Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway Blizzards

Options
  • 10-06-2009 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

looks like we're up and running
    i have already raised 50% of the cash so we need a drive now to get the full distance
    has anyone any suggestions
    we've held race nights, bingo, poker and other fund raising events
    at the min Subway are the main sponsor - i need to secure two more "main sponsors" though
    any suggestions

our games will be held at alternating venues - so far, bray, blanch and belfield are planned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 QuinnyC

Hey,

Is the trial still on tomorrow at 11am in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

So how did yer first work out go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

What league are you planning on playing in?

Well Conno, you seem to have the organisation skills for an Irish league. I brought along 3 potntial SL players to your trial on saturday. Well the supposed trial because there was nobody there and staff at gym had not even heard of your booking.

Good to see the commitment. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So are you really setting up this team, or is you just into wasting peoples time. If you are really setting it up, you missed out on seeing some very good young players that i brought along on sat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

i had to postpone due to other commitments
    deora was there for most of the day though so dont know what court you were at quinny?

we have a team together
    €500 quid reg fee required which has put some people off but its where we're at currently
    as i said we'll be playing some exhibition games over the course of july
    i'll let you know and perhaps you might like to join us for a few hoops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

i see the blizzards got off to a good start. LOL

conno16 wrote: »
    €500 quid reg fee required which has put some people off but its where we're at currently

If I was playing national league level with all the travel costs etc involved then I wouldn't be expecting to pay for fees.

Thats Bull Coono. Main court had a dodge ball tournament on which was booked in for ages and the rock wall court had a football record attempt on. I was there from half ten til 11.20 and D was not there. Any I agree with Kinetic, there is no way that you can expect SL PLayers to pay fees. Why would they choose your club over one of the others if they have to outlay that sort of money.

And also I dont know how many players you were expecting, but me and the boys I brought were the only ones that even turned up, and thats with no cancelation notice up here.

Anyway thats my rant over.

Update: the registration of Subway Blizzards has been postponed for 12 months due to economic reasons

apologies for any confusion caused in the past.
    we, the management, are currently exploring options to formally establish the club with Basketball Ireland and locate within the Greater Dublin Area

we will however be hosting a number of competitions, in partnership with our sponsors (Subway, Volvic and Abbott Ireland) over the winter and spring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Two things.

Firstly there isnt enough players willing or able to play super league in dublin to be able to field another competitive team.

Secondly no super league player will pay fees. The time we put in and travel expenses is such a huge commitment that to be expected to pay to play is just to much and will make you lose player very very quickly. Its becoming such a commitment that id be expecting to be payed for my travel expenses instead of pay the club to play. At an estimate, id spend close to a grand a year if not more for basketball, between basketball, equipment, travel, food on trips, and the other odds that crop up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Why would you expect other people to reach into their pockets and pay so that you can play basketball?!? I never understood that one...

Its guys like Conno who give up their time to set up a team/club or whatever so that young players can get on the court and play. They have to put up with all the headaches involved with setting up a team, why should he have to pay so you can play some basketball. He's given up his time without asking to play (maybe he wants in on this team, but others in the past havent) - if you want to play basketball, you should be the one to pay for it and thank the guy who set everything up for you (as long as he's not profiting from it - which I'm sure, if its Irish sport, he's not!)

nialo wrote: »
    Two things.

Firstly there isnt enough players willing or able to play super league in dublin to be able to field another competitive team.

Secondly no super league player will pay fees. The time we put in and travel expenses is such a huge commitment that to be expected to pay to play is just to much and will make you lose player very very quickly. Its becoming such a commitment that id be expecting to be payed for my travel expenses instead of pay the club to play. At an estimate, id spend close to a grand a year if not more for basketball, between basketball, equipment, travel, food on trips, and the other odds that crop up..

Nialo - you seem to have misunderstood the concept here

there are definately enough players willing and able to play super league in ireland. the response we got through colleges and club teams was simply phenonomen. granted the standard of players in terms of ability ranged considerably but we could have fielded two teams had we needed to.

the 500 fee was a drop in the ocean. i was planning on maintaining a panel of 22 players. thats 11k. hardly gonna finance the team.
    it was merely to get us up and running. on payment players would receive equipment, travel and other expenses. so it was much like an investment.

our sponsors were really the ones getting this show on the road but unfortunately could not commit the resources we provisionally agreed back in early 2009.

we have a model that will work here at the Subway Blizzards and thankfully we are not reliant on people like your good self for its application.

Ireland is a sleeping giant in basketball terms. with some proper investment i believe we can become a force in european basketball and the subway blizzards will be used as a vehicle to progress this.

please note that Deora Marsh is no longer affiliated to the blizzards due to other current commitments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

QuinnyC wrote: »
    Thats Bull Coono. Main court had a dodge ball tournament on which was booked in for ages and the rock wall court had a football record attempt on. I was there from half ten til 11.20 and D was not there. Any I agree with Kinetic, there is no way that you can expect SL PLayers to pay fees. Why would they choose your club over one of the others if they have to outlay that sort of money.

And also I dont know how many players you were expecting, but me and the boys I brought were the only ones that even turned up, and thats with no cancelation notice up here.

Anyway thats my rant over.

Did you explain what happened this day??

anyone who contacted the blizzards in advance to notify of interest was duly contacted in excess of 24 hours prior to the session
    never heard from quinny before this

anyone who contacted the blizzards in advance to notify of interest was duly contacted in excess of 24 hours prior to the session

How did people go about contacting the blizzards then?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

conno is a WUM. check out all his posts.. WUMMERY of the highest order. mildly entertaining though :) I think all these schemes reside in his imagination.

