Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to apply?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I want to apply for the veterinary degree course for 2010. When is the earliest that i can apply?
    Also do i have to pay course fees or receive grants to live and travel?
    I need all the help in the world.
    BTW i'm scottish and lived in ireland since end of 2006.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

By "degree course" do you mean graduate entry - already having a suitable undergraduate degree? If so, there are more details of the procedure here. Or, if you mean undergraduate entry, it's the almost the same as any degree, except that the academic requirements are strict - see here for the A-Levels you need.

Either way, your first stop for application will be the CAO. I can't see a date for applications, but it's definitely too early. You would need to apply by the end of January for 2010 entry.

You would only be entitled to free* tuition for a first degree, never for a second degree, which graduate entry would be. Some folks might tell you that mature students (23+) don't get free tuition: that is wrong, it's a misunderstanding based on the fact that mature students at UCD are typically doing second degrees - but there are exceptions, such as myself. Age alone is not a factor there.

Someone else may know more about the Grants situation. If you apply for one, it will be means-tested, meaning you'll be asked to supply full details of your finances (or your parents', if under 23). The grants are not good e.g. they would not fully cover the high cost of renting in Dublin, though your situation may be different.

Oh, and if anyone tells you you need to learn Gaelic Irish, ignore them - you could be asked to show your passport and get an exemption form stamped, but I wasn't.

* free currently, but keep an eye on the papers, since the situation may be changing soon, especially for 2010 entry.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement