Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying my first car today.

• 10-06-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Hello all, buying my first car today and I want to make sure I dont make any stupid mistakes. I've looked at the car already and stuff so thats not the issue. I just want to know what I need to get. The log book... what else? Is there some kindof procedure that makes the car mine? Total novice here. Its a private sale by the way.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

1. Check the service history. Ring the garages to make sure the car was serviced as per the stamps in the book. If a cambelt is due, make sure it's been done.

2. Make sure there's no outstanding finance on the car - www.cartell.ie, perhaps there are others?

3. Have you had a mechanic look over the car? If not, it might be a good idea.

4. You fill out your details in the VLC, and the seller posts it. I'd go to the letterbox with them, just to make sure it's done straight away.

Edit: I presume you've arranged insurance so you can drive the car home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Anan1 wrote: »
    1. Check the service history. Ring the garages to make sure the car was serviced as per the stamps in the book. If a cambelt is due, make sure it's been done.

2. Make sure there's no outstanding finance on the car - www.cartell.ie, perhaps there are others?

3. Have you had a mechanic look over the car? If not, it might be a good idea.

4. You fill out your details in the VLC, and the seller posts it. I'd go to the letterbox with them, just to make sure it's done straight away.

Edit: I presume you've arranged insurance so you can drive the car home?
    Ya no thanks for all that but thats all stuff that I have sorted I just wanted to know things like point number 4, the official stuff. So just the VLC and the Log book ya?

The Vehicle Licensing Cert (VLC) is commonly referred to as the log book, they're the same thing. Also make sure that all the details on the log book (reg, chassis no, make/model, colour, etc) match up with the actual car.

Ah thats where I was confused. Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Hope all goes well. Good luck & happy motoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

You normally don't get the log book you just sign it and the person selling the car sends it off for you. Thats done so if lets say you dont bother sending the log book off for weeks and get parking fines and stuff in that time, it will all be sent to the person who you bought the car off.

Hello hello, another question. I'm going on the insurance under my mothers name just until July as I have my test then. So who signs the VLC? Me or my mother? She will technically be the main driver in the insurance's eyes. And before ye all go ranting about how its illegal blah blah, i know, i know but everyone does it. Most people do it all the time. I'm just doing it for a month until I get my full licence. When I get my full licence and switch the insurance to my name, will I have to send off the VLC with my signature?

The name on the VLC is the name of the registered owner of the car - it has nothing to do with insurance, except that some ins cos will require that the car be registered to the proposer. Best check with the ins cos involved. For what it's worth, your lying on the proposal form makes no difference to any of us - we're not the ones who'll be screwed if you crash.;)

Advertisement