely punished if the player is very readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I think SFIV is one of the best produced games I have played in ages and I suck royally at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

maybe production is the wrong word? Its the finishing touches im dissapointed with.

Big russian guy, hurricane spin punch (I like giving things their own name :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

maybe production is the wrong word? Its the finishing touches im dissapointed with.

Cool, I can see how the points you mentioned could be irritating its just the game itself is well made. Looks good, no real bugs I can think of, class intro video. Plays decenlty.

I am struggling to think of a phrase for the things you describe actually, mannerisms maybe?

Who do you like to play as? The advice might be tailored towards the character you use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm a blank slate to be honest! I can beat him with ehonda but its a pretty boring fight, I just back away and after i block it hit him with the combo punches.

lol :D, I actually kinda already thought he was using Zangief, but didn't want to assume.

If you want to quickly school him use Cammy's spiral arrow or Blankas Beast Slide when he starts spamming lariats (just bring up the move list for your character from the pause menu)

Akuma is also good against a scrub gief, they won't even be able to touch you, and you can just teleport out when he tries to back you into a corner.

EDIT:
    I'm a blank slate to be honest! I can beat him with ehonda but its a pretty boring fight, I just back away and after i block it hit him with the combo punches.

Try the challenges and trials. Start out with getting the ropes with Ryu, Ken, Sagat... etc. Thing is though, matches against beginner giefs will always be boring. Do yourself a favour and maybe ban him from being used if the game is getting boring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think you two are both just a bit green to street fighter. You'll get better at it and discover just how deep it really is. Spamming a special move is a sure fire way to get beaten when a decent player will know how to counter it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Back in the old days of video game magazines micro reviewing games to a tee, what you are describing was known as "presentation". :)

Pick Guile. Duck and then press fierce kick as soon as he starts his move. Guile will do 2 roundhouse sweep kicks. Your second kick will knock him over. Repeat.

Guile wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SDooM wrote: »
    Guile wins!
    Guile never wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I dunno how anyone could think this game has bad production or presentation :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Guile never wins.

My Guile got me to G2 a week ago, dispite me being out of the country 3/4 of the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Jim wrote: »
    The commentator was annoying at first but I've just tuned him out now (you can also turn him off in the sound settings btw)

Unless they changed it with the Championship patch, no you can't. Only way to turn him off before that was introduced was to turn off the SFX entirely, has this been changed?

edit: And versus Zangief's lariat, every character has ways to beat it, usually targetting his head or feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

L31mr0d wrote: »
    reminds me of "sega rally championship"... we used to play that game in the arcade near my school every day during the break. After about 6 months the constant "long easy medium right, maybe" really grated. We pretty much knew off by heart what he was going to say on every turn in that game.

In regards to SFIV, yeah the commentator is uninspired. But I rarely even listen to him, I'm usually thinking about what possible moves the other guy is going to open with and how I'm going to counter them.

Also, in game, I changed my characters language to Japanese. I don't know what it is, I got bored of the english, but the Japanese never gets old.

It's a pity as Akuma though I can't choose his opener to be the one he uses when you fight him first in arcade mode: "My fists bleed death" sounds badass in Japanese.

Mine is set to english,
    I'll giv eyou a game some time to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Mine is set to english,
    I'll giv eyou a game some time to find out
    I really doubt other people's settings will override your own local setting. If you are playing L31mr0d, how would sf4 decide whether to use his jap setting or your english setting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I just couldn't take to SFIV, and I did try. Rented it for a week before I was going to buy it, and I played for about 3 days, and then forgot about it. (Ended up returning it late because I did forget about it :o)

I tried with the best will in the world to like it, but I just found it a bit, I don't know, soulless I think.

I hate when people stick with simple repeditive moves, it just gets dull, Honda's bitch slap being one that irks in particular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honda's bitch slap being one that irks in particular.

Unless it's being used at the end of a combo it's one of the easiest moves to punish people for using. The game is designed so that there's always a counter for using these moves repetitively, half the fun is finding out ways of punishing each mistake or move by your opponent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Unless it's being used at the end of a combo it's one of the easiest moves to punish people for using. The game is designed so that there's always a counter for using these moves repetitively, half the fun is finding out ways of punishing each mistake or move by your opponent.

My problem is that I am stuck in SF2/Alpha 1 mode

I do not have time to play the game enough anymore. Because of this I will whoop most people in SF2 but get hammered in IV

So... how do I counter "HOLY-GOD-range" SPDs then?

Just don't let that ****er near you. Another way to do it is that if you get knocked down a bad zangief player will always try and spd you as you get up and it's nigh on unreversable especially with a super or ultra. the only way is to jump straight up which gets you out of it. A good zangief player will mix in a few lariats on get up which can feck you up on get up. I just always jump straight up, taking a lariat hit is much better than any form of spd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

At the beginning I set all the characters I could to Japanese (Ryu in English is just wrong...). After awhile I set all the English speaking characters to English and all the "foreign" characters to Japanese and everything sounds much better.

There are some exceptions, Jap Ken > Eng Ken. Also Bison in English is way better just to hear him yell "DIE!" and "THIS PLACE SHALL BECOME YOUR GRAVE!".

• Moderators Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Azza

At he Lariat. Zangief is hated in this game because of this one move. It has priority over pretty much everything on reaction.

It allows him to evade fireballs and close up slighly from range and beats out nearly every other move.

Like when you play against Blanka you can not jump at him pretty much ever. His Lariat if done late enough will beat all jump ins. This means you pretty much can not cross him up on knock down which means knocks downs against Zangief are not the advantage they are against other characters.

Larait will beat basically all normals and specials except Blanka's Beast Roll and Beast Slide and Cammys Spiral Arrow as well as Dhalsim and Seths low stretch punches. However the Lariat is also can be attacked during its third rotation. Pretty much any move (Bisons and Roses s.rk for example) will beat out the Lariat in the third rotation. So if you time your specials or a jump in you can beat him clean. Also if you block the lariat and he stays close feel free to sweep him.

Keep the mofo out at all costs.

Punishing with Abel's Ultra on 3rd rotation would be great, except:
    • No good Gief throws out random PPPs if Abel has Ultra.
      and
    • It just plain DOESN'T work half the time!

Abel vs Gief is one of those "give up now" matchups.

Just don't let that ****er near you. Another way to do it is that if you get knocked down a bad zangief player will always try and spd you as you get up and it's nigh on unreversable especially with a super or ultra. the only way is to jump straight up which gets you out of it. A good zangief player will mix in a few lariats on get up which can feck you up on get up. I just always jump straight up, taking a lariat hit is much better than any form of spd.

Or jump any other direction (I think) or backdash should work too (which would also avoid lariat). Also I don't really agree with your definition of "good" if they're SPD/lariating on wakeup every time. :pac:

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »
    Like when you play against Blanka you can not jump at him pretty much ever. His Lariat if done late enough will beat all jump ins. This means you pretty much can not cross him up on knock down which means knocks downs against Zangief are not the advantage they are against other characters.

Same for playing vs Blanka though cause of electricity. :pac:

edit: whoops, double post

Advertisement