Maybe you should focus on getting the hanidcap down Conno

You should've got these guys to sponsor you.......

waffle.jpg

Seriously, stop talking crap. When you get a sponsor, you get them to sign something. A roster of 22 is retared as well, prople were to pay €500 and not even get on the bench, nevermind on the court.

You clearly have no clue what you're doing. I suggest you try and run a division 6/7 team before you try and run a national league squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Why would you expect other people to reach into their pockets and pay so that you can play basketball?!? I never understood that one...

Its guys like Conno who give up their time to set up a team/club or whatever so that young players can get on the court and play. They have to put up with all the headaches involved with setting up a team, why should he have to pay so you can play some basketball. He's given up his time without asking to play (maybe he wants in on this team, but others in the past havent) - if you want to play basketball, you should be the one to pay for it and thank the guy who set everything up for you (as long as he's not profiting from it - which I'm sure, if its Irish sport, he's not!)

Superleague basketball is a semi professional game if you haven't noticed.....US imports gets all their expenses paid and a salary to play maybe 10 hours basketball with a superleague team a week. Any idea that superleague basketball is structured like, for example, the GAA which is an amateur sport is unfair. Irish based players give up not only their time to train and play matches but also have to put their hand in their pockets to pay for grub, petrol and in some cases for using the gym!

With all due respect to Conno, whose intentions are honourable and true to the game of basketball, he hasn't put his best foot forward on this forum. Organising a training session/try out in UCD for potential players to turn up only to find that the venue was neither booked or attended by Conno and the blizzards isn't a platform to inspire confidence in potential signings.

It also seems unusual to secure sponsors before the team proper is finalised and also without a home court. The latter is probably the key ingredient as it may help entice players from that catchment area.

In fairness to Conno and the blizzards, the only thing he has generated is a storm.....in a tea cup!

representatives of the Subway Blizzards have used a range of media to advertise the establishment of the team
    re the home court, we had three different offers to consider
    re sponsorship we had a strong commitment from 2 sponsors (volvic and abbott) and a signed contract with subway
    deora marsh was working with us on a consultancy basis
    we had a roster of 28 players
    somehow i think the blizzards would have been fine had we been able to secure funding from private sponsors and relevant govt departments
    if we were to locate within a specific area we also would have had the option to avail of some philanthropic funding

Subway Blizzards will be in place for 2010/11 - that you can be sure of
    we simply tried to complete a range of necessary actions within too small a window of time

• Advertisement

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    You should've got these guys to sponsor you.......

You clearly have no clue what you're doing. I suggest you try and run a division 6/7 team before you try and run a national league squad.

why dont you suggest that to deora next time you meet him

i really take offence to some of the criticisms directed at me here
    our intentions were completely honourable if somewhat naive

Conno I think you will find that i displayed my interes on here days before and even checked with you on boards about the venue. You replied about 3-4 days before hand saying it was going ahead. But then after intially advertng it here you didnt even put up a post to say it was off. Then you lied and said D Marsh was there that morning. I have known D for years through ball and know that he was definatly not there taht morning.

All you had to do was post it here man.

I raelly do believe that you are just a time waster. I told you I had a number of guys that are making there way 2 S League standard and you never tried to make contact about them after you fake session. By the way UCD had never even heard of the booking.
    I really think its all bull.

If im wrong, then for the sake of Irish BBall i hope it works out and that you have an abundance of young talent.

Ok im done on this subject now.

i have admitted there were some cracks in our approach
    some players undoubtedly fell through
    we blitzed a load of contacts and no doubt did not follow up on all
    someone replying to an internet forum ad was most likely to fall victim to our early unprofessionalism, and for that i apologise

why dont you suggest that to deora next time you meet him

i really take offence to some of the criticisms directed at me here
    our intentions were completely honourable if somewhat naive

Why would anyone say anything to Deora about it, did you not state that he has no affiliation with you anymore. Look until you can provide prove that your genuine then i think you'll just be considered to be full of sh1te. Ive said it already and ill say it again, if im wrong ill stand up and admit it and apologise.

he has no affiliation with us cause there isn't an "us" at the min
    he has to put bread on the table like the rest of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Enzo Scifo

re sponsorship we had a strong commitment from 2 sponsors (volvic and abbott) and a signed contract with subway

Wow, in the current climate you have 3 sponsors :rolleyes: well done mate.

we had a roster of 28 players

Could you give us some names so that we could ask them about the secret new super league team (or are there names secret as well)

somehow i think the blizzards would have been fine had we been able to secure funding from private sponsors and relevant govt departments

Me thinks the next time we see the blizzards is when they play the Olympia in September.

Subway Blizzards will be in place for 2010/11 - that you can be sure of
    we simply tried to complete a range of necessary actions within too small a window of time

Would that window of time happen each night for about 8 hours zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i thought 3 sponsors actually was quite good

no - why should i share the details of potential players for other teams to use. as i said, a mixed bag of ability and experience

we have a PT project manager currently working on getting the blizzards up and running

no - why should i share the details of potential players for other teams to use. as i said, a mixed bag of ability and experience

we have a PT project manager currently working on getting the blizzards up and running

Who would that be then?

a business associate
    he has worked in various different sports including hockey, tennis and golf
    its just PM and discussions with sponsors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Enzo Scifo

In the current climate, long established teams are struggling to find a sponsor yet you claim that a non existant team with no players who will play their games at places begining with B have 3 already :P I heard Sir Charles is not doing the camp because he signed for the Blizzards.

Advertisement